Technology of Skywatcher SolarQuest mount

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Solarscout
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Technology of Skywatcher SolarQuest mount

Post by Solarscout »

https://youtu.be/JoNGtDa2W9s

Found this video that attempts to explain fundamentals of how SolarQuest works. Anyone else got a detailed explanation? Could this be replicated at a cheaper price through other means?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230820-123119_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230820-123119_YouTube.jpg (448 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

Solarscout
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Technology of Skywatcher SolarQuest mount

Post by Solarscout »

Screenshots from presentation
Attachments
Screenshot_20230820-123135_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230820-123135_YouTube.jpg (477.61 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

Solarscout
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solarscout »

Continued
Attachments
Screenshot_20230820-123210_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230820-123210_YouTube.jpg (573.59 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Screenshot_20230820-123142_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230820-123142_YouTube.jpg (607.11 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Found this video that attempts to explain fundamentals of how SolarQuest works. Anyone else got a detailed explanation?
Hmmm... I find video succeeds in explaining the fundamentals of how the SolarQuest works quite well. Surprised that you don't find that video's explanation detailed enough. If your talking about operation, see here.

It's pretty simple. The tripod is leveled with the bubble centered. Orient the OTA and mount to be a bit east (to the left) of the Sun in the northern hemisphere. Push the ON button and the mount levels and the GPS identifies local time, lat and long, and calculates the solar altitude, points the telescope mount, and then the sensor refines pointing accuracy and begins tracking. Any slight adjustment needed is performed with the rocker and then saved. The Suns stays centered for hours.

The only thing I find kinda dumb is the red steady LED indicates normal operation, and a green LED flashes with obstruction or loss of signal of the sensor. It seems green flashing and then steady for locating and tracking would be more appropriate, and red flashing for obstruction/LOS.

I would disagree with in the video with regard to equatorial mounts. With a good equatorial mount with an accurate true North azimuth orientation and setting of the latitude adjustment, care, and experience, you can get pretty decent solar daytime tracking. I typically have a well-centered Sun with my Losmandy G-11 or Questar for 1-2 hours or more quite easily.
Could this be replicated at a cheaper price through other means?
Use an existing equatorial you may own with solar rate tracking (or not - just make an occasional adjustment for small sidereal v solar rate drift), or an Alt-Az GOTO mount you may have which might be able to also track the Sun (but perhaps not as accurately as the SolarQuest due to lack of the photosensor).

or

Buy it used.

I love the SolarQuest.

For me tracking is a must however you get it done, and the SolarQuest is relatively inexpensive, simple, and a joy to use.

Small solar outreach scopes.jpg
Small solar outreach scopes.jpg (487.81 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

Bob

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Solarscout
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solarscout »

Thanks. I find it intriguing that the presenter attempts to reverse engineer its solar positioning algorithm. He admits that he doesn't know what formula SolarQuest is using and speculates on why manual adjustments are likely needed to focus it on the Sun. I don't really understand the trigonometry equation, background not in physics, but curious how it is all programed into Heliofind sensor