Laptop screen auto dimming

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Laptop screen auto dimming

Post by Montana »

I know this is a long shot, but many of you folks are computer experts.

When I bought my laptop a couple of years ago, it is a Dell with Microsoft Windows 11 on it, it has a very annoying habit which we have never been able to solve. We have searched the web and tried everything but it still does it.

Every time a dark image comes up on the screen the screen automatically dims right down, then when you go back to a bright page it brightens up. This is an absolute nightmare for solar imaging. I am increasingly finding it very tough when imaging because the screen dims when I use Firecapture as most of the image is dark. I find it very hard to focus or see faint proms. I am sure my images have suffered over the past couple of years because of this. I also have difficulty when processing to. It is impossible to know how bright or dark your image is or see fine details in proms. Even looking at your images on SolarChat, when I click on an image to view up close, the screen dims right down. It is the most irritating feature ever and I can't find how to stop this anywhere in either Dell software or Microsoft software. After imaging with my PST's the other night I was at the end of my tether.

Has anyone had the same problem and solved it, if you have, I would be so thankful of knowing the answer.

Kind regards
Alexandra

pupak
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Laptop screen auto dimming

Post by pupak »

Hi Alexadra,
the motebook has a problem with the backlight control. The regulator is incorrectly set and is not linear. Only service can help here. The only chance is that you can turn off some function in the Bios, such as dynamic contrast, automatic backlight control and the like. But it should be done by someone who knows IT.
Petr

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Laptop screen auto dimming

Post by Montana »

Oh, thanks Petr :(

Alexandra