Not uniform contrast with my Daystar Quark

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Not uniform contrast with my Daystar Quark

Post by TareqPhoto »

RomanH wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:41 pm Hello.

I'm the Roman who created this thread, but forgot the password and couldn't restore it :D.

After long time I'm back with this hobby. I sold all my astro equipment 4 years ago to have more time for another hobbies. Eventually I went back to this hobby with even more expensive equipment :D.

You can see all my astrophotos in higher resolution (and my evolving over time) on https://astrofotky.cz/~rick.

So I had Lunt 50 single stack and now I ended with Daystar Quark - again ... Few days ago I had good seeing from my balcony so I finally did a 3-layers composite image of Solar atmosphere.

Equipment: TS CF APO triplet 155mm f8 on SW EQ6R, ASI485 color, Daystar Quark Ha Chromosphere, Daystar Quark CaH, TS green narrowband filter, TeleVue Powermate 4x.

Here are the images:

Green filter (40nm wide, centered at 540nm):

Daystar Quark CaH (5A wide, centered at 396nm):

Daystar Quark Chromo (~0.6A, centered at 656nm):

And the image composite showing different layers of chromosphere and photosphere. Blue color represent cooler temperature and lower chromosphere, yellow represents hot temperature and higher chromosphere:
So you are the one who used 155 scope for Ha and CaK, you have magic.

RomanH
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by RomanH »

Thank you :). I have luck that I live on 12th floor, so it helps to fight seeing a lot. But CaH is much more demanding to good seeing conditions than Green/Ha filters.

Dennis
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Dennis »

RomanH wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm Thank you. Well I think that QC is better now, but I dont think its as good as with Baader Sundancer. I didnt want to such expensive filter and I was ok with some degree of uniformity as I wanted to use smaller sensor than I used before. I ordered it online so I can return it in case it will not work for me. Fortunately Ive go great piece at first shot, but its maybe due to Teleskop-Express company which claims to have tested every piece before shiping ...

Alright, i also have the sensation that things got a bit better with the selections of the Quarks. Years ago i also tried one from Teleskop-Express, but it was crap despite they wrote that statement about pretested at the sun. Same goes for Astroshop.de, they claimed to have pretestet the filters, but even though they accepted Quarks that were just plain bad.

But now i see more and more acceptable Quarks on youtube etc.

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
RomanH
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by RomanH »

So it was probably just luck + little better QC :).
Last edited by RomanH on Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Boso36 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:02 pm Hi,
Interesting discussion here. Not sure what business Astrograph is regarding etalons.
I am thinking of selling my house and use up all my savings to get a really high quality etalon, much better than SE or PE. I am sure I will be satisfied with this arrangement.

Magnus
Good investment. Im sure it makes one happy, if the etalon is good.
And who needs a house anyways, tents are the trend : )

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x