Sending etalons by post

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Sending etalons by post

Post by Highbury Mark »

I have a frustrating problem with a Solarscope 70mm filter, which I use as part of a double stack system with a TV85. The inner black filter is stuck fast to the adapter which attaches the etalon to the telescope, and the tiny tuning dial on the filter is no longer adjustable.
If I try to unscrew the filter, its outer casing begins to unscrew, as the glue originally used to hold the casing in place is no longer effective. I’ve tried a strap wrench to separate it, but no joy.
Solarscope will fix the problem, but that will involve a return trip to the Isle of Man. Annoying to risk a perfectly good etalon when the problem is mechanical, but I don’t really have an alternative. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for sending etalons by post - is there a preferred carrier for particularly fragile items, and has anyone ever insured an etalon against decontacting during shipping?
Thanks!

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Sending etalons by post

Post by Montana »

Mark,
do you still have the original box and shipping box that it came to you in? if it got to you safe, then it should get back safe (should). If it decontacts on the way back, you just ship it back again. Solarscope seem very reliable and won't charge you any extra.

I would ask Helmut who best to ship with (who do they use)? if they use them, then they should be good (possibly).

Good luck
Alexandra

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

There's always risk shipping an etalon, always. But don't get too hung up on it. It's just a thing.

I would ask Isle of Man if they have a preferred courier that is reliable for them. Definitely over-package it. While couriers were doing something 2 years ago, the past 2 years have been absolutely atrocious for item integrity post-pandemic. So box-in-box-in-box is a good start. You can insure it, just read the fine print of the courier. I've had no problems with insurance claims on optics with USPS. But I hate USPS for shipping, boxes show up torn open like someone was peaking inside, and they're super rough (at least in my area) with boxes. I have way better success with less damage with UPS, but again, it may be totally area dependent and not at all company/brand related. I have not had to do a claim with UPS/Fedex on optics. But I have done claims on optics with USPS and it was simple (I uploaded pictures and a receipt and got a check in the mail).

Very best,

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Appreciate the replies guys - thanks. Have been in contact with Helmut and will ship the filter back in the original case. Cost of recontacting the etalon would be covered by Royal Mail here in the U.K. if anything did happen.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge