Geomagnetic Unrest 10th-11th December 2021

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Geomagnetic Unrest 10th-11th December 2021

Post by Carbon60 »

Here are my magnetometer data from overnight (10th-11th) showing geomagnetic unrest when Earth was sideswiped by a passing CME. Most of the mass passed by, missing Earth, but the little remaining carried enough of a punch to generate beautiful aurora and twitch magnetometers such as mine here in the UK.
20211211_Passing CME.jpg
20211211_Passing CME.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 518 times
This is a high resolution version (1 second cadence) which shows every bump and wiggle, more so compared with my usual standard 150 second cadence. I thought it might be interesting for you to see these details :)

Thanks for looking.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Geomagnetic Unrest 10th-11th December 2021

Post by Montana »

Interesting data Stuart :hamster: we got an aurora alert from Lancaster, I think it was on Friday night, then they retracted it as a mistake (or was this Thursday). I am glad you picked it up though as your equipment can see through the wind and rain :)

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Geomagnetic Unrest 10th-11th December 2021

Post by marktownley »

Nice record Stu! Fingers crossed for something over the Christmas / New Year week, I will have my 'dark' northern sky then...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!