The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project is proudly sponsored by the following fine companies:
ImageImageImageImage
Transit of Mercury in the Spicule Layer. Phil took this great image with his Quantum 6 Scope, Solar Spectrum etalon and PGR Camera.

Welcome to Solar Chat! The best forum for Solar Astronomy
Moving forward from solar cycle 24 to 25

How bring ASI174MM in focus with PST solar telescope

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Jordan Konisky
The Sun?
The Sun?

How bring ASI174MM in focus with PST solar telescope

Post by Jordan Konisky » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 pm

My query relates to focusing my PST40 while using it with a ZWO ASI174mm video camera. To bring the system into focus I use a 2X Barlow lens (bottom only) screwed on to the nose of the camera. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, this solves the problem of bringing this camera into focus with the PST 40. While this works ok, I have found that to bring the solar edge into sharpest focus, requires that I rotate the focusing knob clockwise as far as it will go, that is, until it is tightened down all the way. I would prefer that the position of the knob at edge-focus would provide me flexibility on both the counterclockwise and clockwise sides of the focus point. The ability to move across the focus in both directions would give more confidence in establishing the best focus. Any suggestions on how I might further adapt my setup to address this issue would be greatly appreciated.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: How bring ASI174MM in focus with PST solar telescope

Post by marktownley » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 am

Hi Jordan,

Get a shorter nosepiece for the camera.

Mark
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:23 am

Mark,

suppose you mean ZWO's low profile nosepiece. That is prohlematic on an ASI174. (seems then you need to remove the protective window)
ZWO says: "PS: this new cover can not hold the protect window of ASI174MM/MC, so you need an external 1.25″ filter"

Paul

Rusted
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Rusted » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:25 am

The filter problem with the ASI174 is discussed on the ASI website related to the low profile cover. "Adapter" would seem a better term.

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pr ... file-cover

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 am

Yes, that is the one but as you can see on this image the protective window is in the back parts that you need to unscrew to place the part. (other cams have that over the sensor) So you need an extra filter at least for dust protection.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.04 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 am

Change the distance between the Barlow nosepiece and the camera, maybe put in 10 mm extension, should shift the focal position far enough to get away from the end stop of the thread. At the end stop the penta prism will be pushed off square which is why one edge of the disk is out of focus with respect to the other.
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!