Lunt CaK PST #1 follow up

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Lunt CaK PST #1 follow up

Post by george9 »

I am using a 92mm f/7 apo with Lunt B1200 CaK followed by a PST #1 filter and then an ASI290, mainly for real-time viewing. It looks pretty sharp even without limiting the aperture.

I usually view the disc surface, and I have never noticed extra reflections despite not tilting. In my R2 imager, I thought adding the PST #1 added contrast. Today with my ASI290, I was not sure it added much, but there wasn't much going on. I wonder if the improvement in the R2 was simply placing the brightness at a more optimal point (since the R2 does not have continuous adjustment).

I went to higher gain for prominences, and then a reflection was obvious. A broad haze mostly to the side. I tried tilting it, but it just produced a more focused reflection.

So I was planning on permanently mounting the PST #! somewhere in the Lunt CaK, but now I am not so sure. I'll need to demonstrate a real improvement on the disc.

George