Easter pick and mix sweet shop - SeeStar

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Easter pick and mix sweet shop - SeeStar

Post by Montana »

What fun!! the only ever time I have had fun under the stars was in Spain imaging with Andy Devey. On Saturday evening we stayed up late and I really enjoyed the SeeStar and was much more confident. We set it up in the middle of the back garden then sat inside the conservatory where it was mildy warm but we could still see the stars. For the next 2 and half hours we randomly picked object after object and had such fun gradually watching the image grow on the phone. The galaxies were amazing but the nebulas were a bit disappointing. If only I had started out all those years ago with a Seestar :)

Image2024-03-30 M101 Pinwheel galaxy 15min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2024-03-30 M51 Whirlpool galaxy 10min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2024-03-30 M94 Crocs eye galaxy 10min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2024-03-30 M104 Sombrero galaxy 10min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2024-03-30 M3 globular cluster 5min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2024-03-30 NGC1491 Fossil nebula 10min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2024-03-30 IC417 Spider nebula 15min by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

I hope you all had a Happy Easter!
Alexandra

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Easter pick and mix sweet shop - SeeStar

Post by KMH »

Very nice! It does seem like a good way to get started with imaging deep sky objects. Beware: like solar, it can be a slippery slope!

Kevin

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Alexandra,

You are getting better and better. Nice round stars

:cool:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys :) I think it was the first time we really had fun, so that has to be a good thing :hamster:

Rainer, I felt the stars were worse ;) It is supposed to reject images which show star trails, which it does because I see it rejecting them. However, I was very disappointed that it doesn't reject images taken during an Intercity train passing :( I would get 7-10 minutes in with the 10 sec stacks, a very long and fast train would pass, then the next stack wouldn't be rejected and some bright stars would then look like Saturn and start to ruin the image. It ruined a few that night. One image I thought Saturn was in the field of view! :( So I am not sure how it detects presence of star trails in order to reject them because it can't detect blurred and shaken images.

Alexandra

LostInSpace
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LostInSpace »

Thanks for sharing. You are stoking the interest in the SeeStar.

Never thought I would be interested in imaging, but the SeeStar is tempting. Not too expensive and it seems to have a simpler UI. Plus optically under higher magnification/ low exit pupil size I am now noticing "floaters". Add slowly increasing astigmatism. Live view and image capture with SeeStar might be the better option in the future. But bit of a "luddite", analog person. Wondering if the software also rejects images that capture manmade space hardware zipping through the fov. Don't remember the last time observing at night where either or both naked eye or optical fov something didn't zip by. Use to think it was "cool". Now too common. If an imager it would be more than annoying. Aging eyeballs, light pollution creeping in (use to be Bortle 2 area), too much space stuff. Maybe time to just focus on solar observation. I still think it is "cool" when anything flies through the fov while observing the Sun. Latest was an upside-down(linear binoviewer) commercial airliner.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I am really enjoying it and it doesn't seem to mind light pollution too much either (our skies are awful). However, it doesn't remove space junk unfortunately. I was taking a lovely 10 minute image, got to 9 minutes and suddenly a streak zipped in. Leaving it for another 5 minutes seemed to make it gradually pale out of view. I did clone the rest out in Photoshop. I had another where I had a streak almost on the first image, so I started again as the streak went over the object. I seemed to have far more junk at home compared to Lyme Regis where I had none :(

Alexandra

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

So glad you had a great night with your Seestar! I’m also finding that galaxies come out better in short periods of time than I would have thought! Are these the jpg generated images on your phone or did you process the Raw Fit's? Processing the Fit's in Pixinsight can remove satellite trails, but the stacking software in the Seestar will slowly remove them if enough time is spent on the object. I have decided not to worry about getting mind blowing pics and like you did on this particular evening just enjoy the gradual appearance of the objects!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
xinghai
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by xinghai »

Montana wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:19 am What fun!! the only ever time I have had fun under the stars was in Spain imaging with Andy Devey. On Saturday evening we stayed up late and I really enjoyed the SeeStar and was much more confident. We set it up in the middle of the back garden then sat inside the conservatory where it was mildy warm but we could still see the stars. For the next 2 and half hours we randomly picked object after object and had such fun gradually watching the image grow on the phone. The galaxies were amazing but the nebulas were a bit disappointing. If only I had started out all those years ago with a Seestar :)
Very nice :girl:

Celestron C8 telescope Celestron C6 telescope Altair 80mm APO refractor Altair 60mm APO refractor Celestron Nexstar 4se Lunt 40THa/B600 H-Alpha Solar Telescope Sony Nex5 ZWO 130MM ZWO 290MM Altair Hypercam 183C Pro QHY5-III 178 Mono Celestron AVX mount Skywatches AZ-Gti mount Celestron StarSense ZWO SeeStar S50 smart telescope
cte
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by cte »

I think you did a good job with the galaxies, m101 is very good in consideration of the equipment

pedro

Post by pedro »

Fantastic Seestar images Alexandra. Love the M101 and M51 images