Advice needed on Combo Quark Imaging train.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
focaldepth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Advice needed on Combo Quark Imaging train.

Post by focaldepth »

Hi, I am new on Solar Chat, I've had my Combo Quark a few years now and had some OK pictures with it. As we are in a solar maximum I am looking for improvements to my imaging train.

I have tried several combinations of spacers, adapters etc.. and this is the best I have come up with:
1000004670.jpg
1000004670.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 770 times
1000004670.jpg
1000004670.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 770 times
Baader IR/UV on the powermate.

The above achieves focus with the draw tube out an inch or so but looks clumsy and ugly.
I needed to set the interference remover to maximum tilt!
I feel I am loosing sharpness some where in this setup.

I currently have ASI174MM, 178MM and 183MM as solar system cameras. The 174 has produced the best results.

I have lots of other spacers etc. (and a credit card on emergency standby)

Any advice on spacings before, between and after the Powermate, Quark and Camera would be gratefully received.

Any pictures of working Combo Quark imaging trains also welcome.

Thanks in advance

John.
Attachments
1000004671.jpg
1000004671.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 770 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Advice needed on Combo Quark Imaging train.

Post by marktownley »

Hi John.

Welcome to the forum!

I have the same scope and a Quark, the biggest upgrade I did was upgrading the focuser to prevent sag. What sort of images are you getting? This will help diagnose how to improve more.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
HAL
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by HAL »

Hi John,

I have the same telescope and camera (174MM) that I am using with my Quark. I can't find a picture but my imaging train is: star diagonal with UV/IR cut filter on the end, Quark, tilt adaptor, camera. I don't use any spacers. Do you need the Powermate? The Quark already has a big barlow inside so produces a pretty magnified image.

Here's my latest full disc taken with the above set-up.
80mm_mosaic_V2.jpg
80mm_mosaic_V2.jpg (10.05 MiB) Viewed 716 times

HAL
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by HAL »

Oh wait, I just scrolled back up and saw that it is the Combo Quark that you are using, so you probably do need the Powermate. I am using the standard Quark and don't have any experience with the Combo. Apologies, I obviously haven't had enough caffeine yet!

focaldepth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by focaldepth »

Yes it is the Combo, I was concerned that it needed so many spacers. Both in front of the PM and after the quark. I always struggle with barlows and Powermates, the spacing seems so random to me.

Scope is f/7.5 x4 = f/30

Here is an example of one of my shots. Any critique welcome. I don't have many as I live somewhere that has clouds and the seeing is not too good, I think this was a stack of about 100 or so out of 1000 or so.

I was playing with different colour schemes so it may be a bit green.
Attachments
2023_07_07_1634_5_L_Sun_b.jpg
2023_07_07_1634_5_L_Sun_b.jpg (268.14 KiB) Viewed 659 times

focaldepth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by focaldepth »

HAL, I like your full disk image. So much sharper and more detail than mine.

How did you manage to get the full disk with thge ED80 and x4.2 on the Quark? I only manage to get less than one radius on my sensor.

John.

focaldepth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by focaldepth »

Marktownley, I could consider a better focuser but the standard Crayford does seem fairly stiff.

John.

HAL
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by HAL »

Hi John,

Thank you for your comments on my image. It's been a journey to get to this point with my imaging. I also live in a location with a lot of clouds (UK)!

The image is a multi-panel mosaic, you are correct that the field of view is quite small with the Quark. In terms of sharpness - I find spending a lot of time trying to get as well focussed as possible is really important and often really hard with bad seeing. Then in post processing I use the IMPPG for initial sharpening and unsharp mask in Photoshop for final sharpening. I worry about overcooking with the sharpening sometimes. I also like to invert my images because I think some of the details look much better this way, especially filaments, I know this is a very personal choice though and some people don't like to invert. I hope that helps.

I like your image above, it shows some nice activity near the limb and some prominence action. What are you doing in post processing?

focaldepth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by focaldepth »

Hi HAL,
A mosaic, I guessed that after I posted the above(DUH). (One day perhaps)
Yes focus is one of my weaknesses.

I'm a Pixinsight user, Photoshop on rare occasions.
Firecapture, AS2, in PI [ HT(Stretch), MLT(wavelets), PM(Pixelmath to give it some colour) ].

I had massive brightness gradients so I think I used DBE and/or adjusted low frequency layers.

I will look into IMPPG just in case these clouds move, Clear on Monday night here in North East UK.

I am going to try and move the spacers from after the Quark to before the Powermate.
John.

focaldepth
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by focaldepth »

Brief clear spells yesterday despite forecast.

I did remove all spacers and interference suppressor between camera and Quark but got newtons rings, adding just the rotator cleared up the rings though.

All I am left with the the extreme brightness on one corner/side of the image (gradient?). This has always been there.

I cropped and processed it out of the above image but it was still visible.

Investigating further, rotating the camera moves the bright patch with the camera suggesting it is the camera causing it.

Ill try a tilt adjuster next clear patch but I don't know why that would help.

Then again, It could be the etalon which would also appear to rotate.

I have found suggestions on the web that Etalon temperature can cause this effect.

So I will wait for another gap in the clouds.....

John.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

More investigations needed - try the camera on another setup (not quark) - if it is there with the other setup it is the camera. Personally, my money is on the Quark with an uneven field.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!