Unpowered Quark

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
astro_al
The Sun?
The Sun?

Unpowered Quark

Post by astro_al » Thu May 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Hello all.

The folks over at SGL suggested I ask my question here for an expert opinion :)

I took delivery of a Quark Chromosphere a few weeks ago and have been using it mainly with an F7.5 3" refractor. Initially with a 2" UV/IR filtering in front of the diagonal but now with a 35nm Ha filter.

I read a lot about the Quarks before purchasing and I realise that they vary in specification. Over the first few sessions I determined that the best setting was fully CCW at -5. With this I could see nice detailed proms and a hint of surface detail. Moving to the 0 position dimmed the proms and didn't improve anything else, moving on to +5 gave more of a white light view.

A couple of days ago I was looking to try and see the plage that I could see on the GONG website. I had been observing the day before and was completely unaware of it. Now that I knew the position I could just about make something out but that's all. Later in the day the plage was much easier to see and the view was much better, I thought maybe because of the seeing, but in the end it turns out I didn't plug the Quark into the power source. When I plugged it in and got the green light for -5 the view was back to being the same as earlier in the day.

I have repeated the unpowered test a further three times. Each time bringing the Quark out from the house and observing without power first, so not viewing with power then pulling the plug i.e. no residual heat. Each time so far the view is better without power than with.

The general consensus on SGL is that without power I should not be seeing proms, spicules and other features, just more of a white light type view. My main concern is that if the views are better without power then I don't really have any control over the unit. I am in the UK and have used the Quark unpowered in the morning (~10 degrees C) and afternoon (up to ~24 degrees C).

If anyone can share any relevant Quark experience or insights it would be much appreciated.

This is my first post on SolarChat, thanks for reading it.

Al

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Unpowered Quark

Post by marktownley » Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum. That's not right at all. Where did you buy it from? You need to send it back it is faulty.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana » Fri May 22, 2020 8:17 am

Yes, definitely faulty. If my heater went faulty and I couldn't heat enough and my centreline was +6 or more (which didn't exist) then your etalon is working at -6 and below (which also doesn't exist). So you definitely do not need a heater for where your etalon is set for centreline. Really you need a cooler.

Send it straight back, but you won't get that one back, you will get a different one.
Alexandra

astro_al
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by astro_al » Fri May 22, 2020 9:23 am

Mark, thanks for the welcome and for your reply. I purchased my Quark from First Light Optics as I have always found them to be very good to deal with. I have had an initial response this morning which wasn't what I was hoping for, but I am sure it will get sorted.

Alexandra, thank you for your insight. That makes perfect sense to me and it is good to hear that someone else has had a similar issue and got it resolved.

My point to the vendor and manufacturer has been that if the heater isn't needed at all then it cannot be as designed so must be faulty. Hope to get it resolved soon.

Regards

Al

astro_al
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by astro_al » Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 am

Just hear back from FLO. The Quark is going to be collected on Monday so that they can test it and replace if faulty, which is great news as I feel confident that working unpowered is pretty definitive.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Fri May 22, 2020 10:35 am

FLO are good guys and I recommend them, I had a faulty quark and it went back no quibbles or questions. I always recommend them as a retailer.

Let us know how you get on with your new Quark and share images here too!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

astro_al
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by astro_al » Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Will do, although I am visual only so no images. Happy to share my (newbie) experiences though!

Highbury Mark
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Highbury Mark » Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm

I have heard from one owner that he used to heat his Quark until the light changed, then turned off the heater, and he’d get very good views for a long time without power. And he was based in decidedly not warm Scandinavia.
Otherwise, the description of the views you were getting sound similar to mine - not great on surface detail but superb proms. Hope you get a better replacement.

TV85 + Solarscope SF70DS (on the way)
Lunt LS60DS
Quark Chromosphere
Baader wedge

astro_al
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by astro_al » Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 am

Highbury Mark wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm
I have heard from one owner that he used to heat his Quark until the light changed, then turned off the heater, and he’d get very good views for a long time without power. And he was based in decidedly not warm Scandinavia.
That would drive me crazy! I would (do) really want a setting that under power shows me the best view for my unit. If I turn the power off or move away from that setting then the view should typically not be as good. That’s the way I see it anyway.