New scope suggestion, a Mak or a Refr?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

New scope suggestion, a Mak or a Refr?

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi again,

I can't stop thinking about another scope to buy later in future to be used for solar, and i have to wait and save for it, so i ended up with two choices mainly and i feel both can be ok with something added like ERF for sure, so which one do you prefer?

A Mak 127

An Achromatic refr 127

Both are at same price, and both are coming with accessories like diagonal and 26mm Plossl and red dot finder i believe, so that is even a bonus for me, i know all of you will see just use what you have now, yes, i have ST80 which is i am using for sure, but i am not just using it sitting searching shopping and when i have a budget i ignore it, when i can buy it in future i won't hesitate, but i still have time for that, so that is why i asked about it now to get ready, the scopes are cheap so i can buy them later but maybe i will delay as the summer is coming and i won't do solar, if i wait until October/November i can't just use ST80 and not buy anything else after that time waiting.

vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: New scope suggestion, a Mak or a Refr?

Post by vkx86 »

I would go with Achro 127mm. Should be perfect scope for all-things Solar.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

vkx86 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:02 pm I would go with Achro 127mm. Should be perfect scope for all-things Solar.
And so do the Mak, you can't just choose one and ditch the other assuming one is only better, the Mak can be used for planetary too, i am sure both are great, i saw few from this and that, both are capable really, but i have to choose one, the Mak is about 3.5kg while the Achro 127 is twice of that weight, the Achro can be used right away without waiting thermal thing, so each also has pros and cons.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Refractor

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
JochenM
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by JochenM »

For solar work, the refractor all the way.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Nice, so it is decided then, a refractor, thank you very much

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok, let's continue.

The aperture i want to buy has two models or versions, one is fast (F/5) and one is slow (~ F/9.5), so which one i should choose?

You said i stop down, i will try to make one of those aperture reducer to be used, but do people really always use those to stop down for any kind of images with non solar scopes?

I also have Powermate 2x and 5x so i can use those, and TeleVue 3x, my Quark as i said doesn't have a Barlow value, i can add that by myself, so does having a Barlow/focal extender will also be a factor of the scope choice? F/5 i can use it for anything else rather than Solar, while F/9 it will be mainly for solar and planetary anyway, my ST80 is f/5 and i stop it down to F/10 i think, with f/9 if i stop it down what it will be, f/15 for example?

Pity i need to buy something first so i can test my Ha and K-Line filter imaging then i can decide which version, but until i can get the budget and order those items i am asking to see what you are thinking or suggesting, i have long time to decide really.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I would choose the refractor. No central obstruction. I would choose the slower scope. I have an F 9.8 102mm achromat and it does wonderfully! In my opinion the longer focal length achros give better images on average than their shorter focal length counterparts. I read somewhere that it's easier to manufacture a good long FL lens or mirror than a short one. If used in WL without a narrowband eyepiece ( 540nm, etc ) filter the longer focal length has less chromatic aberration too!!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:43 am I would choose the refractor. No central obstruction. I would choose the slower scope. I have an F 9.8 102mm achromat and it does wonderfully! In my opinion the longer focal length achros give better images on average than their shorter focal length counterparts. I read somewhere that it's easier to manufacture a good long FL lens or mirror than a short one. If used in WL without a narrowband eyepiece ( 540nm, etc ) filter the longer focal length has less chromatic aberration too!!

James
Yes, but i did mentioned a Barlow, and i have the best quality of focal extender as 2x and 5x, so with longer FL and slower i can use 2x, but with faster shorter FL i can use 5x, and i thought a CA with solar is almost neglected, we are shooting Ha and CaK or K-Line, means we are definitely out of CA.

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
Yes with a narrowband filter CA isn't usually an issue. I feel though on average you will get a better objective on a longer fl scope. Also they may a be a bit more forgiving if the collimation is a bit off.

My ST90 was a short focus refractor and my C102 is a fairly long focus one. The C102 absolutely stomps the ST90!! Both are Synta made Taiwanese/Chinese scopes.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:08 pm The aperture i want to buy has two models or versions, one is fast (F/5) and one is slow (~ F/9.5), so which one i should choose?
The F9.5

I would recommend a Bresser 127/1200 - this is excellent at CaK wavelengths for a bargain price!

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

As explained by James, a larger f-ratio is better. This is because spherical aberration is lower, and also coma. Focusing will be easier too (you need a very accurate focuser when you use a small f-ratio).

As said by others, and for aperture < 150 mm, a refractor is better because :
- no central obstruction : this does make a difference in image contrast,
- stability of collimation,
- large diffraction limited field,
- you can use a solar film, or better a solar wedge for white light imaging,
- you can use it on Ca K with a small sub-aperture blue ERF filter,
- - you can use it on Ha with a small sub-aperture red ERF filter.

Mark advice is excelent :-) It is better to stay on proven solutions.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Yep. I prefer F8 or higher in general. Apochromats if shorter. For the money I love my F9.8 Celestron!!

JP

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:20 am Tareq,
Yes with a narrowband filter CA isn't usually an issue. I feel though on average you will get a better objective on a longer fl scope. Also they may a be a bit more forgiving if the collimation is a bit off.

My ST90 was a short focus refractor and my C102 is a fairly long focus one. The C102 absolutely stomps the ST90!! Both are Synta made Taiwanese/Chinese scopes.

James
Hi again James,

Well, the scope i am thinking about is the achromatic 120mm or 127mm, both have that two different speed or focal ratio, so with both i am already at long FL, say 600mm vs. 1200mm or around that.

Ok, in all cases, the slower version is cheaper, but much longer length scope, but that should be any issue for me, i have 6" and 8" Newt and i saw how big it can go going larger anyway, and my mount can handle that 120/127 any version just fine.

I will buy a white model of scope, as that can help to reflect some of the sun light so it won't heat the scope that fast anyway, but i really wish if the scope is coming with that kind of scope cap same as my ST80, it has a hole to reducer the scope aperture rather than i do make with cardboards which i don't like, wish if i can have a 3D printer to make one from plastic, or if i can find a great kind of cover somehow from plastic to make a hole, but i think i will try the difficult way and visit a carpenter and see if he can made a cap from a wood with a center hole, i hate using boxes and cardboard to make things for my scopes, many here and there will do, but not me.

Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:12 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:08 pm The aperture i want to buy has two models or versions, one is fast (F/5) and one is slow (~ F/9.5), so which one i should choose?
The F9.5

I would recommend a Bresser 127/1200 - this is excellent at CaK wavelengths for a bargain price!
Oh Mark, are you a wizard or kind of?!!! :lol: You did read my mind, that is exactly the model in my head/plan, and it is white

Not only CaK but also Ha with the Quark, i don't have CaK yet but only the NUV [Near UV] K-Line filter as you already mentioned it is not CaK, i hope the scope if i get it can give me enough joy for some closeup of the sun with those two bands.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
In time I may get a CR6 F8 refractor for high resolution white light. The TOA130 is my ultimate goal but I'll have to pay some stuff off first. I am in no hurry, the C102 does great!

I prefer a white scope for solar too. My C102 is black.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

christian viladrich wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:14 am As explained by James, a larger f-ratio is better. This is because spherical aberration is lower, and also coma. Focusing will be easier too (you need a very accurate focuser when you use a small f-ratio).

As said by others, and for aperture < 150 mm, a refractor is better because :
- no central obstruction : this does make a difference in image contrast,
- stability of collimation,
- large diffraction limited field,
- you can use a solar film, or better a solar wedge for white light imaging,
- you can use it on Ca K with a small sub-aperture blue ERF filter,
- - you can use it on Ha with a small sub-aperture red ERF filter.

Mark advice is excelent :-) It is better to stay on proven solutions.
I got the point, so i decided i will go with the refractor, i can see why all dedicated solar telescopes are in a refractor type anyway or that what i believe, so there is a purpose, and now your points also got in my head, i don't need to make it any more complicated, so simply a refr and never look back.

Thank you

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:44 pm Tareq,
In time I may get a CR6 F8 refractor for high resolution white light. The TOA130 is my ultimate goal but I'll have to pay some stuff off first. I am in no hurry, the C102 does great!

I prefer a white scope for solar too. My C102 is black.

James
James,

I know that Takahashi is one of few high end dream brands to buy from, i myself was dreaming about getting FSQ-106 because that time i was only thinking about DSO imaging, less than planetary, and no solar at all, but my life went nuts and i felt like my dreams are collapsing so i no longer hold my plans on high end, because if i was still holding that hopes or dreams as i said before then i won't get any more items and i may never get into solar until today, so i reached to a point where is should accept my reality and situations that a high end isn't really the best plan or dream, instead i should have multiple choices to cover this anyway, and the more i looked at results from different scopes the more i realized that it is not only about optics quality but i also pay for a brand name and design quality, then i realized that i should really give chances to cheap scopes or cameras otherwise i will always live waiting and saving and get nothing in return or i miss a lot.

I think if i buy something like 120 or maybe in far future something like 150mm not from a high end brand i can do a lot in solar, people then will not care about which model or name i am suing as long i have results good enough, even here in this site, i remember when i started and i asked i got many answers about going with Lunt, and Lunt is another high end name into solar, so i decided if all my equipment for any kind of imaging has to be a high end even a solar then i will stop doing astronomy at all, so i got Antlia wedge first and then the Quark going into entry level or the poor man option.

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
I'll probably soon get an Antlia wide-band Calcium K-Line wedge myself. I can see from your results that it will do well on the faculae making them visible across the disc better than what I can see in white light. I think we can use the K-line wedge to it's fullest potential if we try. I'll get a Lunt CaK wedge as soon as money allows.

Many of our finest imagers use F8 or longer achromats. Marty Wise is one example.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:04 pm Tareq,
I'll probably soon get an Antlia wide-band Calcium K-Line wedge myself. I can see from your results that it will do well on the faculae making them visible across the disc better than what I can see in white light. I think we can use the K-line wedge to it's fullest potential if we try. I'll get a Lunt CaK wedge as soon as money allows.

Many of our finest imagers use F8 or longer achromats. Marty Wise is one example.

James
James,

I will tell you the big surprise, i bought the Antlia wedge not for faculae, but only that violet/bluish/purple color i thought it will make, and i saw that slight texture details on the result that i didn't see with just a while light without any filter only front film one or even with the continuum, but from the first time i used it i saw that faculae you mentioned, i was blow away really, and as i said, i didn't use any great setup or settings to show it better, so i assume that why can't i give it more push and punch, it might do well, i also assume me and all other Antlia wedge users didn't add more to show the best it can do, who knows, maybe there are some hidden things we still didn't find, and i am now going to add more tools to help me bring some hidden to surface not only with the CaK wedge but also with Quark Ha i've got, i can't just dump those both right away and suddenly i buy Lung Ha and CaK.

My Wedge CaK results were with ST80 stopped down to maybe F10 i don't know, and i used ASI174MM, from my understanding, this combo isn't best for sampling, so maybe that is why i didn't get great results yet, and the focusing was off too, so with all those i can't just blame or judge my tools yet, even if they are not a match to high end ones, it is just nice for me to have fun in solar with affordable tools, until as you said when the money allows.

Someone on another forum sent me a private message regarding Antlia Wedge, his image was also lack of some punches and details, but it was clear he got something which is nice, happy to find someone else to share with me, and hopefully me and him can get much further with the Antlia wedge, who knows, we might get some surprises later, and i feel there are still rooms for improvements, maybe one day we can double stack it, or we might find a better much much more narrower than what we have for CaK-line one, we have just to wait and use what we have and see what we might find in future.

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
The Antlia wedge is an fact a CaK wedge but a more broadband one. I use " K-line " instead of " CaK " only to differentiate them from their ultra-narrowband cousins. All are Calcium K-Line filters. One is gonna see more CaK lower chromosphere features than photosphere feature with the narrower bandwidth filters but that does not mean the wider bandwidth ones are useless. Push that Antlia filter to it's limits and it just might surprise you! And not everyone can spend 1,100+ for a CaK filter! I am encouraging you to use the Antlia wedge, not to be disappointed in it!

Using the ST80 stopped down should improve it's performance in white light or CaK!

If you find any good pictures taken through the Antlia wedge, post them. I'm interested.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:26 am Tareq,
The Antlia wedge is an fact a CaK wedge but a more broadband one. I use " K-line " instead of " CaK " only to differentiate them from their ultra-narrowband cousins. All are Calcium K-Line filters. One is gonna see more CaK lower chromosphere features than photosphere feature with the narrower bandwidth filters but that does not mean the wider bandwidth ones are useless. Push that Antlia filter to it's limits and it just might surprise you! And not everyone can spend 1,100+ for a CaK filter! I am encouraging you to use the Antlia wedge, not to be disappointed in it!

Using the ST80 stopped down should improve it's performance in white light or CaK!

If you find any good pictures taken through the Antlia wedge, post them. I'm interested.

James
Exactly that was the point, i couldn't spend 1000+ or even 500-800 for CaK that time, so when i saw Antlia brought this to be like an entry level to CaK or K-Line i asked myself why not giving it a try too, at lest something about solar to get wet with it until i can have money for better, but when i came here i felt like people are disappointing me more than encouraging because they have those $$$$$$ Ha and true CaK to image, so that put me in position to doubt about Antlia, but i have it anyway i won't give up or just stop using it, i already mentioned that i wasn't trying to compete or match with a true CaK, and if many people hate those results from the Antlia wedge then i have two options, 1 is to not spot them anymore, and 2 to post them and just don't care about people opinions, after all i don't have their $$$$$ to buy as they did and do same like them, i am sure if they didn't have money they won't buy and if i have money i will buy expensive CaK, so simple as that.

Here is someone result he sent to me, i encouraged him, i don't know if he can afford expensive CaK or not, but he is kind of holding on his Antlia as i do, and he is also trying ways to improve his results, so we will do our best to go far with this Antlia, after all we should thank Antlia to give us something cheap to start with rather than very very expensive high quality tools that many can't afford, Antlia can produce high quality filters for solar if they want, in fact even one Chinese company well known made a test dedicated solar telescope but i saw only one Chinese vendor/manufacturer used it, so i assume if they can make that t affordable price that will be great, we need more affordable gear so more people can start and get rather than only keep high end at high prices, this is in many things in life, but i always respect who can make some alternatives with good prices.

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/mo ... 162767.jpg

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
Again, the Antlia IS a CaK filter, just not an ultra-narrowband filter. The ultra narrowband ones can see stuff like the supergranulation and CaK prominences and flares while the more broadband ones cannot. Still it shows the plage/faculae areas very well across the disc as your posted image shows. This filter has uses my friend so exploit them!

If the Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers start manufacturing solar telescopes widespread, Ha and CaK it may end up being an upsetter for companies like Lunt and Coronado because they may get terribly undersold. They probably would not match Lunt's quality but many people starting out or people who cannot afford the price tag for a Lunt scope may opt out for a Chinese one. Chinese scopes sucked when they first started hitting the market back in the early 1990s but are much better now. Their probable solar instruments may do the same.

Ha and CaK solar should be affordable to all for a decent price, not just for the middle-class or the well off few!

I edited the picture you sent. I sharpened it a bit, adjusted the contrast and added color. When was it taken?

James

msg-15910-0-88174500-1647162767.jpg
msg-15910-0-88174500-1647162767.jpg (181.79 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by vkx86 »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:24 am If the Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers start manufacturing solar telescopes widespread, Ha and CaK it may end up being an upsetter for companies like Lunt and Coronado because they may get terribly undersold. They probably would not match Lunt's quality but many people starting out or people who cannot afford the price tag for a Lunt scope may opt out for a Chinese one. Chinese scopes sucked when they first started hitting the market back in the early 1990s but are much better now. Their probable solar instruments may do the same.
I think Synta & others can make air-spaced etalons without problem - they have all equipment to polish a piece of glass to required quality.
In a moment they'll conclude that they can compete in that very niche market they'll probably do that.
Given current geopolitical situation, Daystar & SolarSpectrum are in problematic position and their Ha market share may shrink, so Chinese stepping into air-spaced etalons is quite possible - I will not be surprised if Synta will buy Coronado and possibly improve the quality of etalons.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

It's just a matter of time until China gets into the etalon/solarscope market. Solar Astronomy has always been an expensive niche market in the whole of amateur astronomy. That is changing and if China can get the price of narrowband solar equipment down then solar astronomy will grow and become more profitable to the makers and more accessible to all. I don't think Lunt, etc will disappear though, they will always be higher-end makers of etalons.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Should i reveal about Synta? I assume you already know.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Yeah, sure!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Synta has manufactured telescopes for Orion for years. Orion also owns Meade Coronado so it could affect them. Currently Meade Coronado scopes are made in Mexico. Do you think if Orion moved production of Coronado scopes/etalons to Synta in Taiwan or China that it would benefit them?

Would Orion pocket the extra dough? Mexico already does it cheaper than the former U.S. Production does but the Coronado SolarMax III scopes are still expensive.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:04 pm I'll probably soon get an Antlia wide-band Calcium K-Line wedge myself.
Hi James,

Well let me save you some money then... You already have a solar wedge, why buy another? Use the wedge you already have and buy the filter separately.

Find out how much the filter on it's own is http://www.antliafilter.com/pd.jsp?id=1 ... &_jcp=3_10

I bet I can find you a filter that will work equally as good, if not better for less $$$

Mark

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:37 pm
DeepSolar64 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:04 pm I'll probably soon get an Antlia wide-band Calcium K-Line wedge myself.
Hi James,

Well let me save you some money then... You already have a solar wedge, why buy another? Use the wedge you already have and buy the filter separately.

Find out how much the filter on it's own is http://www.antliafilter.com/pd.jsp?id=1 ... &_jcp=3_10

I bet I can find you a filter that will work equally as good, if not better for less $$$

Mark
Hi Mark,
I accept your bet ...

Where ?

:cool:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:37 pm Yeah, sure!
Ok

Look at this image, the imager who is the owner of Player One brand if i am correct himself tested a prototype or a test scope from Skywatcher which is Synta for Solar, i asked him once but didn't get an answer, it has been a while, since last year, and i didn't hear from him, so if it is a reality will be out then i am not surprise if some others will follow Skywatcher for dedicated solar scope mostly from Synta, but if the price is really not cheap but cheaper than Lunt it might still an issue, but who knows, hopefully in future i can afford anything as a dedicated solar scope from 60mm aperture or longer.

https://player-one-astronomy.com/wp-con ... 04-s-1.jpg

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi James,

Mark
If i had a wedge i will do that, but i bought both together at good price anyway, i think i saw Antlia K-Line alone somewhere, in all cases i already told James about having another wedge so he doesn't need to change or swap filters in one wedge, i might buy another wedge only for my Continuum filter.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

I think the filter of this Antlia CaK filter is about $269, which means making their Wedge about $70, but they make both at good price, maybe the Wedge alone is more than $100 too, so having both for those who doesn't have anything is a good value.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq and Mark,
Sky-Watcher entering the solar market may put pressure on Lunt and Coronado. That’s probably good. More competition often results in lower cost for the buyer.

I’ll probably get the filter and wedge together. Especially if I can remove the filter. I could use a wedge for each scope! C102 and AT72EDII.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:44 pm Tareq and Mark,
Sky-Watcher entering the solar market may put pressure on Lunt and Coronado. That’s probably good. More competition often results in lower cost for the buyer.

I’ll probably get the filter and wedge together. Especially if I can remove the filter. I could use a wedge for each scope! C102 and AT72EDII.

James
James,

The decision of Skywatcher entering solar market isn't a good plan for them at this moment, they need more customers or buyers to assure they start and keep that way, Skywatcher has nice collection of affordable scopes, but those are not a big deal as so so many brands made scopes for DSO or even planetary and visual, but coming to solar side how many companies really made scopes for solar? That will give you an idea why it is maybe not a good idea for entering this market, but seeing that the Player One person used one is telling me that they are thinking about it, will they make it at larger volumes for people or not? Also will the price be affordable as i am sure making a solar scope mainly 60mm or 80mm isn't cheap, otherwise many can make those scopes.

I agree, i don't like to use one filter one wedge one scope and one camera and whatever, swapping a lot and changing and depending on one unit is limiting sometimes and also the unit is more prone for wearing off by the time maybe, i prefer to have two wedges to each each with different filters than have one wedge using it with 2-3 filters and i keep removing the filters, that is me, others might not bother having more units and just keep using one anyway, it is up to each person after all.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I hope Sky-Watcher in time does make the solar plunge. Time will tell...

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:42 am I hope Sky-Watcher in time does make the solar plunge. Time will tell...
And i hope two things in that case:

1. I use my Quark times enough to be good in Ha imaging so then be ready to upgrade later if so

2. To have enough budget to upgrade, either to Skywatcher if they decided to make the scope and out in markets, or with current popular maker.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:23 am
DeepSolar64 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:42 am I hope Sky-Watcher in time does make the solar plunge. Time will tell...

1. I use my Quark times enough to be good in Ha imaging so then be ready to upgrade later if so

2. To have enough budget to upgrade, either to Skywatcher if they decided to make the scope and out in markets, or with current popular maker.

I hope they come out with a ultra-narrowband CaK scope like Coronado once had. An affordable one!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:36 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:23 am

I hope they come out with a ultra-narrowband CaK scope like Coronado once had. An affordable one!!
I doubt they will, Ha solar has more requests, but CaK i don't see many request to my eyes
Last edited by TareqPhoto on Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

:(

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

rsfoto wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 pm
Hi James,

Mark
Hi Mark,
I accept your bet ...

Where ?

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-nuv- ... 6910-p.asp

I can hear people saying 'but that is 7nm and the Antlia is 3.5nm' At this broad pass it will make no difference to contrast - think about white (red) light imaging with a 35nm or 7nm or even 3nm Ha filter - there is no difference.

So why do I say this option is better than the 3.5nm Antlia, well 7nm lets in more light which means shorter exposure time. Down in the blue, the shorter exposure time the better.

Don't rush James! ;)

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:53 pm
rsfoto wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi James,

Mark
Hi Mark,
I accept your bet ...

Where ?

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-nuv- ... 6910-p.asp

I can hear people saying 'but that is 7nm and the Antlia is 3.5nm' At this broad pass it will make no difference to contrast - think about white (red) light imaging with a 35nm or 7nm or even 3nm Ha filter - there is no difference.

So why do I say this option is better than the 3.5nm Antlia, well 7nm lets in more light which means shorter exposure time. Down in the blue, the shorter exposure time the better.

Don't rush James! ;)
So, what is the difference between this filter and say UV filter used for planetary?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Tareq, not sure what UV filters are used for planetary? I don't image planets - have you a link?

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:58 pm Hi Tareq, not sure what UV filters are used for planetary? I don't image planets - have you a link?
Hi Mark,

One like this and one of the most famous UV filters for imaging Venus made by Schüler

and here the diagramm

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:58 pm Hi Tareq, not sure what UV filters are used for planetary? I don't image planets - have you a link?
This one

https://www.astroshop.eu/planetary-come ... r_0_select

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:19 pm
This one

Here a cheaper version

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/de/u ... 50nm).html

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

rsfoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:28 pm
TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:19 pm
This one

Here a cheaper version

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/de/u ... 50nm).html
I don't need a cheaper version because i already have an Astrodon UVenus filter.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Now if we use this UV filter in combination with K-Line or Synthetic NUV/CaK filter, will that make any better details in CaK band then?

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Don't rush James! ;)_Mark Townley

No chance on that. I would have to come into some cash to hurry! :lol:

I think Baader makes a Venus filter too.

Would a 430nm reveal faculae any easier than a 540nm would? I know, I would'nt have to ask the question if I would just use the filter!! :lol:

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars