Pressure Tuning Leaks on a Lunt

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rray6
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Pressure Tuning Leaks on a Lunt

Post by rray6 »

I have a question concerning my equipment that someone might be able to answer. I have a 10-year-old Lunt LS-80THAPT-B18F with the DSII internal double stack module. I was viewing the sun yesterday from my New Mexico observatory and I noticed that the pressure tuning knobs for both the telescope and the DSII unit seemed to be turning easier or more freely than I remember. I thought there used to be more resistance especially toward the end of tightening. I also noticed little change in the images when I loosened and tightened the knobs - at least not as much change as I remember. Is it possible that I don't have as good a seal as originally and the pressure tuning knobs are leaking? Is there something I can do to fix this (if it is a problem) - like adding some sort of grease on the tuning knob threads? I have not done much maintenance on this scope but it has always performed well for me. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

-Robert

Robert Ray
Last night as I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky, I thought to myself -- "Where the heck is the ceiling???"

www.redshift48.com
Lunt LS80 DSII B1800 f/7
WO 132mm f/7
Celestron 9.5 Edge HD f/10
Stellarvue 80mm f/7 Raptor SVR80ST2
WO Z73ii f/5.9 APO
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter and Baader Herschel Wedge (Photo)
PGR Grasshopper 3.0 (ICX687 - mono)
Player One Apollo M-Max IMX432
ZWO ASI178MM and ZWO ASI174MM with filter wheel
SBIG STT8300M
ZWO ASI2600MC-P
Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon Rebel T7i
AP 1200GTO (Permanent) and iOptron CEM60EC and CEM25EC Mounts
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Pressure Tuning Leaks on a Lunt

Post by marktownley »

I fished out my LS50 the other day and found the same. I haven't tried it, but also figured greasing the threads would help. I haven't done it yet, and not sure what sort of grease it is. I know you can buy the grease from Lunt.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
JochenM
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by JochenM »

Hi Robert

As Mark already pointed out, adding some grease to the threads is probably a good place to start. When I bought my LS50 a few years back, its threads were basically bone-dry and I added some simple silicone grease you can find in any DYI store; never had any issues with it. Additionally, inside the tuner knob there's an o-ring to keep things sealed. If that one has seen better days (you know how rubber seals get over time), it might be worth replacing it (Lunt sells them for a few €/$).

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
rray6
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rray6 »

Thanks Mark and Jochen for the suggestions. New Mexico climate can be harsh on things like grease and o-rings. I sent an email to Lunt yesterday detailing the issue. Hopefully, they will get back to me soon with some direction. I had been planning to put some silicone grease on the threads but will wait and see what Lunt says first. :bow :bow

-Robert

Robert Ray
Last night as I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky, I thought to myself -- "Where the heck is the ceiling???"

www.redshift48.com
Lunt LS80 DSII B1800 f/7
WO 132mm f/7
Celestron 9.5 Edge HD f/10
Stellarvue 80mm f/7 Raptor SVR80ST2
WO Z73ii f/5.9 APO
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter and Baader Herschel Wedge (Photo)
PGR Grasshopper 3.0 (ICX687 - mono)
Player One Apollo M-Max IMX432
ZWO ASI178MM and ZWO ASI174MM with filter wheel
SBIG STT8300M
ZWO ASI2600MC-P
Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon Rebel T7i
AP 1200GTO (Permanent) and iOptron CEM60EC and CEM25EC Mounts
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

I’d also suspect the o-ring if the piston’s getting easier to turn and the grease doesn’t improve things. Lunt used to send out replacements for free.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

I had a similar problem with my LS80 that I got used on Astromart. It’s 11 years old and the o-rings got soft. After replacing them I still had a leak on the DS unit. I sent it back to Lunt and the collimating lens was chipped and leaking. They replaced it for $40. Now it works with no problem.

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter