Active Regions in Calcium 18/19th July

An archive of all the best images Solar Chat has to offer!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Active Regions in Calcium 18/19th July

Post by marktownley »

Hello everyone! Hope you're all well.

Sorry not been around on here for the past month or so, I think i've had the busiest several weeks at work ever; it has been exam season, and with covid meaning nothing is normal in the world of exams and education I seem to have been eating and breathing work. Up early in the morning for work, back late, eat food, zone out with some tv for a couple of hours then bed, then repeat... The past 5 weekends have seen me away on the boat, it has been a sanctuary, with no email, no internet, no tv etc. With the busy weeks these chill out weekends have been important. Anyway, holiday time here, and some sunshine to boot. I had hoped to observe on saturday but was so shattered I didn't get out of bed till nearly midday - think the last time I did that was in the university days... I was up on sunday though, and decided to try some CaK, I shot at 120mm f20 with the ZWO290mm, I don't think the seeing was quite there and 100mm would have been more appropriate. But, hey ho, first solar for several weeks so was pleased to get something.

Imagear12845-cak-120mm-290m-f20 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Imagear12842-CaK-120mm-290m-f20 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I did mess around with some Ha - I replaced the rusted blocker in my quark with the OEM replacement from Andover and was pleased to see a lot more light, better contrast and more even illumination. Need to process these pictures though...

Fast forward to (this) monday morning and I was out early by 7am, however there were fluffy clouds in the sky and this is a clue to the instability in the atmosphere. I knew the seeing wouldn't be as good, and it wasn't, so I settled on 80mm f22 with the 290mm camera.

Imagear12845-CaK-80mm-f22-290mm by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Imagear12842-CaK-80mm-f22-290mm by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Again I took some Ha shots, and need to process them, but spent most of the morning just chilling in the garden enjoying the views visually through the Coronado DS90 and the subtle changes the sun was showing over the course of the morning.

Hoping to make the most of the weather and get some more imaging in the days ahead before the weather breaks. Apologies if i've missed your posts over the past weeks, have dipped into some, but no way I can go back through them all now.

Hope the sun is shining for you!

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MAURITS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Active Regions in Calcium 18/19th July

Post by MAURITS »

Lovely images Mark glad to see you back..

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Absolute perfection in CaK :bow :bow :bow I wouldn't have expected anything less :hamster: I hope you have a lovely, sunny and restful break :)

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Maurits and Alexandra, it's nice to be back!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I am glad to see you online, Mark. I wondered where you had been. I hope your busy schedule lightens up on you in the coming weeks and allows you some more solar time. You did well on these images, I always enjoy your CaK work. I would have used the boat as a retreat too, if I had one!

Enjoy that SM90 visually. I know I do mine!

Blessings:

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount