Spring has arrived

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Spring has arrived

Post by Tigger »

IMG_5363 (2).jpg
IMG_5363 (2).jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1094 times
Warm Spring sunshine has arrived here in SE England and nature has woken up. This is a tree called Blackthorn. It has fond memories for me because in the Autumn, Blackthorn produces berries called Sloes. My Mum used to ask me and my Sister to go out and pick a basket of Sloes, but only after the first frost (usually in late October). We would then sit down and prick the Sloes with a needle. The magic could then begin. Mum put the Sloes and some sugar into a bottle of Gin or Vodka. The Sloes fermented and produced an oh so sweet but highly potent Sloe Gin or Vodka.

So when the Blackthorn flowers I always think of my Mum smiling with a glass of our Sloe Vodka in her hand.

Cheers

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Spring has arrived

Post by Montana »

Aah Sloe gin, fond memories of my Gran teaching me how to make this when I was a teenager. Is this a rite of passage :lol: Still have a bottle each winter to warm me up. Finding Sloes here in Cheshire is very difficult, we seem to get the flowers but not the fruit. I get mine from a friend in Lancashire.

Alexandra

Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Spring has arrived

Post by Tigger »

Hello Alexandra,

Its a shame you dont get many Sloes. Maybe the Blackbirds are very hungry or they get up early :)