Point Grey (FLIR) cameras and Firecapture problems

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Point Grey (FLIR) cameras and Firecapture problems

Post by Montana »

Can anyone help, I have bought a new Windows 10 laptop and after 3 hours of trying I cannot get my 3 PGR cameras to work with FireCapture. I have tried nearly every trick I know and I have run out of them.

1. Installed brand new Flycapture 2 software (took 1 hr to download and is now a whopping 2.5GB in size compared to the old version which was 500mb)

2. Ran the Grasshopper 3 in Flycapture, works great!

3. Downloaded Firecapture 2.6 - Grasshopper 3 worked great!

4. Plugged Chameleon in and ran in Flycapture 2 great!

5. Plugged into Firecapture - Won't work, Firecapture now says it is a missing the Flycapture2 SDK, download it and reboot.

6. Put Grasshopper in again and now that won't work either, says it is missing the SDK.

7. Rebooted, still both won't work.

8. Copied the old FlyCapture 2 over from the old computer which worked and rebooted

7. Both cameras still don't work.

8. On the Fircapture screen it says to check the cmd path says c:PGR/Flycapture2 path. Mine actually says Flycapture2AIK as the new software is called AIK. But Torsten fails to say how you delete the AIK in the path and change it to just Flycapture2

I am out of ideas now, any help would be great.

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Point Grey (FLIR) cameras and Firecapture problems

Post by Montana »

Well, we have spent 2 hrs each night for 5 days now and tried every combination Torsten states in his videos and help guides and nothing works. We have even learned coding.

SharpCap does work but it is horrible, there is no gamma setting and I use that all the time. Also the Grasshopper 3 seems to be registered as a colour camera as all I get is colour noise in the screen capture and the histogram shows RGB and I can't find anywhere in the software to change it to mono.

So I guess I need to write to Torsten but he is probably fed up with PGR cameras by now :( Ugg and I have 3 of the damn things.

Alexandra

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

SharpCap does work but it is horrible, there is no gamma setting and I use that all the time. Also the Grasshopper 3 seems to be registered as a colour camera as all I get is colour noise in the screen capture and the histogram shows RGB and I can't find anywhere in the software to change it to mono.
Hi,

That is interesting. Have you contacted Robin ? I know, once one has a preference for a certain software it is difficult to change over to another one ... but if the known one does not respond then I guess a new one which responds is a better choice IMHO ...

Will need to test again FireCapture :shock:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
mherman346
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by mherman346 »

On Firecapture problems: immediate crash of imaging camera capture.

I have tonight discovered that this immediate crash can be due to the selection of the capture file Folder.

If you use the default C:\ for the capture folder, the file system is now locked out by Win10 in general.

Instead you must select a folder in the Documents area, which has user access. Using a folder with the name such as
C:\astrovideos enabled my camera (ZWO ASI178) to capture images perfectly... only after my target disappeared in the foggy sky.

So... see if changing the file folder location eliminates your capture crashes, as it did mine tonight.

Best of luck,
Michael

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks for the info Micheal, that is very interesting indeed. However I can't even open the program, when I click open I get an error message saying it is missing the FlyCapture2 SDK and then all you can do is exit. So I have never got that far yet, I really wish I could :)

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Montana wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:51 am Thanks for the info Micheal, that is very interesting indeed. However I can't even open the program, when I click open I get an error message saying it is missing the FlyCapture2 SDK and then all you can do is exit. So I have never got that far yet, I really wish I could :)

Alexandra
Hi Alexandra,

If that is the error message ¿ have you installed it FlyCapture SDK ?

I think it is worth a trial ... Was your older PC a 32 bit system and now I guess the new is 64 bit system ... maybe that is a reason ..

Just a guess from my side.

Searching for this I have seen that the brand Point Grey is now FLIR :o ¿? I did not find a website with point grey anymore ...

You can download it here FlyCapture SDK

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Have you got this sorted yet Alexandra?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I'm getting there with Torsten's help :) managed to get v2.6 working so far (2.5 is a fail) and v2.7beta is a fail. But with copied parts from v2.7beta in the v2.6 worked. I'll explain later when I get an obvious answer in case others have the same problem. I think we have spent about 12 hrs of time fiddling with this so far, I can't wait to start on Adobe Photoshop :shock:

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Update:

The winning combination is:

Latest version of FlyCapture2 install 32 bit version in the Programs(x86) area
Copied folder of Firecapture v2.6 64 bit from old computer and placed it in the Programs(x86) area
Removed the FlyCam.dll from the the FCv2.6 folder
Replaced FlyCam.dll with the one from Firecapture 2.7beta

It all works.

However some of the cameras are not operating at full frame rates like on the old computer. The worst offender is the ZWO ASI174 where I am only getting 40 fps rather than 65 fps. The FLIR Blackfly colour is getting 40fps instead of 45fps.

Both the Grasshopper and Chameleon are at full frame rate. Does anyone know why?

Second problem, does anyone have any experience with Windows 10? I cannot get Firecapture 2.7 beta to work at all as the program will not start. Torsten is totally out of ideas and thinks it is a security issue. Does anyone have experience with Win10 and security issues and getting these kind of programs to work?

The final problem is the display but with Rainer's help I have an Xrite i1 Pro on order. I hope it solves the issues I have as the 4K screen is not what I thought it would be. I thought this would be an upgrade and improvement from the 1080p screen I have had for 8 years. It cannot display black properly, so let this be a warning to folks. As astronomy is key here and it cannot display blacks properly I am kind of in a hopeless mess. All blacks are a graded pixellated mess, colour is great but as soon as you get black black it becomes displayed as large graded blacks of black colour. This is both for video or images. For astronomy images it is impossible to display properly and you certainly wouldn't be able to analyse or process an image especially for noise. I really hope this Xrite will solve this issue by getting the black display settings correct because otherwise it is actually stepping back in time 30 years. I am most disappointed. Has anyone got experience of 4K screens and display?

Kind regards
Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Alexandra,
However some of the cameras are not operating at full frame rates like on the old computer. The worst offender is the ZWO ASI174 where I am only getting 40 fps rather than 65 fps. The FLIR Blackfly colour is getting 40fps instead of 45fps.
Did you check USBTraffic value? It probably defaults to 40% Set it at 100%.
Second problem, does anyone have any experience with Windows 10? I cannot get Firecapture 2.7 beta to work
I run W10 now for years on different computers. No problems at all. Not wit Genika, Firecapture, AS!3, IMPPG or anything else. FC2.7beta runs without problems. Maybe you get that "untrusted publisher" dangerous screen. Think there is an advanced button there, and run anywhay.

maybe check this (and if set to block, change to warn)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (82.78 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
Your fist issue:
Never understood FLIR software. Maybe they make good cameras, but lousy software.
The way it was solved does not seems logical, but if it works ....

Greetings,

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Paul,

Just had to look up where to find the USB traffic on the web. Plugged in the ZWO and found it was set at 80%. I changed it to 100% and now it is working great!! Thank you :hamster: One problem solved :seesaw

As for the Windows security, I have checked this and it is already set to warn. All my settings look the same as yours. My problem is that when I double click on the exe it opens, flashes the black script box for a thousandth of a second, and then nothing happens. It fails to start. No warnings or anything it just won't get going. This is not an FLIR problem it is a Windows problem.

I am starting to dislike Win10 and this new Dell. Very sad really but it is like going backwards in time rather than improving on an 8 year old laptop. Give me my old Win7 Dell laptop any day! Pity the housing is broken the hard drive is failing and it has no security updates.

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Well found one reason how this could happen ....

If you already have a firecapture folder in your home folders then the first startup hangs. It uses now a firecapture folder in your home folders for all settings. (if the folder exists, it tries to use it, but does not contain valid data. If it does not exits if will create the folder, and then you can copy your old settings in that folder)

So check if you have a folder in your "home" folders (under c:\users\your_user_name)
If it exists, rename it an try again. The first startup takes a while before you see any action ...

Hope this solves the problem.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Paul,

The hubby spent another evening tinkering around again yesterday. There is no trace of any FireCapture folder in this area 2.6 or 2.7. This is what Torsten asked us to find. It is not there.

Unfortunately we are not experienced with Win10 as we have only had it now for 12 days. None of this makes sense, on my old laptop I had Flycapture2 working at 64 bit and FireCapture 2.5 and 2.6 64 bit working fine. On this one FireCapture 2.5 and 2.7 will not function at all. The only way 2.6 works was with many hours fiddling with many combinations. It is a big waste of lifetime hours and not logical.

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hmmm,

frustrating. Do you have a log file in the firecapture folder. (proably Torsten asked that already).

I have been working with the beta version all day (and night) with camera, telescope, focuser and autoguiding. Only one problem when switching ROI when autoguiding is running, then it sometimes crashes. No other problems.

I did not install latest W10 version 2002. (I rolled it back because it gave me usb troubles with the Atik camera after 1 hour)

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Hi Paul,

We downloaded FireCapture v2.7beta again and left it in downloads. We extracted all and there are 44 items in the folder. We clicked 'run as administrator' on the .exe application and usual nothing happened. We had no cameras attached or anything.

There was still only 44 items in the folder, no log file.

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,

the log file should be found in that firecapture folder it creates. But I wonder if something makes it impossible to create a new folder there.

If you go to that folder with explorer (This PC -> Arrow Up -> and double click on the foler with User Icon and User Name)

- Do you see a folder firecapture there?
- Can you create any folder or files there?

Now I am almost out of ideas .....

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Paul, Yes Torsten asked for this as well.

We have a This PC > OS:(C) > Users > Alexandra & Darren > App data > and three choices either 'Local', 'LocalLow' or 'Roaming'

Most applications seem to save files in the 'Local' folder. We can create a FicreCapture folder in them all.

However there is no FireCapture folder in there, not even a v2.6 folder and I have used this program and it is working.

My husband keeps saying it is because it is just a folder full of stuff and not a program, I don't know what he means by this.

Do you have 44 files in your FireCapture v2.7 folder? this is half the number of which I have in FireCapture 2.6. It is like half the program is missing?

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,

44 items is correct.

You should look in This PC > OS:(C) > Users > Alexandra & Darren

Not in appdata or further down.

But .... I don't like the & sign in the folder name (You created a username Alexandra & Darren?)

These special signs (and also the spaces, but I gues the & sign) might create all the problems. Not all multiplatform computer languages like Java, or cross compiled stuff (Window, Linux, Mac) can suffer from charachters they don't expect in a file path.

Give me some time, I will create a test for that on my system.

Regards,

Paul
Last edited by PDB on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Ok. Went thru all the microsoft shit to create a local account (used to be simple in the earlier days) and named it "Paul & Els"
Downloaded firecapture, unzipped it. Started it and gues: it does NOT work!

so that's the reason. Can you signal this to Torsten, maybe he can find a solution.

Regards,

Paul

update: forgot to run as administrator, then it works. (but my admin is a different user so ...)
Then it uses the profile from the administrator and there is no & in the folder path.

So yes really think that is the problem

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Ohhh G*******

Why don't they teach computer speak, we would never know that. Why don't they say 'add user name to start, but only use letters and numbers' it would be simple. That will make the hubby happy :)

Thanks a million!!! Paul you are star!

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

You can try to change the user name via control panel. But I don't know if that will also change the folder names.
On the start icon, just type control panel, there you can change account names.

Paul

JVannini
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by JVannini »

Hello!

This is my first comment on this forum topic. I am sorry for "resurrecting" an old topic, but as many of you here, I do also have a Grasshopper camera (GRAS-20S4M-C) that worked with an El Capitan macbook pro and AstroIIDC. Everything went well until the old macbook died when I spilled coffee over it. (accidentally, of course) No available Mac Center available in Lima, Peru during the pandemics.

I have a Windows 10 computer, with no Firewire port. I've found a Fireware-to-USB cable in Amazon. Before buying it, I would like to ask if any of you have ever tried one of those cables? (picture attached)

Thank you!

JVannini
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by JVannini »

Sorry for replying to my own post, but I did fail to notice that the calbe is not suited for the camera.

So, I reformulate the question: have you interfaced the Firewire 1394b to USB? What cable or adapter may you recommend, please?

Clear skies!