for JORDEN KONISKY re pvt email

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

for JORDEN KONISKY re pvt email

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hi Jorden,
Apologies, but your Email to me via SOlARCHAT got sent to my Internet Provider's SPAM box and not to my Email program due to security-measures in place.
That should now have been rectified for SOLARCHAT Emails.

Hi Jorden,
In reply to your question, normally I can take a single-frame capture of Ha and CaK to include their proms, simply by either adjusting the Ha Etalon and the capture-speed as required and depending on whether the Ha Double Stack is used, which for best Ha-proms is not the best for such...
+++
For Calcium-K proms, after making sure the focusing is adjusted correctly using the ZWO ASI178MM camera only whilst using the Sun's Limb edge with the Lunt 60mm CaK (non-PT) scope. No Barlow or Focal Reducer - will normally be used or needed.

Then taking a normal surface detail capture(s) of the Full Disk/FD, and then simply turn the camera's capture speed-UP slowly till the Full Disk turns white and not more. (IF YOU BLOW-OUT THE DISK - MORE THAN THAT, THE PROMS WILL DISAPPEAR.

Then looking around the FD edge carefully for FAINT-PROMS (preferably where they are known to be - using say an up-to-date/time SDO image for guidance and also to realise that the tilt of the scope, Blocking Filter angle and Camera rotation will most likely change the picture of the prom positions... (Bear in mind that from my Main Observatory - I have three scopes on the one-mount, with both the Lunt 60mm Ha and CaK scopes using exactly the same camera types in each and no Barlows or Focal Reducers either for Full Disk working - so easy for me to have seen any Ha proms for knowing where they will also be in CaK).

I use SharpCapture and can easily adjust the camera-speed setting from Surface features to Prominence detail by simply turning-up that speed -slowly until that all-white disk as required.

As for taking stacks of images for either CaK, Ha, WL or Sodium, for whatever reason including that the capture speeds for single-frames are very fast (a very few Ms with the ASI-178MM etc. and dependent on the sky conditions), so more often than not, just single-frames can produce as good an image as stacks. Obviously that must really be when the sky is very calm/not turbulent, which can be seen clearly on the computer screen by a wobbling image at the FD-edge. So then if turbulent-seeing - stacking will deal with aligning the detail.

In reality, I have found that so-often single-frame captures can be as good as stacks - for all intents and purposes.
Obviously when using Barlows for close-up's, then the degree of "wobbling" will be enhanced considerably - so the need for stacking is much more of a requirement too...

Although from my Main Observatory, no imaging has taken place since around August'21 and not before May'20 (posted on SC) due to the construction of the Mini-Obsy and other factors.
But if you look back through the SolarChat Archive posts from "EGRAY OBSERVATORY" as well as the SPOD Archive page, you may well find some Cak-proms posted there from me and often showing the techie-stuff...

CaK proms will not require the use of IMPPG, as IMPPG is primarily in my case for improving surface-detail (Granulation etc.), but others may use it for their own other-purposes.

Equally for Ha-prominence captures IMPPG will also not likely improve prominences. In fact for either Ha and CaK-proms, post processing programs such as PhotoShop/GIMP or PaintShoPro-which I use, can best be used to improve GAMMA/Brightness/Contrast/Sharpening/Colouring-adjustment etc etc... Also if the captured-image is well-sharp, then Cropping the target of interest can not only save memory for that image, but also expand it to effectively show more detail with that enlarged-image after Cropping.

Yes indeed AutoStakkert is an ideal program to use for stacking and far easier than Registax for producing Solar captures.

I have never tried with IMPPG " then stack in Autostkkert, sharpen the surface with IMPPG and then bring out the proms with the IMPPG curve feature and finish off with PS. " - so I don't know whether that might work with your suggested method albeit with CaK proms and the all white FD, I can't see that would work for any benefit as proms are so different from Surface detail...
I'll look into that more as when I can get some Main Obsy captures...

The attached SDO image show a typical AIA 304 image for realising what (if any) proms might be captured in Calcium-K (dependent on the proms own temperature). Othere images show various examples taken on the same day - earlier...

Thanks for your eMail and look forward to seeing your eventual results about this part of Solar imaging.

Terry
=====

" Terry,
Jordan here to follow up on our recent exchange on that Zoom meeting
thread. As I understood your posting yesterday, you capture CaK proms by
capturing multitude SINGLE frames taken at several exposures. You then
process the set of SINGLE frames. Thus, no stacking before IMPPG. You do
not capture as multiple videos. Do I have this right?

Do you do the same for Ha proms? For Ha proms I jack up the exposure to
search out prom regions then back down for a good surface image and then
capture a 500 frame or so video. I then stack in Autostkkert, sharpen the
surface with IMPPG and then bring out the proms with the IMPPG curve
feature and finish off with PS. I would think that the same scheme would
work for CaK proms. What do you think?

All the best,

Jordan Konisky
17/02/22 22:55
Attachments
2021-03-30 1058z AS_f100_g2_ap1_conv.jpg
2021-03-30 1058z AS_f100_g2_ap1_conv.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
2021-03-30 1019Z CAK PROM-image-2.jpg
2021-03-30 1019Z CAK PROM-image-2.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
2021-03-30 1019Z CAK PROM-image.jpg
2021-03-30 1019Z CAK PROM-image.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
2021-03-30 0944z Cal-K Capture_00001.jpg
2021-03-30 0944z Cal-K Capture_00001.jpg (500.54 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
2020-03-30 1054z Ha-proms Capture_00002-GAMMA.jpg
2020-03-30 1054z Ha-proms Capture_00002-GAMMA.jpg (197.56 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
30-3-2021 SDO - PROM positions latest_512_0304.jpg
30-3-2021 SDO - PROM positions latest_512_0304.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
30-3-2021 1119z Cal-K Prom12_19_17_AS_f90_g2_ap2_conv.jpg
30-3-2021 1119z Cal-K Prom12_19_17_AS_f90_g2_ap2_conv.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
12_19_17_AS_f90_g2_ap2_conv.jpg
12_19_17_AS_f90_g2_ap2_conv.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Re: for JORDEN KONISKY re pvt email

Thanks for looking Rainer (from the other-side)..

Terry

Jordan Konisky
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Jordan Konisky »

Terry,

I so appreciate your taking the time to respond to my email in such detail. It is just loaded with information. I am looking forward to the end of winter so that I can put your suggestions into practice and post the results on SolarChatForum. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

All the best,

Jordan

Jordan -
SkyWatcher ED100 Refractor with Diamond Steeltrack Crawford Focuser
Celestron CG4 Equatorial Mount
Daystar Quark H-Alpha Chromosphere
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter Module
Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
ZWO ASI174MM, ZWOASI1600MM Cameras
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

You are most welcome Jorden and hope to see your results on SOLARCHAT - to be better than mine, as I haven't had many chances to better those shown here..

Best Wishes
Terry