Grasshopper 3 / Flycapture / Firecapture woes

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Grasshopper 3 / Flycapture / Firecapture woes

Post by Montana »

Can anyone help me, I have lost the will to live after 2hrs with the Hubby fighting with the Grasshopper 3.

Last summer my troubles started, the Grasshoppper 3 would work at 26fps start recording then after randomly 100 frames it would stop for a minute, then record a bit more, then stop for another random minute then record when it fancied. Then by September it decided it only wanted to run at 4fps. It kept saying that this device could run faster if you ran it as USB3. This is rubbish as it was always in my USB3 powered port. If in anger I pulled it out, shoved it in 10x it would eventually randomly run at 26fps.

I thought that my USB3 port was breaking. However I recently purchased a ZWO ASI174M camera and I managed to download the camera drivers and program first time (for a computer idiot that is a dream) and it ran straight away at 128fps no problem.

So as recommended (with the help of the hubby as this is too difficult for me) we uninstalled Flycapture, shut down and rebooted. We then downloaded the
Grasshopper 3
GS3-U3-28S5M-C
Windows 7 64 bit
Latest FlyCapture2 Full SDK
FlyCapture 2.13.3.31 SDK - Windows (64-bit) — 10/25/2018 - 305.1456MB

We then pressed install, we ticked the dlls thing and it installed. It didn't do a shortcut so we spent ages looking for the application file to open Flycapture but eventually found it (this is not at all helpful or user friendly to me because isn't it obvious you may want to run the program). It said my camera was:
GS3-U3-28S5M-C USB2.0 camera

This is new? since when did my camera suddenly become a USB2 camera? It will only run in Flycapture at 13 fps which I suppose is better than 4fps so that is an improvement (should be 26fps).

Firecapture - won't run at all, it won't even open. It says I haven't downloaded Flycapture or any dlls. What are dlls??? I have no idea.

Why is it that with PGR cameras it is the National lottery whether they will work or not. If my DMK41 can work first time and the ZWO can work first time with a user friendly software why do I have to be a computer programmer to get a PGR to work.

I have tried 3x to download everything and rebooted each time before and after and I still go round in circles. Flycapture kind of works with a USB2 camera?, Firecapture doesn't at all. It is all useless.

Any help would be very welcome but please keep it simple as I have absolutely no idea about computer programming, I can only do what is automatically done by the computer.

Many thanks
Alexandra

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Grasshopper 3 / Flycapture / Firecapture woes

Post by bart1805 »

Hi Alexandra, are you running the 32 or 64 bit version of FireCapture? Could it be that you are running the 32 bit version and downloaded the 64 bit version of the SDK?
Had the same problem, but after removing Firecapture and reinstalling the latest version, plus after that downloading the SDK you mention all went well for me. CS! Bart.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

What does your colour PGR camera do?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MapleRidge »

Alexandra...

Setup can be a real pain...went through many installs/re-installs a few years ago with the FireWire versions of the PGR cameras.

First, as Bart says, double check that you have the same version of the SDK/FlyCapture/Firecapture (all the same bit version). You should be able to run the camera form FlyCapture to verify the basic setup is working.

Another thing to check is the driver version in Device Manager...you can try to update the driver to be sure it has the current one. The driver DLL files are likely in the Programs Files Folder (again 2 folder options). A few years back Windows updates had a habit of replacing the driver and I constantly had to re-install them.

Once the drivers are setup properly FireCapture should find the cameras.

Hope you have good luck finishing the setup, and keep us appraised of the progress.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys for the tips, I will resume the fight this evening.

Mark, that horrible thought came to me last night as well :(

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Alexandra,

complicated and probably more than one thing causing this.

Agree with Mark & Bart about the mix of FC and FlyCapture that causes FC not to start. A DLL is just a function library, in this case containing the code to talk to the hardware of the cam. They come in 32bit & 64bit versions. If you install the 64 bit DLL and try to access it from 32bit FC, it does not work, so download the 64 bit FC.
Flycapture but eventually found it (this is not at all helpful or user friendly to me because isn't it obvious you may want to run the program). It said my camera was:
GS3-U3-28S5M-C USB2.0 camera
That's a different story. If Windows and Flycapture only sees an USB2 device there is something wrong with the hardware (or you installed the 32bit DLL from FlyCapture. But then the problem above would be opposite: FC 64bit Flycapture 32bit ....) The port on your PC is OK, that is proven by the other cameras. Then probable causes:
- The cable
- The port on the camera (or futher down in the hardware)

The way a computer distinguishes the difference between USB2 an USB3 is by 2 extra wires in the cable/port. If these signals are not there, the computer switches to USB2. (In real life it is a bit more complicated, but basically that's it)

Think you should try this cam on a PC that has a PGR cam working with same and other cables (if you can find one ...) to see if there is an issue with the cam. If it works there, then problem is somewhere in the software installation on your computer. If it fails, cam is defective.

Regards,

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Definitely double check FC is 64bit like the PGR software...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Update

Yes both Firecapture and Flycapture are 64bit on my Windows 7 64 bit.

I followed the Firecapture instructions of copying every single dll from the Flycapture folder and putting them in the Firecapture folder (it never said where in the folder so I just dumped them in the folder). Still doesn't work.

I plugged in the Blackfly with the said cable in the USB3 socket and it works fine in Flycapture at USB3 and 42 fps. I then tried Firecapture, it no longer worked, no dlls again.

So the hubby has just done a system restore back to yesterday morning. So Flycapture 2.11 is back and the Blackfly worked brilliant and works brilliant on Firecapture.

However the Grasshopper is still USB2 and gets 13 fps in Flycapture and a poor 4fps in Firecapture.

At least I am now in less mess than I was before and back to the problem Grasshopper again and not problem everything. So does that mean my Grasshopper is broken?
All my problems started last summer when I bought a cable from Rupert to power the Grasshopper from my battery. I really wish I had never done this as it is now looking like this has broken my Grasshopper. I am so upset.

I guess I need to contact FLIR for help? I have no idea :( but I do know never to upgrade Flycapture to version 2.13 !!!

Alexandra

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

Hi Alexandra, I don't know if it is the cable to externally power your PGR is the cause of the problems. I bought the same, have used it with the camera, and have the camera working again. FLIR released the new update in october last year. Was it then that the problems started?
I had to remove my 2.6 version of FirecCapture and install the same version again to get the camera running. Lost all my settings by doing that, but at least the Grasshopper is working as it should. Did you already try that?
Good luck! Bart.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Bart, no, I haven't tried doing that. I dare not try anything again. At least I am now back to the beginning again rather than in a worse situation. I don't fancy making a mess of Firecapture as well.

My problems started in the summer. The new cable I bought would always fall out and never stay in the camera, so mid run it would drop out. I don't think PGR cameras like that, they need to be turned off properly before disconnecting rather than being disconnected mid run. I have heard before that you can cause the chip to get corrupted by not shutting the camera down properly but at least I don't have that. I think this cable dropping out has somehow corrupted the camera mechanics. That is just my gut feeling. After things started going wrong I have stopped using external power and use the powered USB3 socket again.

Before last summer the Grasshopper worked for years no problem with Firecapture 2.3. After external powering with the battery it immediately would not work in Firecapture 2.3 and I had to load Firecapture 2.5 last summer to get it running again, but then it was recording in the wrong bit depth, then it started hanging, now it thinks it is USB2. It seems to be a slow decline, perhaps dementia. Somehow I seem to blown the camera brain up.

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Lost all my settings by doing that
Bart,

to avoid that I always save a copy of firecapture.ini

After re-install copy the saved one in the new installation (make a copy of the new ini file first to be on the safe side)
That should give you back all your settings ...

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Have you got your 64 bit downloads (FC & FlyC) in the 'program files' folder on your hard drive?

Program files (x86) folder is for 32 bit downloads, program files folder is for 64 bit downloads.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Montana wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:57 pm
My problems started in the summer. The new cable I bought would always fall out and never stay in the camera, so mid run it would drop out. I don't think PGR cameras like that, they need to be turned off properly before disconnecting rather than being disconnected mid run. I have heard before that you can cause the chip to get corrupted by not shutting the camera down properly but at least I don't have that. I think this cable dropping out has somehow corrupted the camera mechanics. That is just my gut feeling. After things started going wrong I have stopped using external power and use the powered USB3 socket again.

Before last summer the Grasshopper worked for years no problem with Firecapture 2.3. After external powering with the battery it immediately would not work in Firecapture 2.3 and I had to load Firecapture 2.5 last summer to get it running again, but then it was recording in the wrong bit depth, then it started hanging, now it thinks it is USB2. It seems to be a slow decline, perhaps dementia. Somehow I seem to blown the camera brain up.

Alexandra
I'm trying to get my head round this, you say the cable was falling out of the camera, my GH power cable screws into the back of the camera, did your's not do this?

I know with my GH3 I have to power it up first (with battery) then connect usb, it doesn't like it the other way round.

Mark

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Well guess what. Plugged in my ZWO cam in the front USB-3 of my desktop and got "this device can run faster if you plug it in an USB3 port"
After rebooting the computer, it worked again until the PC got to sleep mode and woke up. Then same problem, cam at USB2 7 fps speed.

I know that USB port is not in good shape (can't get my Seagate USB drive working on that). It seems that it does not provide all the current as needed in USB3 specs and some devices therefore fail.

So that might also be the case on Alexandra's PC. Don't know how much current a Grashopper needs, but if the current is to low it might act as an USB2 device. Other cam's with lower power consumption might still be working then.

So lots of possibilities why.

Paul
Last edited by PDB on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

PDB wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:58 pm
Lost all my settings by doing that
Bart,

to avoid that I always save a copy of firecapture.ini

After re-install copy the saved one in the new installation (make a copy of the new ini file first to be on the safe side)
That should give you back all your settings ...

Paul
Thanks Paul, I am going to write that one down for next time!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Mark, yes both programs are in the 'Programs folder'.
No my cable won't screw on, it doesn't fit. You can push it in but the ring is too small and won't therefore allow you to screw it down. I had to not move very much otherwise it would just drop out. That is next to impossible when focusing and changing barlows.

I have just done a fault report to FLIR and see if they have any tips.

Paul, there seems to be no problem with power to that socket as both the PGR Blackfly and ZWO work super fast in that socket.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Montana wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 pm Mark, yes both programs are in the 'Programs folder'.
No my cable won't screw on, it doesn't fit. You can push it in but the ring is too small and won't therefore allow you to screw it down. I had to not move very much otherwise it would just drop out. That is next to impossible when focusing and changing barlows.

I have just done a fault report to FLIR and see if they have any tips.

Alexandra
That's not good! It sounds like you have totally the wrong cable, the sleeve should just screw down onto the camera no issue. When you look in the back of the jack socket / connector on the wire how many pins does it have? are all these straight? Does the socket on the back of the camera have the same number of holes as the cable has pins?

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Alexandra...

The way you describe the cable not connecting tightly to the camera certainly sounds to be a problem. I assume that you have the connection on the camera side that accepts this style of cable with the connects that thread on to make a tight fit?
0002527_usb-31-3m-type-a-to-micro-b-locking-cable_772.jpeg
0002527_usb-31-3m-type-a-to-micro-b-locking-cable_772.jpeg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
If possible I'd look for a replacement cable...that style of connector isn't common on the shelf at computer suppliers over here, but generally available to order.

As Mark says, make sure the cable or camera connectors aren't damaged in any way that prevents the cable form seating tightly. At least the computer port sounds to be OK with the 174 chipped camera running as it should. The tech staff at PGR were great to deal with back when I was having troubles.

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Brian, yes I do have that blue cable and use the fasteners. It is the cable I was given to power the Grasshopper to my battery (a round pin type) that fits but you can't fasten it down.

I have had an initial response from FLIR, they want me to update the firmware, no idea how to do that, will find out tonight when I try. They also suggest a shorter cable (not got one) and a different computer (again not got one). We'll see...

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Let us know how you get on :)

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Mark, yes both programs are in the 'Programs folder'.
Unless it is different for a Flir camera, it does not really matter where the FireCapture software is placed. With the newer versions you just unzip the FireCapture folder somewhere on your computer, and then you can have and run different versions of FireCapture (64bit, 32bit, beta ...), as long as you unzip (or extract) in a different folder. (Of course you need to start the correct shortcut for the version you like to run, and the needed camera drivers need to be installed. Did not find any problems doing that for ZWO cams, but can't speak for others. (selecting the cam for Flir seems a bit different)
For older versions of FC that still had the setup program this will not work this way, but these were 32bit only.

Anyway let us know what Flir comes up with:
supprised they only suggested another cable, another computer and install firmware.

Usually first answers from support organization usually say:
- did you try ctl-alt-del
- did you run a virus scan
- is your system up-2-date

blabla blababla
All essential questions for buying time. (I know, did it myself sometimes when I had to give support :oops:

Regards,

Paul
(sorry buy I am in a sarcastic mood)

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Update:

Mark I have checked the cable and my Grasshopper has 1 pin then 2 sets of 3 pins then 1 pin. The grey cable is exactly the same, it fits but the fixing ring doesn't.

I followed Kevin's advice from FLIR and replied:

I currently use the 3m cable which the Grasshopper 3 was supplied with, although I do have a 1.7m cable and I have tried this in the powered USB3 and the camera is still registering as USB2.

Unfortunately I only have one USB3 powered port on my computer and our other computer is an Apple Mac and we have just discovered that we cannot download FlyCapture for this computer so we are unable to test it in another port/computer.

We have updated the firmware to v 2.33.3.0 we then restarted the computer and checked the camera again and unfortunately FlyCapture still says it is USB2 and still getting speeds of 14fps rather than 26fps. In my astronomy software Firecapture I can only achieve 8fps so this is half speed again from FlyCapture.

I enclosed a report from the configuration analysis tool that Kevin sent and also the RMA form to enquire about how much it may cost to fix.

I will wait for his next reply (probably overnight again).

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Montana wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm
Mark I have checked the cable and my Grasshopper has 1 pin then 2 sets of 3 pins then 1 pin. The grey cable is exactly the same, it fits but the fixing ring doesn't.
That's the right connector, however very weird the locking ring doesn't lock. Where my mind was going with this was maybe you'd got a Blackfly cable (different pin configuration). The power cable continually falling out (because it couldn't be fixed) could well be a contributing factor to the erratic camera behaviour. An arcing 12v feed (as the power cable fell out of the back of the camera) would certainly drop spiking voltage into the camera circuit.

I'm sure Bob Yoesle has posted before PGR cameras have a 'fixed price' for fixing etc, let me do a search....

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Bart!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys and thanks Bob for the information.

Kevin replied saying my USB3 driver was out of date on my computer so we updated it as per his link. It made no difference, the camera is still USB2, however when I plug it in it now says 'this device can perform faster in a USB3 super speed socket'. I know that, it is a USB3 socket, the Blackfly and ZWO thinks it is a USB3 socket.

I desperately need to find another computer with a USB3 on it, I may ask around at work today.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Meant to ask last night, was updating the firmware on the camera an easy thing?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Yes, if you go into the Flycapture folder, right at the bottom there is an application called UpdatorGUI.

Then go to the website and download the file for your firmware and save it some where.

Make sure your camera is plugged in, then open up UpdatorGUI

Then browse for the file you saved and enter it (middle section) and then click update. It does everything automatically and the camera flashes all sorts of different colours until it finishes.

Then close down computer and start up again and plug camera in. You can then check the firmware edition on the first page of Flycapture before you click OK to start.

It must be simple if we managed it!

Alexandra

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Alexandra...

Good to hear the firmware update went well.

Any progress on the frame rates?

Back to my earlier message about the cables, I misunderstood which one wasn't fitting tightly...my bad!

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Update:

I took the camera to work and downloaded FlyCapture on an Alienware PC in advanced imaging. The new version of Flycapture is absolutely useless as it doesn't create a shortcut and there is no application file to find to open it. I am sure half the download is missing and this is why it didn't work on my PC or allow Firecapture to work properly. Do not download 2.13 keep on 2.11 if you can.

Anyway, I eventually found an application which allowed me to open up and at least see the specifics of the camera and it still said Grasshopper 3 USB2.

So I reported back and today they want it back for repair and it will cost €80 + 20% VAT

So we shall see.

Alexandra

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Alexandra...

Despite the need to repair the camera, you at eliminated your computer/cables are being the problem.

Hopefully the repair investment is worth the time and expense!!!

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Let us know what they say Alexandra

Are you dealing with FLIR europe i'm guessing? I've been dealing with Clearview Imaging here in the UK and found them very helpful with my PGR questions https://www.clearviewimaging.co.uk/

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Hello Mark,

I was dealing with America for the fault finding but now it seems I am dealing with Germany for sending it back for repair. I bought my camera from Clearview but it is out of warranty now and as I have got this far I may as well carry on.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hope it all sorts itself soon! :)

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Not much luck yet, been waiting for a week and half for return instructions and after 3 e-mails still no joy. I am beginning to lose hope :(

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

The saga continues...

After a week and half of mithering to get the shipping instructions from FLIR they insist that I only use FedEx express or UPS express otherwise my camera will be returned immediately and they won't touch it.

Well that isn't going to happen because FedEx is next to impossible to find a drop off point and UPS we have found one at Abdul's off licence in Hulme. However the shipping £80 !!!! I am not impressed as I can send this fully insured to Canada for £15 via Royal Mail and I can use my local post office too.

I am NOT impressed with FLIR.

I have written back to ask whether I can send it back to ClearView Imaging where I bought from and let them deal with it.
I am not having a good week.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hmmm. Slovenly service! :cry:

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Alexandra,

think you should handle this with ClearView. Normally (think it is an EEC regulation? not sure) it is the one who sold the goods , is the point of contact, not the producer. (At least this is for warranty, but these cam's seems to be covere by some warranty replacement/repair fee)

That cost from UPS is ridicilous. Flir should organize the transport (they probably get better tarifs) and mayb charge that, or show goodwill.

Strengthens my opinion Flir is not interested in selling to astronomers. Why should they ther business is machine vision, surveillance and not a few amateurs. When I wanted to buy one, searched for a dealer, could not find one, except their website where the only way of ordering one is by making an inquiry. Probably good cameras, but service? Maybe different in the old PointGray times.

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I agree Paul, if I don't hear anything from them today I will be writing to Clear View tonight.
It is the fact that I have to pay return postage, then they charge 80 euros for repair and return postage. I thought fair enough. Then they sent requirements for how I posted it back to them and if I didn't follow their rules it would be returned immediately without them looking at it. It has to be the Express version (most expensive) and it has to be with UPS or FedEx. I am not a company and I do not have an account with these guys. All I have is the post office. Also if they are charging in Euros why is it going to Canada, why not charge in Canadian dollars or pounds? Frustrating!

Alexandra

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Alexandra...

It sounds like the ideal option would be to return it directly to FLIR, but sounds to be complicated by dealer arrangements and political crud...EU/North America trade is always more complicated than it should be. Hope you get it sorted out!!!

There was a time when Point Grey had an Astronomy rep, but that position didn't last long...same with Lumenera in years past. Sad part is that it is such a small market for cameras for amateur astronomical use in each company its pretty hard to put the people in place to develop the niche market.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Update

ClearView Imaging was a breath of fresh air, they replied to me within an hour and had everything sorted within 3 hrs. Should have done this 2 weeks ago :roll:

I posted the Grasshopper off to them on Friday (from the post office) for a nice cheap price. ClearView are doing everything for £95 (yes pounds) so that is fix it and shipping :hamster:

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

perfect!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good to know for future reference!

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Great to hear you have the camera off for service!!!
Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome