My way of creating a Mosaic

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

My way of creating a Mosaic

Post by rsfoto »

Answer copied from my message viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35485 where there was a question of contrast and how do I create mosaics

Hi,

I really do not adjust contrast as is. My RAW material after processing my AVI videos in AviStack 2.0 look like following after applying a Wavelets recipe I developed over years.

then after having made the full disc I try to adjust as good as possible my Blacks and Whites and the middle tones to make the disc look nice to my eyes. The last step is an Unsharpmask with 100% and 0.5 to 1.0 Pixel.

The first step is processing AVI videos in AviStack making a TIF image (16 bit :lol: )

Then I open all nine images in Photoshop and goto to Scripts > Load Files into Stack. Create a big Canvas 3000 x 3000 pixels and arrange my 9 images like below

1 6 7
2 5 8
3 4 9

Then comes the work of aligning. I drag image 1 to the top pf the list. Then take image 6 and look for a disctinctive feature and drag the image 6 to the image one. Having image 1 on top image 6 goes under image 1 but you still see the mouse and so you can position the feature of image 6 on the same feature of image. It does not matter if it fits or not but makes you job easier or quicker.

After that I drag image 6 to the top of the list and change the blending mode from " Normal "to " Difference ". Using difference if all is more or less perfectly overlaid makes it Black, of course in our case that is not possible as the images do not have the same RGB levels in those areas and so I try to make it as dark as possible. Having done that I go back to " Normal " for image 6 which is laying on top of image 1.

and so on dragging image 7 under image 6, then image 3 under image 1, then image 5 under image 6, image 8 under image 7 and last row is image 3 under 2, 4 under 5 and finally 9 under 8.

After doing that the disc look like below

Having that done I choose all images in the stack and go to Edit > Auto-Blend Layers and the result is as below

Interesting is to see how PHotoshop chooses the regions

OK, having made the Auto-Blend Layers I Flatten the image and go for Levels

BEFORE

AFTER

Having adjusted the levels so it looks pleasing to me the last step is to apply a delicate UNsharp Mask at 100% and between 0.5 and 1.0 pixel

Then I save in jpg format at 100% quality ...

Now that I have disclosed my Secrets I will change my hobby to something else :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anybody who wants to have a Zoom meeting where you can see it live while I am processing it is welcome. Just tell me. My time zone is UTC -5 hours. About my honorary we can negotiate ... but not less then US $ 500.00 per hour :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rsfoto on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: My way of creating a Mosaic

Post by Montana »

Thanks Rainer :)

Alexandra

PaulB