Possible flare from the 2nd of February?

An archive of all the best images Solar Chat has to offer!
daniele_bonfiglio
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Possible flare from the 2nd of February?

Post by daniele_bonfiglio »

Dear all,
I think I was lucky enough to capture a significant flare for my first time.
I still have to post process the photos I took during almost one hour from 10.10 UT on the 2nd of February.
This is just a first processing from a two minutes interval around 10.20 UT when, according to the GONG H alpha images there was a flare on this active region, the 12939. The GOES X ray flux data also shows a peak on the same time.
In the next days I will post more pictures and hopefully a timelapse showing the flare.
My instrumentation is a Daystar Solar Scout DS 60/930 on a Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount. As a camera I use my Fujifilm X-T30 mirrorless. I do burtst of jpeg shots at around 10 FPS (I know this will sound ridiculously low to most of you but this is the best I can do right now and it's not so bad given the small diameter of my scope, and I prefer this to undersampled videos) and I correct them for field rotation with a home made script using the image magick engine. I stack the frames with Planetary System Stacker (1.5x drizzle to reach the optimal sampling), and process them with ImPPG and finally Photoshop.
Best Daniele
AR12939 at 10.20 UT
AR12939 at 10.20 UT
gruppo06_pss_f400_p46_b86_ap598_imppg_ps_crop.jpg (906.54 KiB) Viewed 756 times

Solar scopes: Daystar Solar Scout DS 60/930
80mm f6 achromatic refractor with Daystar Quark from the Solar Scout
Scope: Skywatcher Maksutov-Cassegrain 127/1500
Mount: Skywatcher AZ-GTi
Camera: Fujifilm X-T30
Instagram: @daniele.bonfiglio.astropics
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Possible flare from the 2nd of February?

Post by marktownley »

That came out nice Daniele. I image my full disks at 9fps.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Yes Daniele, you have very-well captured the flare, so well done.

Thanks vm
Terry

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

Nice catch!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Daniele :)

Alexandra

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

marktownley wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:48 pm That came out nice Daniele. I image my full disks at 9fps.
Hi Mark,
Interesting to know you can get away with only 9fps.

Do you know how to download SDO images automatically ? I am thinking of automating processes to show flares from the NASA SDO site. But it is tedious to download each image. Also it is difficult to get the images in sequence and to know which image to download as it is not in a regular pattern.

Does anyone done anything like that. I am thinking of cropping a section of the sun and then processing it to show a long time lapse of the flares/proms etc.

Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Daniele,

I was working out my focal reducer on my Quark at about the same time as you, and I think I got a flare as well but I have not had the time to process it properly, I don't think my 2nd Feb is supersaturated so may have just missed it. My images from 4th Feb do show a few with possible white outs and flares ! (also testing a focal reducer).

I don't know that you can affect sampling by drizzling, I never knew that. That could be the answer to some of my problems.

Maybe I will check out Planetary System Stacker (was that by the same guy who wrote Moon Panorama Maker ??).

Where are you based Daniele ? I have a Skywatcher EQ3 Pro mount, may be selling this in the future.

Best wishes,

Magnus

Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
daniele_bonfiglio
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by daniele_bonfiglio »

Boso36 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:25 pm Hi Daniele,

I was working out my focal reducer on my Quark at about the same time as you, and I think I got a flare as well but I have not had the time to process it properly, I don't think my 2nd Feb is supersaturated so may have just missed it. My images from 4th Feb do show a few with possible white outs and flares ! (also testing a focal reducer).

I don't know that you can affect sampling by drizzling, I never knew that. That could be the answer to some of my problems.

Maybe I will check out Planetary System Stacker (was that by the same guy who wrote Moon Panorama Maker ??).

Where are you based Daniele ? I have a Skywatcher EQ3 Pro mount, may be selling this in the future.

Best wishes,

Magnus
Hi Magnus, first of all sorry for the late reply!
Regarding the possible saturation of your images, I think that in the case of flares only a very localized portion of the image will be saturated because flares are usually rather localized in space.
Drizzling is just alignment and stacking on a sub-pixel level. It does not make miracles but if your setup is under-resolved (ie short focal length or large pixels in your sensor) it might help a bit.
Yes, Planetary System Stacker is from the same German guy who wrote Moon Panorama Maker. It gives results similar to other softwares like AutoStakkert or Registax, it is just that I like it more I guess.
I live in Montagnana, a nice town with well-preserved medieval walls close to Padova, Italy ;-) what about you?
Best, Daniele

Solar scopes: Daystar Solar Scout DS 60/930
80mm f6 achromatic refractor with Daystar Quark from the Solar Scout
Scope: Skywatcher Maksutov-Cassegrain 127/1500
Mount: Skywatcher AZ-GTi
Camera: Fujifilm X-T30
Instagram: @daniele.bonfiglio.astropics
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Daniele,
Thanks for replying to my query about PSS. I have also tried this and had trouble installing it on my windows 10 PC at first. It looks quite good, will experiment with it.
I think I did get some flares, but I was not looking for it so am not sure of the histogram at the time it was captured.

I was just wondering where you were based, nice to know we have an Italian based imager with all your sunny days.
I am in London, where I am lucky to get 12 or more sunny days to properly image (not just a few seconds between clouds).

Magnus