Point grey help

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
RobBower

Point grey help

Post by RobBower »

Ok... Been a little while since Ive done any imaging....but did pick up a new Point Grey USB3 Flea3 had to buy a new laptop to boot.

With much disappointment....the damn thing wont run in firecapture? I onow people have, and are using them.... Just cant figure out how? Done all the updates.....downloads..... Nadda... Lookin for some help before I toss it all in the trash!

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Point grey help

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Rob

I'm so sorry for you. Can't help as I'm using only Basler CCD's with GigE. Hope you get soon help. Don't toss it in the trash, 5 bucks and it's mine ;-)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

:thumbsup: you pay the shipping my friend!

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

OK Rob ;-)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

I was hoping to enjoy this hobby just a weeeee bit longer...... But the frustration level grows with each attempt.... I have a cute ls60 if ya want to pay for a bigger box! Lol

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Can you throw it in my trash can? :D

Mark

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Lol cant figure out why you guys want them if they dont run inthe required software..... Or are you holding out? Or using...... A mac..... :blink:

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

the Mac program ASTROIIDC only accepts FireWire PGR or any other brand cameras. I don't know anyone who sucessfully used a USB3 Grasshopper without problems on a PC or Mac. I know Etatsolarchat (Eric Toops) uses his FireWire grasshopper on his PC all the time, but I don't know how.

Why can't these companies just invest a little time in an easy to use capture program for PC or Mac? Macs have already taken over the market for young people and still, not a single decent astronomy capture program available...

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
donatpointgrey

Post by donatpointgrey »

Hi Rob - your friendly Point Grey lurker here...

I have a few suggestions (that don't include throwing the camera in the garbage - call me an optimist!)

- you should try the camera with the Point Grey FlyCapture software. Not hooked up to a telescope or anything, just run the software and see if you see images on your computer - hold your hand over the front of the camera, does the image change? That kind of thing. This will identify whether the camera is working on your computer. If it works then we know that the right driver is installed, the right software is installed, the camera is functional, and your computer interface is functional. If it doesn't work, then you should contact [email protected]. They have lots of experience with interface problems, driver problems, etc, and if the camera is faulty, our service is pretty good. Some problems are really simple and some are not.

- if the camera works, then the suspect is probably the interaction between Point Grey software and FireCapture. There are some version issues (FireCapture doesn't support all versions of the Point Grey FlyCapture software - and by the way I apologise for the similarity in names but FlyCapture and FireCapture are completely different :)). You might want to take a look at this thread from CloudyNights
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... PHPSESSID=
For example, Piotr points out in that one that you need the 32-bit version of Flycapture installed even if you have a 64-bit version of Windows due to the expectations of the current FireCapture. I'm not sure if that will help you but it is a good place to start. And even at this point you could email [email protected] and they may have some good suggestions.

I know I'm not solving your problem here, just pointing you to a bunch of work, but, you know, new laptop, 3rd party software compatibility - it is a complicated system. Unfortunately I'm not a support guy myself (I'm in the research department but just like to see what is happening in the world of astronomy on these forums because it is cool) so I'm not the person to work through these issues with you... the support guys understand this better.

I hope this helps!

Don

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Hi Stephen! FireCapture claims to work with the flea3 so I assumed that included mine? :(

Hi Don. I did the downloads as recommended. I downloaded flycapture and the camera works fine! I am getting the full 150fps and have a 4tb hard drive recording fast enough for full captures!

I did download the 32bit version and followed all of that thread and the info on the firecapture pages. Camera works great! Just can not start on the software needed in?

I do appreciate the help Don! Ive read that the fly capture software is just not really meant for what we do.... If it was... And if the data was workable in the programs we have available, then all would be fine.... But sadly, although complex, the software seems very much suited for industry..... Which really is its intended purpose....

donatpointgrey

Post by donatpointgrey »

Hi Rob,

So... FlyCapture works ok with the camera, right? But when you say "Just can not start on the software needed in?" You mean that FireCapture doesn't work with the camera? Can you tell me what happens? Is it just that FireCapture doesn't "see" the camera and doesn't give you the option to use it, or does it start and fail?

Thanks,
Don

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Don and Point Grey has been EXTREMELY supportive of our outreach program and I dont think your going to get another camera company coming on here to speak directly with you... this is awesome...

lemme see if celestron wants to sign up and offer their help too.....lol

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yes Don.

When opening Firecapture, it does not see the camera. States "none" then directs you to pick the type of camera... You pick Point Grey and hit ok. It looks and again says none!

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Totally agree Stephen! Don has/is being very helpful in this regard! I am very grateful :thanx:

MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Hence why my next camera will be a Point Grey camera Stephen :)

Mark

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I think I understood Jim Lafferty to say he had to start the camera in Flycapture and then start Firecapture afterwards to get it to work.

too bad no one would pay $99 for ASTRO IIDC when it was available. That sure was an awesome capture/stacking program. I wish Milton would put it back out there for purchase but he has his own thing going elsewhere now.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

HEY DON AT PTGREY

what would we have to do as a group to get your bosses to have someone write the simplest of PC programs that would access the camera and provide just the following commands:

Exposure
Gamma
Gain

and simply record .avi files or single captures numbered sequentially?

Is it possible? Can we do it? Can we pay for the R&D as a group?
If I bitch and moan enough, while anyone care at PtGrey?
Do I need to send my wife up there to nag you until it is done?
Can we call it the Solarchat capture program?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Well. After much effort, attempts, help, guidance and failure...... Ive done the only thing that makes sense...... Both my DMK cameras work fine with the Imaging Source capture program...... The Point Grey camera works fine with its capture software.....although it may be a bit more difficult to run and tweak than we need for our work..... So...... See ya later FIRECAPTURE!
You seem to be the only thing that isnt playing nice with the others!

Ill let you all know how it works out.... Lol Thanks agin to all! And Special thanks to Don from Point Grey! But hey..... I think Stephen is on to something! :whistle: Just sayin......!

JimLafferty

Post by JimLafferty »

Rob

I use a grasshopper 3 with Firecapture and had the same issues you report.
My routine now is (before each imaging session)
1. Connect camera with flycap (32 bit version) first.
2. Go to flycap configure camera settings and uncheck any box in the "auto" column
3. Go to the flycap custom video modes (I think thats what its called) tab and select the drop down box that says mode 7 in first drop down box. Hit apply. Close settings dialogue.
4. click ok
4. Close flycap.
5. start up firecapture
6. Mine seems to recognize the camera then.

Worth a try.

Jim

etatsolarchat

Post by etatsolarchat »

Flycap has always worked well for me, 32bit install on windows7x32. I've used it with ethernet,firewire and USB2/3 cameras. I believe firecapture may use the flycap code base so its much dependent on it.

I do wish they would improve flycap more, many minor issues but by far the most annoying thing is that PGR limits the file size to 2GB, VERY ANNOYING. Also they don't have Y800 so a 16bit file is the same size as a 8bit file with same amount of frames!

Some machines can't put out enough power via the USB3 cable and require external power.

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thanks for the new info! I was able to get my camera running full tilt using the flycapture software.... Mind you Im not a fan! But it,did work and I was able to get some decent shots through some very nasy seeing! Windy, scope shaking seeing....but at that frame rate. The thing did exactly what I had hoped it would!

I will try your method Jim, tomsee if it works....because the video replay from flycapture is odd to say the least! 2gig of info playing back in 7 seconds...... Damn!

All in all.... The flea3usb3 does what it says! Ill post an image in a few to show what it does. Oh..... For your info. At 150fps it is a cmos chip. And no. There are NO Newton Rings anywhere its much higher res than my dmk21/618 and almost 3 times faster! The rest you can judge for yourself when the image comes up....

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

I tried that set up Jim..... There was no mode 7 the mode drop gave me a choice between 0 or 1 neither of which worked?

I guess im just going to be happy with the downloaded PGR capture ware....

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

No worries John.... The cameta works great in the PGR software..... Its just not really user friendly for what we do But it still does the job!

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yeah..... Why cant we just have easy? Always works all the time.... Whats wrong with that?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A very interesting read, I'm saving up the pennies for a new camera and I would love a PGR but I am so nervous of buying because of all these problems. I'm useless when it comes to computers :(

Alexandra

donatpointgrey

Post by donatpointgrey »

Hi guys, just so you know I am listening... but it is a long weekend so I'll try to make some comments next week when I'm not thinking about home landscaping :)

Don

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

I am pretty bad with that stuff too! But Im very stubborn! Lol the thing that I like, and the reason I went the way I did, was the resolution/pixels and frame rate! If you can get a fast camera that takes less grainy pictures....the end result is a wonderful thing....

Even at half speed these are much faster than most others. Having said that.... I love my DMK51 and its as slow as molasses!

There really isnt 1 camera to do all.... But if there was.... My bet would be the PGR grasshopper3

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Long weekend here too! So im not landscaping! Hahahahaha

donatpointgrey

Post by donatpointgrey »

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I've looked through this post and am trying to summarize some of your points for discussion with the product management and support/field applications people. I can't make any promises but it is all good feedback and I will try to see if we can come up with a plan to help astrophotographers use our cameras. I may end up having to solicit more feedback on problem areas... but I'll let you know. There are a couple of topics related to this issue... (see Jim Lafferty's "Thoughts on the Grasshopper 3" thread). Seems like the gist is the cameras work great... if you can get them to work :)

Give me a bit of time to get back to you. No promises on the quality of the response though :)

Don

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Thank you very much Don! Your help s and will always be very much apreciated! Although Ive only ad my Flea3 a few days, Ive been able to capture some great image! They do work very well indeed! The program Fly Capture is way over the top in so many ways...but nt there in others...

Im sure once that bugis worked out.... Thses systems will be taking over the hobby!

Again many thanks!

Rob