Photoshop and layers

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
solarGain
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Photoshop and layers

Post by solarGain »

I seem to have gone rather rusty over the use of photoshop in my weeks of layoff.
It involves layers and blending etc.
Montana posted this recently, I cannot remember where... and I would certainly
Montana and layers.png
Montana and layers.png (119.19 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
hijack the post that it was found in if I begun a conversation.
I wonder if you wouldn't mind elaborating on a few things.
"Then process the surface etc"... is this in Layer > New > Layer. And then blending, I attempted this but could see no obvious benefit from trying.
So I must be feeling my age now :(

Montana if you could help I would appreciate your help.
Oh, and one other thing how do I thank people formally with the widget thing showing etc.
All the best
John

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Photoshop and layers

Post by Montana »

John,

The simplest way for you is to Ctrl + J twice (ignore the background layer otherwise it gets complicated if you make changes to that) and create two new layers.

Switch off the top layer concentrate on the bottom layer (not background layer) and get the spot correct.

Switch off the bottom layer and highlight the top layer and get the surface correct.

Switch all the layers on again and move to the top layer. With the eraser tool set the tool to a reasonable size and choose maybe 50% or 60% opacity. Gently brush over the spot area to reveal the brighter layer underneath. Keep brushing in a sensitive way. You can always go backwards and try again if you don't like it. It is a bit like art in blending. You can also change the whole layer and lower the opacity of the whole lot to blend into the bottom layer as well. Then flatten the image.

I think I have got this is in the right order but I am going by memory :)

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Not sure what you mean about the widget thing?

If you mean the 'thank button' if you look at the top right of someones post you see a thumb, click on it and it will thank someone :)

Alexandra

solarGain
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by solarGain »

Ok, that seems enough for me to be getting on with it, except that it is so hot and stuffy being indoors right now.
I may come back to you in the next few days if that is OK. And thank you.
All the best
John

_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

Montana wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Switch all the layers on again and move to the top layer. With the eraser tool set the tool to a reasonable size and choose maybe 50% or 60% opacity. Gently brush over the spot area to reveal the brighter layer underneath. Keep brushing in a sensitive way. You can always go backwards and try again if you don't like it.
Even better, use a Layer Mask and then you are not destructively altering the data in the layer. https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/ho ... -mask.html

The next learning step from there is to convert the layer and mask into a Smart Object. That means you can go back at anytime and alter anything within the layer.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

There is simple and there is complicated :)

Alexandra

_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

Layer Masking is simple and prevents destructive editing. It's one of the most powerful tools in PS and well worth the time invested in learning it.