Radio Solar/Astronomy in 2024? Any new options?

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Radio Solar/Astronomy in 2024? Any new options?

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi all,

Didn't see a stickie with resources, but lots of Sol`Ex (awesome!) stuff recently here. Anyhow to the point, I'm curious about radio astronomy/solar, and would love to do some radio solar during some of my sessions. I've waffled on this in the past just due to the heavy entry point and not a lot of soft gentle beginner ways to follow. But maybe its different now in 2024? Maybe there's easy software for PC/Windows/Linux? Maybe there's affordable hardware? Or DIY hardware?

Anyone have a particular recent set of guides/links that are highly suggested for a beginner with solar radio? Or radio astronomy in general? I've searched up old stuff, but I'm curious about modern stuff that isn't 20+ years old at this point.

I know this may sound laughable to some, but really looking for a simple "buy this thing" and "install this piece of software" and be up and running just to have a learning platform. I have a lot of property and have the ability to build a large radius antenna potentially, to make it fun, but need to have a place to start.

Suggestions appreciated!

Very best,

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Radio Solar/Astronomy in 2024? Any new options?

Post by Montana »

We don't see much radio solar sadly Marty, perhaps Paul Hearn could help you in your quest, he is extremely knowledgeable and knows lots of contacts

https://britastro.org/sections/radio-astronomy

Alexandra

bob71741
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Radio Solar/Astronomy in 2024? Any new options?

Post by bob71741 »

MalVeaux - Here is a buy & fly solar flare monitor aka an SIDmonitor; SID = sudden ionospheric disturbance

https://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/sidmonitor/

meets your criteria except for building the antenna which is a piece of cake.