Available external DS etalons??

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Available external DS etalons??

Post by Merlin66 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:11 pm

I can't seem to find any Meade/ Coronado external etalons in the US...
The SME-40, SME-60 and SME-90 are still listed in the UK
http://www.meadeuk.com/Coronado-Etalon-Units.html

Lunt do a 50mm/60mm and 100mm
Is that correct???
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Available external DS etalons??

Post by marktownley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am

Yup, that's correct Ken. I do like the look of the new 90III, but is a lot of money and wouldn't even consider one unless could do a period of protracted testing before purchase.
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

pedro
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by pedro » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:27 pm

My experience is that the Coronado Solarmax II (Meade) are not great (as compared to the pre-Meade external etalons). I have tried a few: SME-40, SME-60 and SME-90

No idea if the Solarmax III performs better

Visually they are usually OK, things tend to get worse when we use a CCD or CMOS camera

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Pedro,
Interesting comment.....
I recently tested a defective SME90 and had major "issues" with the Richview tuning....it ended up going back to Meade (from Australia) twice before effectively being repaired.
I tend to agree, the original Coronado DS filter (I use one on my ED80 set-up) is very good.
Ken
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

pedro

Post by pedro » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 am

Hi Ken

My SM90II was also serviced twice (Meade Mexico factory and Germany - BelOptik).

It is fine now but I feel that it is somewhat off band (less contrast then pre Meade etalons)

best regards

RKBerta
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RKBerta » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:14 am

I have an external Coronado (before Meade) 60mm Etalon single stacked used with a TeleVue 85mm APO telescope and both a BF15 and BF30 blocking filter. I was considering upgrading to something larger but thus far I have not been impressed with either Lunt or newer Meade/Coronado offerings in direct comparison. It also works great for photography so think I will just stay with it and my Quark Chromosphere used with either their SS Scout 80mm refractor or the TV 85 or 110mm custom refractors for double stack like performance.

RKBerta
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RKBerta » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am

I was curious about your posting where you said the catalog was not showing any external Etalons from Coronado. I went to their web site and you are correct. About 1 1/2 months ago they did have a combo 90mm external Etalon with a choice of blocking filters listed. I called to get more info but decided to hold off for a while....see my post above. But at the time they DID still have a package with the 90 and BF filters per my phone conversation. Maybe with the low solar activity they aren't moving so took them out of the catalog until things pick up. You could call to see if they still have stock because when I called they told me they did have it in stock. In my view the external Etalons have given better performance than internal...at least on Coronado and Lunt versions for a given aperture. Maybe when the sun activity picks up they will get more interesting products out.