frak G&G for H alfa

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

frak G&G for H alfa

Post by fedele »

Hi
I am looking for a grab&go refractor, around 80/90 mm, which at the same time is my main solar telescope with Quark Chromosphere. it must be compact, transportable.
The idea is to aim for FC76DCU or SD81S. So excellent quality but only 80 mm in diameter. Or a TS 90 f6 or 80 f 6 triplet to save money. All would be great all-purpose grab and go hunters' telescopes. My preference is for the Fc76DCU (500 euros of difference)
What would your choice be?
another possibility is to choose a simple achromatic for the sun only and a mak 100 for visual grab and go on moon and planets. which achromatic could I consider? Is it worth it to give up the quality of the first courses?
thank you

vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: frak G&G for H alfa

Post by vkx86 »

I don't have either of the scopes mentioned and not a H-alpha observer yet, but I would go Vixen in your case.
As much respect I have for Tak (I have a Mewlon-180C) I doubt that FC76DCU will show ground-breaking difference over Japanese-made Vixen.
Mak 100 will not offer any advantage over good 80mm ED doublet, IMHO.
BTW, you can also consider SW ED80 F/7.5 - overall it's a very solidly-performing frac, the specimen I have performs excellently on Moon, planets and WL solar.

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

No SW ED80 F/7. It has not sufficent back focus.

can you suggest me a short ACRHO, lihght, around f6 or f7, that is good for solar H Alfa? (nothing mopre that f7)

vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by vkx86 »

My SW ED80 F/7.5 has 135 mm back-focus and 120mm minimal focuser height from the end of steel tube.
If you outfit ED80 with Baader Steeltrack for Refractors you can yield 45-50 mm of additional back-focus.
ED80 + Baader Steeltrack for Refractors + adapter + mounting shoe cost few dozen euros less than Vixen SD81S at Telescope-Service.
I think that Baader focuser is of close/same quality and robustness as Feather-Touch ones.
I'm not a refractor junkie, but it looks to me that all these small achros come with weak focusers, which are worse than Synta's ED80 one (which is very adequate and serviceable, from my 7-yrs experience with it)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

fedele wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:25 pm can you suggest me a short ACRHO, lihght, around f6 or f7, that is good for solar H Alfa? (nothing mopre that f7)
I'm sure SVBony do a 80mmf7 frac that would be ok for Ha.

My SW ED80 f7.5 is lovely in Ha, it would be my suggestion also and make the backfocus.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!