Locally only partial, but...

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Locally only partial, but...

Post by LostInSpace »

Still excited. Hope the weather conditions cooperate. Striking out when it comes to eclipse viewing conditions. Have never direct viewed an eclipse. Now I have a Baader Solar Filter on the ancient Nikon 50mm 15-45x spotting scope and the Lunt 50. DS etalon finally arrived a few days ago. Have only had 2 sessions using it. A few weeks ago the FeatherTouch focuser finally showed up. Worth the long, long waits for both.

Decision time. Which setup or both. Eclipse starts at ~1230 and ends ~1500 local time.

rigel123
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Locally only partial, but...

Post by rigel123 »

LostInSpace wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:21 pm Still excited. Hope the weather conditions cooperate. Striking out when it comes to eclipse viewing conditions. Have never direct viewed an eclipse. Now I have a Baader Solar Filter on the ancient Nikon 50mm 15-45x spotting scope and the Lunt 50. DS etalon finally arrived a few days ago. Have only had 2 sessions using it. A few weeks ago the FeatherTouch focuser finally showed up. Worth the long, long waits for both.

Decision time. Which setup or both. Eclipse starts at ~1230 and ends ~1500 local time.
Since it is a partial for you I’d be tempted to go with Ha and see if I could catch the moon first eclipsing some proms on the limb prior to first contact.

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
AstroBees
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by AstroBees »

I agree with Rigel. Go with the Lunt.

Lunt 80mm Ha double stack
Explore Scientific ED152 CF APO with Baader ASTF Whitelight film & Baader Solar Continuum filter
All piggybacked on a Astro-Physics Mach 1.
LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Lunt it is. Minimal effort to set up the spotting scope. Nice seeing conditions today. ~0C, with fresh heavy layer of snow covering the ground. Radiant heat was intense. No gloves or heavy outerwear needed. Fingers crossed for similar seeing conditions on the 8th. One issue are the tall red oaks that were an issue between 1400 and 1500 local time. Eclipse starts at ~1230 and ends ~1500. The very top of the trees interfere with the view. Need another ~5degrees of altitude. Hopefully position of the sun in ~11 days will be high enough.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

LostInSpace wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm Lunt it is. Minimal effort to set up the spotting scope. Nice seeing conditions today. ~0C, with fresh heavy layer of snow covering the ground. Radiant heat was intense. No gloves or heavy outerwear needed. Fingers crossed for similar seeing conditions on the 8th. One issue are the tall red oaks that were an issue between 1400 and 1500 local time. Eclipse starts at ~1230 and ends ~1500. The very top of the trees interfere with the view. Need another ~5degrees of altitude. Hopefully position of the sun in ~11 days will be high enough.
Hi,
Need another ~5degrees of altitude. Hopefully position of the sun in ~11 days will be high enough.
I checked today and the difference between today en April 8th will be about 4 degrees higher. You can check it with a Planetarium software

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Have spotted out two locations on the property to allow for unobstructed viewing. Only a ~12 meter move to view around the tall cluster of red oaks. Did a trial set up and observation and all is good. But the weather forecast went from sunny to cloudy in 24hrs. Still too far off in the future to be concerned. Like most outdoors activity up here we just use forecasts as trends. Looking outside the morning of the planned activity and quick look at the radar precipitation and isobar image for the days trends. Anyone that uses the NOAA/NWS forecast for planning will be 50% or greater disappointed.