Prom classification of this AM "tree" shape

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Prom classification of this AM "tree" shape

Post by LostInSpace »

Nov. 29th, 1000-1100 local (-6 GMT). Linear binoviewer perspective is NE limb. Assuming like the refractor the image is inverted. So SE? Larger Prominence that resembles the shape of a white oak tree. Closest guess is a hedgerow, but with one major vertical section and distinct "crown".

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Prom classification of this AM "tree" shape

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Yes, Bush or tree shaped prominences are usually classified as hedgerow prominences.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Dec. 7th @ ~1300 CST(-6GMT). Another different shaped prominence. West side is firing off. SE limb the "smoke stack". Almost cylinder, column shaped flare. The "smoke stack". Prom dissipates creating an illusion of a gap. Then like the smoke or water vapor reaching high level shear winds it runs parallel with the limb for about 30 degrees. Massive trail. First ever observed. What would be the proper classification of this form of prominence? At the "downwind" tail of the "smoke" there is another prom. Guessing this is some form of hybrid. Hedgerow/Disparition Brusque? Maybe a very tall and long Platform Arch? I'm a bit clueless again.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Was this it? viewtopic.php?t=43367

I would say it was a disparition brusque event, a sudden lift off of a quiescent filament.

Alexandra

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Similar to the linked image later in the time sequence. A few moments before the "smoke" disappears, when the prom on the left shapes into the column. Position was different. Beginning to end of the "smoke" location was on the W limb running ~20 to 50 degrees. Flare located at ~45 degrees on the video image looks similar to where the tail end of the "smoke" terminated. Still significantly detached. Not sure on the time lapse of the image. What I viewed was a stable prominence.

Is this lift off type of prominence relatively common? Common or not a great capture by Simon2940.

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

LostInSpace wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:44 pm Similar to the linked image later in the time sequence. A few moments before the "smoke" disappears, when the prom on the left shapes into the column. Position was different. Beginning to end of the "smoke" location was on the W limb running ~20 to 50 degrees. Flare located at ~45 degrees on the video image looks similar to where the tail end of the "smoke" terminated. Still significantly detached. Not sure on the time lapse of the image. What I viewed was a stable prominence.

Is this lift off type of prominence relatively common? Common or not a great capture by Simon2940.
Lift offs happen fairly frequently, catching them for an animation is pretty much pure luck and timing. Lift offs of proms this large are fairly rare simply because proms of this size are fairly rare!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/