The Quark is here, more questions

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: The Quark is here, more questions

Post by TareqPhoto »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:00 pm for the last part of your last post, only say with an 80mm refractor - you might need to stop the aperture down to say 50mm - if the particular camera requires.

Cut-out 40 / 50 / 60 mm APERTURE F-STOPPERS and try them. (They may not even be necessary in your location, but trial and error is the way forward)...

Even most ordinary cameras/DSLR's etc., automatically stop-down/F-stop on request or when the light is too-much for its' sensor and dependent on the shutter-speed/ISO Rating for best capture...
I already said that i stopped down the scope, it came with that cap where it has another center hole, i didn't know what is that used for, but later on i found out that it is to stop down the scope, so i assume it will stop the scope to 60mm F/10, i really don't know, but is that F/10 enough with camera like ASI174MM? if i had ASI178MM then i can try that, and my ASI290MM is cutting the sun without full disc.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi again,

Sorry to keep asking so much and commenting a lot, i really like to learn a lot and also in so much rush :lol:

So as long my Quark is designed to be used with Refractors or SCT or Mak of F/15 and slower, then i really think about putting my Mak into use for it, all what i need is just frontal ERF, the scope is 7" [180mm], so i assume the ERF will be and so expensive, so i want to ask, is there any brand that can make any safe front ERF but at cheaper and reasonable prices?

I want to use the Mak to go longer focal length so i can image something like spots very much close up, i was thinking about buying a larger refractor such as 120mm, and i still need ERF as internal filter maybe, could be cheaper, but i don't want to add more scope now while i am still planning to add scopes for another things, and if it is possible with the Mak then maybe getting ERF will do the job, but i can't depend on the cost really, i hardly bought this Quark and i am broke and trying to recover, but i won't recover as i will buy more in future, so i have either buying larger refractor, or ERF for my Mak, If you have another idea please let me know.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Finally Tareq,
Rather than going round and round in circles. :girl:

Just try the Ha Quark into a an 80mm refractor with an ERF as advised by the manufacturer and with initially any Eye Piece of say 20mm and enjoy the view.

Then try a camera in place of the Eye piece and then snap away... :hamster:

Quite simple.
Terry :bow

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:20 pm Finally Tareq,
Rather than going round and round in circles. :girl:

Just try the Ha Quark into a an 80mm refractor with an ERF as advised by the manufacturer and with initially any Eye Piece of say 20mm and enjoy the view.

Then try a camera in place of the Eye piece and then snap away... :hamster:

Quite simple.
Terry :bow
Terry,

What you are saying just consider it done if i am still alive, i won't do that until i buy things first, but i only try to jump higher so later in far future when i am ready i can go with what i get as an answer, it all depends on the budget, if suddenly i bought things earlier and got budget for it i better be ready now so i don't wait answers or going in circles, i asked about Quark or searched about solar maybe last year, so only now i started, same if i want something new later in 5months to 1 year i start now.

Thanks Terry,
Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

I saw this filter, do you think this is worthy over for example UV/IR cut filter?

https://player-one-astronomy.com/produc ... omosphere/

It is wider than Red filter itself as i can see, so i don't know if i better go with something else like a Red filter if i can find cheap one or Ha narrowbanding one.

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

Hello Tareq,
This is just a red filter, have a look there :
https://www.solarchatforum.com/viewtopi ... 10&t=34878

This beeing said, it is much better to use a red filter than an UV/IR-cut filter for this purpose. Any red filter such as Astronomik, Baader, ZWO would do the same job.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

christian viladrich wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:47 pm Hello Tareq,

This beeing said, it is much better to use a red filter than an UV/IR-cut filter for this purpose. Any red filter such as Astronomik, Baader, ZWO would do the same job.
Ok, so they rebranded a red filter and a continuum filter to their own model name after all, well, i can't buy a red filter alone from those brands you mentioned, and i am not interested in to buy a set only to use the red filter, i already have 2 sets i am using for other applications or targets of imaging.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

I got a budget and i want to buy a good filter for the Quark but cheap one less than $100 if possible, what would it be?

This above from Player One is just $49, i can afford that, is it a good one or thee is something better and not expensive?

I checked out one site i order form a lot to see if they have Baader Ha 35nm, but it is out of stock and sounds it is also out of production [discontinued], i don't know another cheap Ha filter unless it is 7nm or 12nm, but are those blocking some Ha band that is needed for Solar Ha?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Tareq,

Aim to get a 2" filter rather than a 1.25", you can then mount it higher in the optical path which is preferable.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:28 am Hi Tareq,

Aim to get a 2" filter rather than a 1.25", you can then mount it higher in the optical path which is preferable.
What do you by mean higher in the optical path? I mean where exactly?

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:58 pm

Ok, so they rebranded a red filter and a continuum filter to their own model name after all, well, i can't buy a red filter alone from those brands you mentioned, and i am not interested in to buy a set only to use the red filter, i already have 2 sets i am using for other applications or targets of imaging.
Just for the record, you can buy Baader R filter separatly :
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/f ... mized.html

You can do the same with Astronomik. Just send them a message. I've bought two blue 50 mm filters and one L 50 mm filter from them.

I have not checked with ZWO.

Anyway, my point was that there was nothing special about this filter. It is only a red filter.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

christian viladrich wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:21 pm
TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:58 pm

Just for the record, you can buy Baader R filter separatly :
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/f ... mized.html

You can do the same with Astronomik. Just send them a message. I've bought two blue 50 mm filters and one L 50 mm filter from them.

I have not checked with ZWO.

Anyway, my point was that there was nothing special about this filter. It is only a red filter.
Well, you and Mark never make it easier for me at all.

First, Mark said to aim for 2", which means i have to ignore/pass this filter because it is 1.25" only.

Second, you, saying there was nothing special, yes true, but the price is really special, that Baader filter even 1.25" is nearly twice the price of this Player One filter, so you and Mark both are pushing me to buy something more expensive after all, and i have many other items i want to buy also.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok, please if you read this thread, please, give you your suggestion or recommendation quickly so i can order quickly, i have the budget and other items are waiting to be ordered, only left this filter for the Quark, if i buy 2" version somewhere then i must use a 2" diagonal, i will test the cheap one i have and can't order a new better one, if i buy 1.25" then i can just place it directly to the Quark, so i have to decide quickly which path i want to go.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok, i ended up and ordered the UV/IR cut filter 2", very cheap one, after all i feel that no matter what filter i will buy as ERF they all will do the job just fine, and i looked at some Quark Ha results around and i see the majority are using either UV/IR cut filter or Baader D-ERF, so i went with the cheaper option here.

Thank you very much

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

What a pity!

I bought accessories to be used with my ST80 so i can start using my Quark, but while i was trying to install i damaged the focuser of ST80, now i can't fix it, and also i don't know where i lost my previous stock focus single speed if i should use that, now sounds i am stuck, maybe i will ask someone in the world to make me the aperture mask for my 90mm triplet then, i can't keep spending more for my ST80, and i won't risk playing with my other scopes unless i buy a motor, so i think i have to find a solution very soon, the accessories is nice.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

What have you done to the focuser? post some pics.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:25 am What have you done to the focuser? post some pics.
Here you can see what i did, sounds i can't return it back to its original condition or case, mainly that small metal piece with the black one, they always fallen out while i try, and i am not sure i placed that coupler correctly or not, the shaft of the focuser was thicker than the motor hole, this is a replacement focuser i used as i wanted to replace the stock single speed focuser of the scope.
_DSC5345.jpg
_DSC5345.jpg (542.66 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
_DSC5344.jpg
_DSC5344.jpg (366.29 KiB) Viewed 2833 times

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

And the worse thing is, that the brackets can't be mounted on the back of the focuser as well, so it sounds the focuser isn't compatible, means i have to find the older original focuser and use that instead of this replacement one, otherwise i have to find a correct L bracket so i can mount it on this focuser and be done with it.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok, sounds i will wait forever if i can't fix my scope, in this case the next scope i can try to use with the Quark is my 90mm triplet, i don't know how good it is compared to a doublet ED or achromatic refractor, but i have to give it a try, i just have to quickly try to figure out how to use the motorized focuser that i am using with it.

I can't stop down, i won't do those DIY things and no 3D printed ones, so does using a filter UV/IR cut enough with this scope? And if i use a focal extender, is that making any issue to the Quark?

My Quark version is the "combo", which is without a Barlow effect.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Your 90mm triplet will be fine with the Quark, and yes, use the UV/IR cut filter as an ERF.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

TareqPhoto wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:02 am
marktownley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:25 am What have you done to the focuser? post some pics.
Here you can see what i did, sounds i can't return it back to its original condition or case, mainly that small metal piece with the black one, they always fallen out while i try, and i am not sure i placed that coupler correctly or not, the shaft of the focuser was thicker than the motor hole, this is a replacement focuser i used as i wanted to replace the stock single speed focuser of the scope.

_DSC5345.jpg

_DSC5344.jpg
What is missing to stop you reassemble it?

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:20 am Your 90mm triplet will be fine with the Quark, and yes, use the UV/IR cut filter as an ERF.
Ok, cool

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:21 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:02 am

_DSC5345.jpg

_DSC5344.jpg
What is missing to stop you reassemble it?
It is no longer working like before, i managed to place the focuser back on the scope, but it sounds that it doesn't move smooth or precise at all, and i have to release the coarse knob of the focuser the single speed one, in general the focuser is no longer good as before, and it was my mistake trying to place the motor on it and the bracket isn't compatible, so the whole focuser is wrong, i have to replace it and go back to the old stock focuser if i can find it.

With 90mm it is already connected to a motor, i don't know if i can use it manually from computer or it will focus automatically, i don't know if the motor is able to focus on any target the scope is pointed at, i thought it is for the stars and planets only.

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

Our moneys are all good!

A Class Action!!!

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

fedele wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:01 pm Our moneys are all good!

A Class Action!!!
:lol: