2022 03 24 - Experimental barlow setup!

An archive of all the best images Solar Chat has to offer!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: 2022 03 24 - Experimental barlow setup!

Post by TareqPhoto »

Simon2940 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:56 am Yes u can use a 3X Powermate to get to f/15 however your spacing will be off making your back focus extremely long meaning your going to need more extension tubes than i have.
More extensions isn't a problem, that is why i said i want to use a diagonal, also i have tube extensions, and i do have ADC if that is an alternative to interference eliminator, but i really didn't know that imaging the sun needs all that much of back focus, i used A wedge and K-Line filter and it didn't take all that much of long back focus, not sure about the Quark, i will give it a try one day.

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Tareq,
I have a Quark Chromosphere with internal 4.2x barlow.
I don't have a Quark Combo, but I am unsure if I can use a low Focal ratio refractor.
I was wondering if I can beat a Celestron C14 by using a 5x barlow with a 120mm ED refractor at F9, so I have a focal length approx 5000 mm, much better than a Celestron C14, saving me 11000 USDollars in the process !!

Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Boso36 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:51 am Hi Tareq,
I have a Quark Chromosphere with internal 4.2x barlow.
I don't have a Quark Combo, but I am unsure if I can use a low Focal ratio refractor.
I was wondering if I can beat a Celestron C14 by using a 5x barlow with a 120mm ED refractor at F9, so I have a focal length approx 5000 mm, much better than a Celestron C14, saving me 11000 USDollars in the process !!

Magnus
Magnus,

It is very funny that Daystar is making Quark combo for no use, i don't think all people buying it will use either SCT or Mak, i do have the Mak with F/15, and i have PM 2x so i can crank that up to F/30, but if i can do that with reflector i can do that with refractors, so i can buy something like F8-F11 refr and place PM 2x or even PM 5x and i am there already, so why that won't work compared to the Quark with Barlow 4.2x, i feel people don't know if they don't test and then assume the worse, i bought this combo so i can use Barlow or focal extender myself.

Tareq

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that rear mounted etalons must have a parallel beam free of curvature entering the system. With f30 for Solarspectrum, is it f32 for a Quark? in order for the etalon to work at it's specified FWHM.

Therefore, this is why a Quark comes with a 4.2 telecentric before the Quark to achieve this. A telecentric is needed as powermates and barlows cause curvature of the light beam.

If you were to use a powermate or barlow it would have to come before the Quark not after it to achieve the correct f number entering it.

In cases like my C11 which is already at f10, I would get f42 if I used the standard Quark which would be too much. So they sell the Quark combo so I could choose to add a TZ3 before the Quark and get f30 instead.

I've lost the plot in this thread so I hope I haven't said what has already been said :)

Alexandra