Solar Spectrum - So many questions?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
FRAZ
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Solar Spectrum - So many questions?

Post by FRAZ »

I want to buy a Solar Spectrum Filter. (I understand the time wait etc and this suits me as I am a bit of an info gatherer)
This isn't just about my questions, feel free.

I'd like to take long focal length shots of primarily Prominences but still get some surface detail. (100% Imaging)
I am edging to the 0.65A due to a long focal length telescope that will get in and among the kind of shots I like and show surface too.
Scope will be 228/f7.7 @ 1.8metre / 7.2 metre with mag.
Camera will be ASI 174 or ASI 462 / 662

I want to pay 3-6K but want to understand what I am sacrificing and decide whether it is worth pushing to get that.
I am unlikely to push for Research Grade since I feel that the difference can be lost in processing skills.
I also have my doubts about the real world difference in this unless you are picking it yourself. (A Good bad one etc and where the value lies)

What difference does clear aperture make? If I am long focal length and 1080p size chip then does clear aperture even matter?
Solar Spectrum offerings I have seen are in 25mm, 32mm and 46mm sizes
Is this just down to how much of the chip is utilised depending on chip size?

What is the difference between the Observer, Advanced Observer and Research Grade.
Is this classifications and naming conventions to match?
Is this Observer / Advanced Observer at their apertures with needed heat sink and then a quality of actual material upgrade as well as an aperture upgrade at research grade?

::::: I cant find decent info on this specifically or on a wider search. It seems that manufacturers that have all of the info are content to sell to those who also know exactly what they want. The gap is there to be filled. If I am just missing something obvious then please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Fraz.

Thanks to Astrograph UK for all of the info I have.

edit: I also appreciate that you can speak direct to these guys and they are very approachable. I am in the stage before that and want to understand.

Stage 2 mod completed @ 100, 127.
Istar 228 arrived, building the frame slowly while learning cnc.
Sergio Alessandrelli
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Solar Spectrum - So many questions?

Post by Sergio Alessandrelli »

Hi Franz

I own a SolarSpectrum SO 1.0, 0,5A (19mm BF) and I use it on a 132mm f/7 apo (with TZ4) and a 180mm f/10 Rumak (with TZ3). Camera is a Basler with an IMX174 mono. From my experience, if you just want to make picture with this size of sensor, you really don't need a larger BF filter. A research grade should be more uniform and easier to use but still not really necessary to make good image. Obviusly it depend by your budget but I prefered to spent my money on other parts of my setup. A 0.65A unit could be better than the 0.5A for the prominences and you can gain extra contraxt reducing the opening of your refractor (working at higher f/ number).

Bye ;)

mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

Hi Franz,
You asked what the difference between an RG filter and a ASO in the 32mmCA. It is a matter of range of tuning , An RG will have at least +/- 1 Ang of tuning . Where an ASO you may have more tuning in either the red side or the blue side.( maybe only .5Ang one directional and 1.5A ang the other) Also an ASO may have some small shift in CW near one edge.
The CA is more about about how much of the solar disk you want to see. If you are using an 100 mm at F/30 the solar image is going to be around 25.4mm. So that should fit nicely in an 32mm CA filter.
If you're doing imaging mostly, then get the CA that has some room outside of the chip size. For imaging the most common is the SO-1.5 ,.5Amg
They have a 25mm CA.
If you are looking in the .7 Ang range and in the US or Pacific Rim then go with the Suna,
I hope this does not break any rules posting this.
Mark W.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

mdwmark wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:20 am I hope this does not break any rules posting this.
Ansolutely none at all Mark. We always welcome you insightful and vauable contributions, please post more often! :D

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
FRAZ
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FRAZ »

Hi All,

Just a small update on the solar spectrum buy.

I ended up getting the only available Solar Spectrum item available in all of Europe that I could find! Sundancer II 0.6A. Despite trying to get the SO 0.5 or the ASO 0.5 I could not find one in stock or available for years.

My mate Rupert however sorted me out with one of these gems and it fits right in with my desire for proms.

Thanks for all your advice.

Stage 2 mod completed @ 100, 127.
Istar 228 arrived, building the frame slowly while learning cnc.
MAURITS
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MAURITS »

Hi Fraz, I have since a few years the SS Serie 1.5 "Solar Observer filter 0.65A and I have double stack it.
It's a wonderful combination with 0.48A as result.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be