ASI183 FPS and settings

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

ASI183 FPS and settings

Post by DavidP »

I'm new to solar imaging and am using an ASI183 right now for full disc with a double stacked 75mm front mounted filters.
Setting gain as low as possible to keep the histogram around 80 to 90%, I end up with a gain of around 206 (45%) but am only getting fps ranges of 2 to 6. Comments on these settings and explanation of why I can get more FPS?
Thanks

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: ASI183 FPS and settings

Post by Merlin66 »

David,
I used an ASI 183MM on my SM60 DS/ ED80 for a while and returned it to ZWO due to "technical issues when imaging solar Ha". They supplied an ASI 1600MM in exchange.
I also use a x1.6 Barlow.
I use SharpCapture with a zero gain setting of 139 and a gamma of 50.
Vary the exposure to bring the histogram up to 85-90%
I can usually get around 12fps with a full frame, better if you ROI just the solar disk.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,

the max fps range of the ASI183 in full resolution is 19fps. But you will need a fast computer and usb connection to get that. Also important for that is that USB limit is set at 100%. (But you risc dropping frames when your system can't coop)

You also did not specify exposure length setting. That is important too, because it limits the framerate. To slow and you can't get the 19fps anymore.

Rgrds,

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

PDB wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:20 am Also important for that is that USB limit is set at 100%.
Where is this set Paul?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Depends on the program used Mark.

In FC it's called USB Traffic (set in the Control window under the Gear Icon (More button)

In my old SharpCap is called Turbo USB
and in Genika under Options -> Performance -> Bandwith limit

P.

DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

I have a USB3 connection and USB speed is set at 100%.
I have been capturing for 60 seconds.
My laptop has 12GB of RAM. Do you think putting a SSD hard drive might help. My current one is certainly no great shakes.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think I would check exposure time first, I very often find I can't get full fps because the exposure is too long and thus impossible to get full fps. What exposure time did you use for your capture?

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,
check what speed you get (fps) when capturing with and without saving to disk. If the speed is already bad (and loosing frames) without the capture active (saving) then the SSD does not help. If you ar use FireCapture you should set the buffering, that also helps. (under settings -> general-> use ram buffer) Mentions "experimental" but it works if you have memory avail.

If you see fps go down while you are capturing to disk, then an SSD is recommended. (In my system, which is desktop system I use one of these M2 SDD's with PCI (not SATA!) support. Speed is tremendous.

Paul

DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

Great suggestions. Thanks.
I didn’t realize that the fps were limited by longer exposure times. With 5 ms exposures, I was averaging about 6 fps. With this setting, I had a gain of 45%. Is that alright? Wiith 10 ms , I was only getting 1 fps. I’ll check the speeds I’m getting with and without saving to disk.