Daystar FLAT CAP, yay or nay???

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Daystar FLAT CAP, yay or nay???

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi all,

I came across this as i was thinking about how to remove or fix the dust bunnies problems and maybe more such as Newt rings and vignetting, i have this for DSO imaging from another brand and way much cheaper, so i don't know if this is worth it or i should just use any flat cap as long it can blur the light?

https://daystarfilters.com/FlatCap/Index.shtml

I have to decide which size as i am not yet fixed all the scopes i will buy, but ST80 is almost one main scope i am using now so i will get one for this if recommended, and something else later when i decide on a scope, but is this one is really worth it with that much price?

I know cleaning my glasses and optics is one solution, but that is not guaranteed 100% to have zero dust, and i mentioned another issues, i hate to deal with those manually with cleaning all the time, i am sure even seconds of exposing those glasses will make them facing whatever such as dust, even after full cleaning, so i want to have additional solution in cases where i am not doing cleaning good enough or not in mood to do so before imaging.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Daystar FLAT CAP, yay or nay???

Post by Montana »

Use a plastic bag or cling film, it costs nothing and does exactly the same thing (as I showed you before).

Alexandra

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:39 pm Use a plastic bag or cling film, it costs nothing and does exactly the same thing (as I showed you before).

Alexandra
Honestly speaking, the ones i have is exactly same as those papers sold in bookshops for using it to copy drawings and such, it just not fully transparent and it blurs things behind it, but i want something to fit or place without using kind of tapes or clips or cut, i am not good at all in making rings and adapters, but your answer is just showing me that this Daystar is just pricey unnecessary then.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

No!

Just clean the camera chip! 90% of the time a dust blower, the other 10% of the time I use a cleaning wipe kit that is used for DSLRs etc.

Daystar flat cap is just an expensive un-necessary, just use cling film (or local variant) or tilt the camera if newtons rings are an issue.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:10 pm No!

Just clean the camera chip! 90% of the time a dust blower, the other 10% of the time I use a cleaning wipe kit that is used for DSLRs etc.

Daystar flat cap is just an expensive un-necessary, just use cling film (or local variant) or tilt the camera if newtons rings are an issue.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Your way of fixing things are like so straightforward and maybe very simple than it should be.

I already said if i can clean most of it, if all of it then fine, but i really hate to keep opening the camera from adapters to clean the window all the time, i really prefer to use a flat thing and deal with it by processing than i keep cleaning, the air blower itself sometimes isn't helping, i saw few who mentioned that the blower didn't clean even 80% of the sensor or glass surface or lens, and using wipes that is also paying money to keep buying them, we don't have that in my country for glasses and optics, so order them online whenever they finish isn't any less spending than having flat panels and caps, also the site mentioned vignetting, i don't see that yet, but if yes, how that can be fixed then? tilt? how can i tilt the camera without tilting adapter for example, and tilt because of Newt rings only or something else?

Sorry for my comment, i only want to learn, sometimes what people advise as a free or DIY solutions can be nice but sometimes it doesn't fix everything, for example i did use air blower for the second time i imaged with the wedge but no wipes, it didn't remove 90%, to me it removed only 40-50%, i even thought about to use a smooth cotton cloth to wipe but i assumed that will make it even worse, so i will get wipes somehow, but if i end up keep blowing airs and wiping all the time then i am sorry, i don't like this way myself, for my DSO i always place flat panels and it take care of everything, i can't imaging i keep cleaning my gear for 4 years and still not perfect cleaning.

Petrus
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Petrus »

I own a few Daystar Flat Caps, and I am very happy to use them. I have such persistent dust bunnies, but thanks to flat caps, they are no issue for imaging, and making solar flat is done quickly. They really made my hobby more relaxing and fun, so investment for such a reason was justified. I have no affiliation with Daystar.

I learned that even if a flat cap does not fit into a dew shield with a bigger aperture, it can be attached against a dew shield with tape. It takes only a moment when you image the flat, this way I was able to use with 80ED flat cap I normally would use with Lunt60.

For my bigger aperture telescopes, I plan to give another attempt for the cereal bag approach or other DIY options this summer.

~ Petrus ~

Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/people/194757663@N08/

LS80THa DSII - Calcium II K module 12mm - Lunt Herschel wedge 1.25" - Quark Chromosphere - Solarscout Quark - Sol'Ex
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Tareq.

Try here if you want to find out more about solutions for newtons rings

https://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.com/ ... rings.html

Mark

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Jordan Konisky
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Jordan Konisky »

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have been very satisfied with the DayStar Flat Filter. So easy to slip the filter onto the front of my refractor and plenty of room on the backside to add a cardboard mask. Then just jack up the exposure to an unfiltered histogram profile and capture the flat image(s). Yeah more expensive that a cling bag, but after spending more than a few thousand dollars for my Ha, CaK and Herschel wedge setups, spending an additional $68 for trying out the DS Flat Filter did not deter me. But as Mark has pointed out, you need to keep that sensor clean.

Jordan

Jordan -
SkyWatcher ED100 Refractor with Diamond Steeltrack Crawford Focuser
Celestron CG4 Equatorial Mount
Daystar Quark H-Alpha Chromosphere
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter Module
Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
ZWO ASI174MM, ZWOASI1600MM Cameras
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Jordan,

I've no doubt if I had a Daystar Flat Cap I would be happy - it does what it says on the tin! If the impulse catches me one day I may buy one :lol: wouldn't be the first time :lol:

Mark

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

SassySun wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:16 pm I own a few Daystar Flat Caps, and I am very happy to use them. I have such persistent dust bunnies, but thanks to flat caps, they are no issue for imaging, and making solar flat is done quickly. They really made my hobby more relaxing and fun, so investment for such a reason was justified. I have no affiliation with Daystar.

I learned that even if a flat cap does not fit into a dew shield with a bigger aperture, it can be attached against a dew shield with tape. It takes only a moment when you image the flat, this way I was able to use with 80ED flat cap I normally would use with Lunt60.

For my bigger aperture telescopes, I plan to give another attempt for the cereal bag approach or other DIY options this summer.
I have flat caps for like most my scopes except my Mak and ST80, so i am thinking about buying one for ST80, but i don't know if i should get that Daystar one or the cheaper one, i believe that they are doing the same job, so i will go with cheaper, but i asked to see maybe there are things beyond one being cheaper, could be the quality of material or strong coating or anything, if no differences even in quality then i better go with cheaper, and it is really so cheap that it doesn't matter or affect my budget really [$20-40 per flat cap according to size].

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:18 pm Hi Tareq.

Try here if you want to find out more about solutions for newtons rings

https://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.com/ ... rings.html

Mark
Great, thank you Mark

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Jordan Konisky wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:28 pm I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have been very satisfied with the DayStar Flat Filter. So easy to slip the filter onto the front of my refractor and plenty of room on the backside to add a cardboard mask. Then just jack up the exposure to an unfiltered histogram profile and capture the flat image(s). Yeah more expensive that a cling bag, but after spending more than a few thousand dollars for my Ha, CaK and Herschel wedge setups, spending an additional $68 for trying out the DS Flat Filter did not deter me. But as Mark has pointed out, you need to keep that sensor clean.

Jordan
I will, no point to make sensors dirty and more dirtier and just let the flat cap clean it for me, but i know that no matter how much i clean it is still having something, and i am a very lazy person to keep cleaning the sensor like 90-100%, me placing a flat cap and taking flats is more easier and effective than cleaning sensors day and night, and i also mentioned that not only dust but other things, so people only keep focusing on the dust reason and ignore other reasons, and i know there are times i may feel that the flat cap didn't work, but i know it is because my mistake and not the flat cap.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:32 pm Hi Jordan,

I've no doubt if I had a Daystar Flat Cap I would be happy - it does what it says on the tin! If the impulse catches me one day I may buy one :lol: wouldn't be the first time :lol:

Mark
And there are cheaper flat caps, actually i ordered i think 4 or 5 of them to use for me DSO scopes, it will not affect at all to add one for ST80 which is small and cheap and then never look back, and my environment is a very dusty environment, so i can assume the sensor and anything else will get dirty with dust and anything else anyway, i can't imagine how many times i will keep cleaning.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Why dont you try them with solar and report back how you get on then...

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:39 pm Why dont you try them with solar and report back how you get on then...
Of course i will do that, and while i am doing it i asked about Daystar flat cap only to see if some did tried it and have any experience with it, only to learn, not necessary to buy it for sure.

SolarMathmo
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by SolarMathmo »

Just a postscript to this. I’d been shooting with an IMX178 mono chip and when I tried a flat cap on my small refractor using the Sharpcap flat tool it killed the sensor pattern noise dead first time. I’d been thinking that these caps were indeed a waste of money but having had variable outcomes with cling film and cereal bags (which certainly did manage dust bunnies just fine) I’m happy with my flat cap. I’m certainly not saying that the 178 pattern can’t be killed by other means, but the flat cap just worked. Maybe it’s the exposure guidance? The sensor pattern was clear on the flats and was cancelled on the .SER output. I’m a newbie to solar and I’m not suggesting “it worked for me” is proper evidence, but easily managing the issues with my copy of the 178, plus the convenience is benefit enough.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

SolarMathmo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:30 am Just a postscript to this. I’d been shooting with an IMX178 mono chip and when I tried a flat cap on my small refractor using the Sharpcap flat tool it killed the sensor pattern noise dead first time. I’d been thinking that these caps were indeed a waste of money but having had variable outcomes with cling film and cereal bags (which certainly did manage dust bunnies just fine) I’m happy with my flat cap. I’m certainly not saying that the 178 pattern can’t be killed by other means, but the flat cap just worked. Maybe it’s the exposure guidance? The sensor pattern was clear on the flats and was cancelled on the .SER output. I’m a newbie to solar and I’m not suggesting “it worked for me” is proper evidence, but easily managing the issues with my copy of the 178, plus the convenience is benefit enough.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info