Double stack options with a Quark chromosphere?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Double stack options with a Quark chromosphere?

Post by Radon86 »

Hi,
As the year progresses, the sun becomes higher and no longer is hidden beneath or behind houses and extensions!
I see a number of lunt LS50 or PST mods as a double stack addition to a Quark.
I have read posts about these in the past.
I was wondering if I could take tne next step and plan and purchase a second etalon.

Are the etalons free standing usually, or do you harvest the etalon from your own PST or Lunt solar scope ?

Is there a service which supports or makes adaptors or fits the etalons to match with your Quark and refractor ?

I think Mark Townley may provide adaptors or help with this type of modification ?

Many thanks.

Magnus

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Double stack options with a Quark chromosphere?

Post by marktownley »

Hi Magnus,

What exactly are you wanting to do?

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Petrus
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Petrus »

I don't have much to offer for this subject, but for custom-made adapters, I can recommend the RAF Camera.

https://rafcamera.com/custom-adapter

When you know measurements, threads, etc, they can do pretty much anything. Solved my troublesome issue by attaching a new focuser for TS Optics 152mm scope. In the future will order an adapter to attach Lunt80THa etalons to this scope too!

~ Petrus ~

Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/people/194757663@N08/

LS80THa DSII - Calcium II K module 12mm - Lunt Herschel wedge 1.25" - Quark Chromosphere - Solarscout Quark - Sol'Ex
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

just an opinion but you’d be way better off dumping the Quark and getting a real solar telescope and then a second etalon. By the time you get done, you will have spent the same money.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
FRAZ
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FRAZ »

Hi Magnus,

I would be interested in knowing what equipment you currently have before advising you on any progression. You can get much more mileage out of processing techniques etc than double-stacking a quark for example in my opinion.

Complicating the number of parts can often take you backwards unless you have already gone through the pain of learning and understanding what you have. Are you a modder with deep pockets and a thirst for knowledge or do you just want a better system? It is often way cheaper in the long run to buy off the shelf.

Having said that, if you have the bits lying around then it is a worthwhile pursuit. If you can pick up a pst for a reasonable amount, test it and be happy with its stand alone performance and then make sure it is compatible with a quark you may already have. As you can see there are a lot of moving parts. (I am not familiar with the Lunt variation but have heard good things)

Quark and PST connections are available from Beat Kohler at AOKSwiss.

My own journey (I see you found) that followed on from Marty (linked in post) is

viewtopic.php?p=333225#p333225.

Stage 2 mod completed @ 100, 127.
Istar 228 arrived, building the frame slowly while learning cnc.
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

marktownley wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:40 pm Hi Magnus,

What exactly are you wanting to do?

Mark
Hi Mark,
That is a very good question ! There is no straight forward answer.

My main priority is to 1) image the proms with a lower exposure time than I am getting with my Quark with 70mm or 90mm or 120mm refractors. I am keen to get fine filamentary type prom details on the limb and get some nice animations.

2) I am not so concerned with the disc detail and resolution. I seem to be getting good results with a 90mm F10 refractor and my Quark.

As FRAZ has hinted at, better acquisition, processing and getting good seeing is perhaps more important.

I am not keen to spend hundreds/thousands on solar equipment although I can probably afford to do so.

I really liked Filip's Lunt LS50THa modification to 90 mm aperture. I suppose his is not a double stack mod is it ?

Here is his original posting. I did discuss it with him and found there were difficulties with getting the adaptors and also I could not locate a 90mm F7.7 refractor to approximate the Lunt LS50 specifications and focal length. I have a 90mm F10 refractor which just works ok with the Quark. I am getting fairly good results with this.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19238

Should I go for a double stack (Quark and PST, like FRAZ has done) to image the proms or stick to something more like Filip (Great Attractor) - Lunt LS50THa modification to 90 mm aperture ?

Thank you for your advice and opinion.

Magnus

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

FRAZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:46 pm Hi Magnus,

I would be interested in knowing what equipment you currently have before advising you on any progression. You can get much more mileage out of processing techniques etc than double-stacking a quark for example in my opinion.

Complicating the number of parts can often take you backwards unless you have already gone through the pain of learning and understanding what you have. Are you a modder with deep pockets and a thirst for knowledge or do you just want a better system? It is often way cheaper in the long run to buy off the shelf.

Having said that, if you have the bits lying around then it is a worthwhile pursuit. If you can pick up a pst for a reasonable amount, test it and be happy with its stand alone performance and then make sure it is compatible with a quark you may already have. As you can see there are a lot of moving parts. (I am not familiar with the Lunt variation but have heard good things)

Quark and PST connections are available from Beat Kohler at AOKSwiss.

My own journey (I see you found) that followed on from Marty (linked in post) is

viewtopic.php?p=333225#p333225.
Hi FRAZ,
Yes, I have re-read your post which I came across about 2 years ago (July 2022), does time fly - yes !

I have a Quark Chromosphere filter purchased around February 2019. I have a number of refractors, and I also use a 60mm guidescope sometimes for a full disc (create from 2 panels). I have a :

70mm ED F6 refractor
90mm F10 achromat refractor
120mm F8.33 achromat refractor (have only used a handful of times)

I get good results with the 70mm and 90mm and my processing is improving !
The seeing is not very good I find due to my location in the suburbs. I suppose there is room to improve here !

I can see the PST mod with the Quark may not be the easiest to achieve. The Lunt LS50 mod may be better. However, my main aim is to image proms with a low exposure time so I can get wispy proms and nice animations !

Magnus

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

solarchat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:53 pm just an opinion but you’d be way better off dumping the Clark and getting a real solar telescope and then a second etalon. By the time you get done, you will have spent the same money.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your input. I would really like to purchase a proper solar telescope. I presume you mean a Lunt 60 or 80 mm single or double stack, or a Coronado type. They are fairly expensive so I am keen to make the most of my dollars (sterling). Perhaps you can direct me to a good second hand solar scope (Lunt or Coronado), but I am based in the UK, so not close to the US market.

Magnus

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Petrus wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:42 pm I don't have much to offer for this subject, but for custom-made adapters, I can recommend the RAF Camera.

https://rafcamera.com/custom-adapter

When you know measurements, threads, etc, they can do pretty much anything. Solved my troublesome issue by attaching a new focuser for TS Optics 152mm scope. In the future will order an adapter to attach Lunt80THa etalons to this scope too!
Hi Petrus,
Thank you, that is fantastic, I never heard of RAFCamera before. I could not find their location, are they based in the USA or are they in Switzerland ?

Magnus

Petrus
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Petrus »

Hi Magnus,

On their website it says they have warehouse in different locations. I am myself from Europe and got my order just in few weeks - no customs or other surprises.
https://rafcamera.com/about-us

~ Petrus ~

Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/people/194757663@N08/

LS80THa DSII - Calcium II K module 12mm - Lunt Herschel wedge 1.25" - Quark Chromosphere - Solarscout Quark - Sol'Ex
AndiesHandyHandies
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi

You want to get the Combo Quark with a 20mm clear aperture to match the PST's 20mm. And the Swiss AOK mod. I advised him that he could reduce a stop in the front to be more useful for light scatter control.

I spent some time messing about with PST mods. I tried a cheap Vixen 10mm F10 catadioptric with internal ERFs. And then a Rumak F10 180mm (NO plastic bits). The latter was quiet good with bino viewers with good surface details. My Big ioptron mount failed, better for bino-viewing, but scavanged a motor board from a small one in stock. Could see one cell wide fractal flare streams. So when the weather improves try the Mak again.

From images out there I seem to have a 0.7A PST and a 0.7A Quark Chromosphere. Combined they should be 0.3A.

I bought a 90mm TS F6.7 triplet as my self retirement present and this has proved excellent for solar work. The 10:1 focuser on it is larger than 2" and excellent. I have bodged up macro-lenses inside for reducer work. 2" extender body with bits added on.

I have pier in an observing deck looking out over a cliff-edge and overgrown field which seems good.

I use a Vision King 3x Tele-extender for F20 and add a ES 2x TE for F40. The first gives me a full disk view with a Celestron 40mm Symetric eyepiece.

I use the PTS DS at F20 or the bare Quark at F40.

My visual view matches up with Solars (Ralph) images. Usefully he is in Australia so by the time his images are published I am about to observe.
And when I do my notes are useful for people in the USA.

Spending money on a well baffled and optically excellent OTA like mine will help you to get good images.

I found my Baader T2 prism has bad scatter. The solution is to baffle the input and output right by the prism faces. I use some cheap Chinese 1.25" filters with 20mm aperture as stops with the solar stuff. And some 16mm one on the input supplied from AstroRods bit box.

I have made bodged up custom baffles with a washer in these filter holders. Problem is drilling hard steel washers by hand for me. And I have one in front of the first VK TE element which scatters, and one after in a homemade holder based on some drinks bottle? washers I used to find walking about, after the first element.

Enjoy.

Cheers. Andrew.

FRAZ
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FRAZ »

Hi Magnus,

You will be fighting against yourself to a certain extent by looking for a double stack. You want the proms with better definition. The double stack will take you further away from your desired target range from 0.5 to 0.3A for example. Your sweet spot for stacking etc is a single stack for proms and double stacking a quark will lower your frame rate.

In your shoes I would use the big achromat with the Quark you have and invest in a decent ERF. (I would also consider getting a 150mm Achromat)

The quality you are looking for is most easily achieved by lucky purchase or lots of money and this isn't something we can easily rely upon so my thoughts are:

ERF - internal or external depending on your budget and is usable as you scale other equipment.
Bigger aperture - Your seeing may make this the least desirable option and determine any erf size.

Banjo has done this best for me, I came across this the other day.
viewtopic.php?p=387584&hilit=animation+apod#p387584

Best
Fraz.

Stage 2 mod completed @ 100, 127.
Istar 228 arrived, building the frame slowly while learning cnc.
Oak
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Oak »

It is very straightforward to double stack a quark with a Lunt 40mm etalon from their 40mm dedicated scope and a Raf camera adapter (link below). The double stack will increase disk contrast and eliminate the double limb, but won't do much for proms.

viewtopic.php?p=366352#p366352