Frankenfocuser

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
BigCloud
The Sun?
The Sun?

Frankenfocuser

Post by BigCloud »

After having discovered that you don't really need an expensive refractor for HA solar imaging for use with the DayStar Quark, it was then time to look for a suitable, pre-loved scope. I was never comfortable with leaving my Esprit's out in the sun, another pro for solar imaging and maybe a tip for new comers like myself, no need for an expensive telescope. The Esprit 80 will still be used for full-disc mosaics but again, a cheap achromat doublet will work too and no worries about leaving it out in the sun for a couple of hours while you gather data for a video clip. The only catch really is the focuser, you can still use stock focusers with a bit of skill but an EAF will make it so much easier. With an EAF your focusing will be more accurate, no need to touch the scope and wait for the wobble to settle (hard to focus this way) and you can remote control with fine tuning and accuracy guaranteed. There are upgrade focusers out there that will fit some scopes but I used a decent quality focuser I already had with some mods.

Checking for back focus using a couple of eyepieces straight through on a DIY extension tube and also using a diagonal, there seems to be enough travel in the new/old focus body to work. This focuser was taken out of an old Dob I have, removed the flange and made the 3D parts in PETG, painted them. As you can see, the original scope tube has been extended with a 100 mm aluminium tube using a 3D printed T joiner and then connected the focuser to the other end of the ally tube with an adapter. Everything is mechanically fixed, M3 threaded into the metal parts and then 'pinned' into the 3D printed part. I have no doubt this will be strong. This new/old focuser body is made really well, no slop, Crayford design, CNC'd with 4 x roller bearings, for what I will be using it for, it is a vast improvement over the stock focuser for the 102/1000.

Final version of the Frankenscope will be painted and finished.

The EAF, it's working perfectly, happy days, just need the sun to show itself again :roll:
small3.jpg
small3.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
small2.jpg
small2.jpg (114.54 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
small1.jpg
small1.jpg (112.86 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
08AA8FF1-42F9-4D7C-AE98-69BA6CCC2B27.jpeg
08AA8FF1-42F9-4D7C-AE98-69BA6CCC2B27.jpeg (93.72 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
75A4CFAF-4436-411E-8383-187D2DBDA0E8.jpeg
75A4CFAF-4436-411E-8383-187D2DBDA0E8.jpeg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 1547 times

vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Frankenfocuser

Post by vkx86 »

It will not be completed until you make the shim between EAF mounting plate and aluminum extension tube and paint all black or white ;-)

BigCloud
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by BigCloud »

vkx86 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:09 pm It will not be completed until you make the shim between EAF mounting plate and aluminum extension tube and paint all black or white ;-)
Yep, today is Saturday so its happening!
Cheers,
Bill.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice mod! Thanks for sharing.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!