DMK41 and Windows 10

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

DMK41 and Windows 10

Post by Montana »

Does anyone have any experience with Windows 10 and Imaging Source DMK41?

We have tried ICCapture 2.1 - 2.5 and all of them can't run the DMK41.

I get the same error, it recognises the camera but it can't run the camera in Live mode, it either thinks the firewire bus is busy (no idea why as I don't have firewire it USB2) or this error
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.04 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Any help would be appreciated. We have spent an hour and half so far on this and got nowhere. It is not Bitdefender and the camera works great on the old Windows 7 computer. I am also sure that it worked fine back in June on Windows 10 when it was first set up. So this is a Windows 10 update thing I am sure.

Many thanks
Alexandra

Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: DMK41 and Windows 10

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Alexandra,

Just wondering if it might help to reinstall the camera driver software. Maybe something got corrupted during an update. Just clutching at straws....

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thank Stuart, we removed the software and downloaded all the versions up until the latest one and each one doesn't work. This computer is useless, the PGR cameras are only working just about and won't work with software greater than Firecapture 2.6. Now the DMK41 doesn't work. Soon I will be left with no cameras at all. I'll have to give up at that point because we both don't have a degree in Windows 10 :(

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

The Hubby (bless his soul) spent the morning fiddling on the computer again and has solved the issue.

It seems that the USB3 sockets in this new fancy computer are not powered!!! they are only battery power when the laptop is off and used for charging things. Only the USB C is powered. Once the hubby used an adapter and plugged it into the USB-C it worked.

Maybe this is why I have struggled all summer with the PGR cameras, with poor display, poor frame rate and terrible noise :( Dell, what are you thinking!!

The USB-C socket is so small and flimsy I can see me snapping it off in the socket when carting the telescopes, cameras around in the sunshine with the cover. Not at all the best socket in the world and not heavy duty at all. Oh well, at least it is a mystery solved. I need to check all the other cameras now.

Alexandra

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Alexandra,

Maybe Dell has chosen to limit the output current for low power devices only (typically below 150 mA at 5 Volts). This is too little to power our cameras. The DMK41 requires the port to deliver 500 mA at 5 V, or 2.5 W. USB3 ports are usually able to deliver up to 900 mA, apparently (4.5 W at 5 V). Is there a USB configuration setting that requires reconfiguring from power sharing mode?

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

The Hubby found this https://www.dell.com/support/article/en ... ps?lang=en

The only lightning bolt is on the USB-C sockets. Apparently all Dells are like this now. Feel a bit conned :(

Alexandra