New kid - Solarmax 40 - tales of an active Sun (4/18 giant prom and earlier)

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
maff
The Sun?
The Sun?

New kid - Solarmax 40 - tales of an active Sun (4/18 giant prom and earlier)

Post by maff »

Hi all, this is my first post here. It took me several tries and a few days to receive the verification email!

I have been tumbling through astrophotography for just a few months, and solar for just a few weeks. Quarks and similar are quite out of budget for now, but I have the pleasure of borrowing a modest Solarmax 40 from a family member.

Since I am an avid builder of telescopes, I may (with extreme caution/camera only) explore the DIY section here. Anyway, happy to have found a community of solar imagers. Here are the fruits of my first few weeks of viewing and imaging:

The primary focus is on the timelapse I have of an enormous (1/5 radius) prominence. (bigger version) I also have a range of shots of this event and recent interesting solar discs. Standouts are the extremely active discs (inverted and standard) from Thursday when I was taking this. (Below). I have been looking at the sun for a long time, and have never seen it as interesting and dynamic as this day.

Taken from 5 to 6pm CDT, from somewhere around Houston - 4/18/24. I had been watching live feeds religiously for weeks looking for a large prominence peeling away. Finally, I see one - but it's cloudy. I walk outside and for once, find the forecast is a bit off; there is clarity towards sunset. I am dungeonmastering in 30 minutes, so I have my headset on, exclaiming in a group call as I sit in my driveway -- legs off the culvert, an aluminet draped over an ornamental tree to cover self and computer. Mosquitos and fire ants were killed over this data acquisition, 300 gigabytes of data paid for in bites and sweat - fifteen thousand frames.

I had not initially set out to capture this timelapse. My laptop battery is quite finite, and I had no idea exactly how much the prominences move on the scale of minutes. My goal was to capture the fixin's for mosaics, with enough input frames to avoid the off-axis performance loss intrinsic to most HA scopes - at two different image scales (Prime and TV barlow 3x, spaced for 1.5x). So that meant four or six panel mosaics. I kept coming back to the prominence, however (turns out on average, every five minutes or so) for redundancy. I really wanted to nail such a transient phenomenon. It was only after processing every sub-interval that I saw:
1. There is significant movement along the prominence even on the span of minutes
2. I had 8 spaced out captures of the prominence (albeit at 4 different combinations of gain and image scale)

Acquisition details: Coronado Solarmax40 -- old HA scope, a bit better than the modern coronado PST. 0.7 angstrom instead of 1.
QHY5iii715c planet cam. This cam does exceedingly well at solar, due to the very tiny pixels and high resolution. Seeing was quite poor, reflected in lost sharpness versus other captures - but other captures did not have this level of solar activity.
Crudely tracked on a modified az GTI mount

I parfocalized the cam with a 10mm eyepiece, just very handy to reach focus visually first - or on this day, helps show my neighbors the view without upsetting camera focus.

It has been a fun if exhausting ordeal to learn tasteful and proper processing; I still have a way to go. The scope is of course, a little finnicky - sweet spots, dealing with the vignette, finding ideal tuning etc.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New kid - Solarmax 40 - tales of an active Sun (4/18 giant prom and earlier)

Post by solarchat »

welcome to our and thanks for the post! You are on your way it would seem.

The forum Is ran by me from my living room in Atlanta so we don’t have much staff to work on these things I apologize for the delay in the email.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
maff
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: New kid - Solarmax 40 - tales of an active Sun (4/18 giant prom and earlier)

Post by maff »

No worries and thank you. Happy to be here!

rigel123
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rigel123 »

Welcome, and great animation and nice shots.

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
EricF
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by EricF »

Those look great. Well done.

Eric.

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Welcome, lovely session.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Crikey, your first post and images and you hit a six, well if you play cricket like we do in OZ! Welcome indeed!

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/PeterM/
BOSS team: https://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/medi ... ia-release
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Welcome, beautiful animation and images

Franco

arnedanielsen

Post by arnedanielsen »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your images!

Best regards,
Arne
--
AstroBin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/arnedani/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Welcome to the forum! I have a SM40 too.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
cybermayberry
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by cybermayberry »

Welcome, and your images look great.

Rich

Lunt 60mm SS, Daystar Quark Chromosphere,
Antlia wedge,Lunt wedge