Siril

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Siril

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Going through the download store on my Linux ( Ubuntu ) desktop I find an image editing and stacking program called Siril. I have never heard of it. Like most if not all of the apps/programs available in Ubuntu is is open source and free. It will run natively in Ubuntu unlike the others which must be ran using the Wine runtime environment. But how good is it? Has anyone here used it or tried it out? It is also available for MacOS and Windows.

https://siril.org/

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Siril

Post by PDB »

Siril is mainly for deep-sky stacking and processing and does a very good job for that. (Much better than DeepSkyStacker)
The interface not always very intiutive, but the result are very good.

The version on Ubuntu repos is "old". For the latest and much better one could add this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~lock042/+archive/ubuntu/siril (instructions are there)

It also works on Winows.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Paul,
Are you a Linux user? I have both Linux and Windows 7 on my desktop. On a reboot it first displays the grub screen where I can select which OS to boot into. As Windows 7 is now a year past support I find myself using Ubuntu more and more. I like it's simple old-school layout better than that of Windows 8 or 10 and it's probably more secure than either. It's downside is that it doesn't have the app/program base that Windows has.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

James,

My main desktop machine is a Linux Ubuntu 20.01 (with Mate Deskop). It used to run W10, but I moved that to a VM on the Linux machine. (Since I paid for a license, I still use it sometimes, mostly for testing software that needs to be platform independen. For Solar Work I still have a separate W10 machine. Still using it with Windows, because the ZWO libraries on Linux are "crap" . They work OK for deesp-sky, but for high speed capturing these can't do the job. (Tried FireCapture on Linux which on iself works ok, but the ZWO lib start spitting errors when I want to run at high speed. Tested it on the same computer: once with W10 no problem, with Linux trouble all the way) There have been discussions on the Indi Forum about this and there have been some tries to make some substitute libraries. (These were very fast, but not completely bug free) It was also briught up on the ZWO forum and Sam (zwo's boss) said they will fix it. We'll wait and see.

For deep-sky: Linux all the way using Indi on Raspberry Pi's. (RPi4 with 64bit Ubuntu and Indi and an old RPi2 for fun and testing)

You would be surprised how much software is available (and some that don't exist like AS!3 work fine using Wine)

Regards,

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Paul,
The version of Ubuntu I am running is Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. It works well on my 2013 model homebuilt desktop running an Intel I5 processor and 16gb of ram. 250gb SSD and 1TB conventional disc drive. I am not using Wine yet for running Windows software on Ubuntu but that could change.

My solar computer is a newly acquired Toshiba Windows 8.1 laptop.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars