The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project is proudly sponsored by the following fine companies:
ImageImageImageImage
Transit of Mercury in the Spicule Layer. Phil took this great image with his Quantum 6 Scope, Solar Spectrum etalon and PGR Camera.

Welcome to Solar Chat! The best forum for Solar Astronomy
Moving forward from solar cycle 24 to 25

Mercury transit / equipment.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
GKA
The Sun?
The Sun?

Mercury transit / equipment.

Post by GKA » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 am

Hi , if the weather checks out i would like to try to get some Pictures from the transcision ,however it has to be done With a DSLR and prime Focus.
I'm a newbie at this but i have 2 sorts of Equipment i can use.
1) T-ring With 2" adapter and 2" wratten 58 filter using solar film in front.
2) T-ring With 1.25" adapter and 1.25" Baader continum filter also using solar filter in front.

Which one of these will be the better one ?
Any advice are welcommed.

All the best.

Montana
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Mercury transit / equipment.

Post by Montana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Do you think you will get some sunshine this weekend? I would have a little practice run and see which one you like best. If you have a UV/IR filter I would add that especially with the continuum filter and you will get a crisper image.

Alexandra

GKA
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by GKA » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 pm

That's the problem , no sun , i have tested the 2" Equipment (once) and it Works pretty well , just Wonder if the Baader continum filter will give better or worse quality since it's 1.25"

The weather forcast for , and until monday , are not very good,but i thought i should be prepared anyway :-)
I also have a Herschel wedge With uv/ir filter in front , which i use With the Baader filter for Visual, but no camera tested for this yet.

Montana

Post by Montana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:05 pm

I would use then what you have tested before, just go for it and bag some images with something you know works. Then if you have time try the other combination. Better to be safe and get that image :)

Alexandra