Moon with the LZOS 100/800

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Moon with the LZOS 100/800

Post by marktownley »

In typical fashion after delivery of a new scope I had cloud for what seemed like an age. However we seem to have high pressure with us now, and even though I have a low sun and limited viewing window for solar, the moon is high in the sky and much more suited for observing. With this in mind (and much to Mrs T's annoyance) I got up at 3.30am on sunday morning to take a look at the moon and get a more protracted play with the new scope.

First impressions are very positive, bear in mind i've always been an Achro man, or observing with SCTs, so observing the moon with the LZOS 100/800 was like going from watching TV on a CRT screen, to watching a 4K feed on a high contrast flat panel. It's not very forgiving of eyepieces, and my array of cheapo plossls etc that I use for monochrome solar showed a rainbow of colour. My Pentax 6.5-19.5mm zoom which I previously thought was excellent was showing distinct blue halo. By far the best eyepieces were my Televue plossls. I can see eyepiece shopping is going to be on my list soon...

I was keen to image, and the full disk was taken with the scope at prime focus and the Grasshopper U3 91S6M camera:

ImageFull-Moon-100-800-91S6M by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Switching cameras to the ZWO290mm, and with a 2x cemax barlow on the nose of the camera I went for a closer look. Seeing wasn't really on my side, and a lot of images were taken to get these. The left of the image doesn't look as sharp, can't decide whether that is just because the light is flatter further away from the terminator or something was squiff with the camera...

Imagetycho by Mark Townley, on Flickr

ImagePetavius by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I'm more than pleased with first light, and plan to do more lunar stuff on these dark nights... More eyepieces needed - a 10mm Baader Hyperion next I think. I also want to get a ZWO183 colour cam for the sole reason of colour lunar shots, with the aim of trying some false colour selenological mapping.

Need to pick something like an EQ5 mount up, then I could take this scope (and the HaT) away with me on the boat...

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Moon with the LZOS 100/800

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Oh yes Mark - you have got a beauty with the newbie and the 1st light has worked out well (eventually).. :)
The captures

Apochromatic-Triplets do give a fine example of night-sky/lunar viewing/imaging as I know from my Meade 127mm Apo-triplet, albeit yours is much lighter and shorter in length - a bonus :D

Colour imaging should be interesting for the Moon as we have seen from one other of us, so look forward to seeing those..

Obviously investing in TV EP's is the way forward, as you don't need to sell the boat to pay for them.. :lol:

Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

Regards
Terry

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Mark...

Congrats on the new scope and first light...great pics :bow

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Superb images of the Moon Mark but 3.30am!!!

Could you explain the difference between Achro and LZOS as I haven't a clue what either mean?

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Mark,

Great Moonshots

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks everyone!
Montana wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am Could you explain the difference between Achro and LZOS as I haven't a clue what either mean?
An achro is my short hand for an achromatic refractor - 2 lens make up the objective and different wavelengths come to a slightly different focus so you get colour haloes around what you are looking at. LZOS is the company that made the glass for my scope - it's a triplet (like your TEC) so all wavelengths are focused the same and there is no false colour or haloes around what you are looking at.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Montana wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am Superb images of the Moon Mark but 3.30am!!!

Could you explain the difference between Achro and LZOS as I haven't a clue what either mean?

Alexandra
Alexandra, LZOS is an abbreviation from Russian, it can be translated into English as Lytkarino Optical Glass Plant. It is a Russian optics manufacturer. Here is the link:

https://en-wikipedia-org.turbopages.org ... lass_Plant

Ivan

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Mark, congratulations, great shots.

Ivan

pedro

Post by pedro »

Great Moon shots Mark. You're going to love your triplet Apo refractor

I have several LZOS triple refractors and they are unmatched - the best hands down

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Pedro, i'm really very impressed with the LZOS, I have a horrible feeling it's going to make me question the optical quality of most of the other scopes I own...

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Hi Mark, do you have the APM built 100mm f8? I have the little brother of that scope, the 480mm f6 with the LOMO triplet lens (no longer available, I believe). One thing I found that increases portability on mine is to remove the gigantic metal dew shield. Depending on what's attached to the back, that sometimes helps balance as well. I put the dew shield back on if I have some heavy stuff on the rear and need more weight on the front (for example, the enormous Baader Herschel wedge). I created my own light weight lens cover for when the dew shield was removed.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

I agree with your last comment Mark, as I may well be experiencing the same with my two 80mm scopes, where (without direct-comparisons as yet) may well prove your comment correct...

Triplets (as Pedro infers) certainly seem to improve the seeing of which I have two as the SW 80ED 'Esprit' and the Meade 127 Apo-Triplet (the latter not fitting in the Mini-obsy though.. :?

Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Douglas, yes, it's an APM build 100/800. Good idea about the dew shield, it certainly is substantial.