Can I have an 2020 update on where we are with Ca-K filter controls.

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Can I have an 2020 update on where we are with Ca-K filter controls.

Post by Valery » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am

John,

I would advice you to move ahead and not follow in the other's tale. You do have a fantastic device - the SAFIX, which can allow you to fine adjust your imaging train when it caompletely assembled.

Do not also listen to tales that a good seeing is so rare that there is no sense to hunt for it and better to limit yourself with achievent like CaK image with a tiny 150mm hole. Leave this economical minimalism to Marty. Do not allow his advices to limit your flight ahead if you want to fly ahead freely.

Unlike Marty, I do not live in Florida on a large grassy area. I live in 30 feets from asphalt road with and my scope is on a tiny grass lawn - all near the center of 400000 city. 46-37' north! See what can be achieved at such location on REGULAR basis, without perfect seeing - but with correctly optimized and large setup. And, of course, with a correct image processing. No SSM, no tuny 150mm hole, no 50mm chinese ultra-economical micro derf. Free flight. Compare it with Dutch Open Telescope image (small crop) - 450mm open telescope construction with professional milticavity CaH filter, installed in open dome at 15m above ground and at 2500m altitude at Canary Islands Observatory with usual subarcsecond seeing.

Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I will try to help you out with most effective setup construction.

Valery
Attachments
__05h12m UT ARIES DERF CaK Valery.png
__05h12m UT ARIES DERF CaK Valery.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 70 times
DOT.png
DOT.png (647.3 KiB) Viewed 70 times

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

solarGain
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Can I have an 2020 update on where we are with Ca-K filter controls.

Post by solarGain » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:30 am

Valery Hi. PM sent.
All the best
John