Firecapture remote server?

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Firecapture remote server?

Post by vineyard »

Hello,

I have a Q which may be a v silly one so here goes! Is it possible to use Firecapture via a remote server on an RPi?

For example, I can use EKOS via Kstars by setting up a remote server on an RPi - I connect to the Pi via ethernet, and through that can control for DSO imaging. (The laptop is used for the actual control, the Pi just acts as a relay I guess).

Can something similar be done w FC? I know FC can be installed on a Stellarmate RPi but I think that just uses the Pi for everything (image acquisition etc) which stretches a Pi to breaking point. So does FC allow itself to used in the same way EKOS can be?

Sorry if that's a daft Q.

Cheers,

Vin

JochenM
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Firecapture remote server?

Post by JochenM »

Hi Vin

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to do that with Firecapture (or any of the alternatives for that matter). I've had a similar idea cross my mind before, but based on what I could find; the only option is to control everything from the remote machine, which like you mentioned is a hassle for a whole bunch of reasons.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,

the only program (i am aware of) that could do that is Planetary Imager from Marco Gulino It could be run in a client server model (with the Gui on local computer and the capturing remote). https://planetaryimager.gulinux.net/ https://github.com/GuLinux/PlanetaryImager
Philp (GreatAttractor, on this forum) has been activelly contributed to the software.

However:
-don't know if it is still maintained
-if the sever par can run on an rPI (maybe you need to do the compilation yourself)

Regards,

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Thanks both JochenM & PDB. One thing I just noticed today when installing FC2.7 on another laptop (to test out USB3 speeds) is that in the Release Notes there is a bit on "INDI Support for Mac/Linux". I've cut & pasted some potentially intriguing bits of text below. It makes me wonder if you can connect to an INDI server from within FC2.7, and therefore to some of the hardware connected to that server, whether the could include the imaging camera and so download the images that way?

Unfortunately FC2.7 doesn't recognise my ASI178MMcool so I can't test that yet but may try it with an ASI290MM when I get a chance.

Cut & Paste bit:

INDI support for Mac/Linux
INDI support has been added into this release which allows using telescope, motorized filer wheels and focuser on Mac or Linux platforms. To connect to the INDI server open the FC INDI settings (Hardware -> INDI) and select the ‘Use INDI Server’ checkbox. Check host and port and press ‘Connect’. After a few seconds the green light should be shown indicating a successful connection:
To select a device go to the related FC settings (telescope, filterwheel etc) and choose the desired device from the dialog. Note that it might take a couple of seconds until FC connects:

(I can't paste the little graphic, but one of the options shown in a "Select INDI Device" mockup is "CCD Imager Simulator" & also "DSLR simulator" suggesting that maybe the imaging device could be connected via the INDI server?)

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,

no that will not be working. FC seems to show all devices connected to the INDI server instead of the relevant ones for the function (focuser, telescope ...)

A camera would need to show up in the camera selection screen and there I don't see an INDI selector.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Yes you're right Paul, I managed to get it to connect (for a bit) & in the INDI section there was no way of connecting to a camera. As it happens I'd posted a Q to Torsten on the camera not being recognised & he reverted so I've asked him this remote server Q. Will post what I hear back.

Cheers,

Vin

vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Heard back from Torsten & just posting this as an update for future reference. Sadly FC is not supported for running via a remote server. I guess the only way to avoid baking in the sunshine then is (a) v long USB cable, or (b) a more powerful scope side mini-PC that can handle the acquisition speeds and be VNC'd into (not a Pi then, although lets see the forthcoming Stellarmate Pro specs?). Cheers.