PST Etalon for double stacking Lunt 60

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Martin_S
Way More Fun to Share It!!

PST Etalon for double stacking Lunt 60

Post by Martin_S »

Hi , I recently flipped my LS50 front mounted etalon due to banding issues. So I'm back to single stacking .

Would it be feasible to use a PST etalon behind the internal Lunt etalon for double stacking?.

I can machine any adaptors that are needed.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

H alpha : ,Skywatcher 120mm F8 open frame refractor, a tilted 2" 7nm H-alpha filter as a sub energy rejection filter, Baader TZ4 telecentric focal extender, Player One energy rejection filter, Combo Quark Chromosphere, Naked PST etalon for double stacking, ASI74mm camera
MalVeauX

Re: PST Etalon for double stacking Lunt 60

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi,

Yes, but it will have a very small sweet spot and require some additional optics for amplification. To make it work with the collimator lens in the PST chamber, you'd have to re-work the position behind the Lunt focuser, this may be challenging to reach focus. You will probably have an easier time by removing the collimator lens and isntead put about a 4x telecentric there (inserting into the Lunt's focuser) and follow it with the PST etalon without its collimating lens so its sitting in a F28+ telecentric light cone so it will perform correctly and it should reach focus without much effort. The increase in isolation will reduce the jacquinot spot so your sweet spot will be significantly smaller, but it will work.

Very best,

Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

Thank you Marty, I think I'll do a PST mod instead for High Res work, the cost of a 4x telecentric is quite high in Australia.

Martin

H alpha : ,Skywatcher 120mm F8 open frame refractor, a tilted 2" 7nm H-alpha filter as a sub energy rejection filter, Baader TZ4 telecentric focal extender, Player One energy rejection filter, Combo Quark Chromosphere, Naked PST etalon for double stacking, ASI74mm camera
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

MalVeauX wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:31 pm Yes, but it will have a very small sweet spot and require some additional optics for amplification. To make it work with the collimator lens in the PST chamber, you'd have to re-work the position behind the Lunt focuser, this may be challenging to reach focus. You will probably have an easier time by removing the collimator lens and isntead put about a 4x telecentric there (inserting into the Lunt's focuser) and follow it with the PST etalon without its collimating lens so its sitting in a F28+ telecentric light cone so it will perform correctly and it should reach focus without much effort. The increase in isolation will reduce the jacquinot spot so your sweet spot will be significantly smaller, but it will work.
Neat idea Marty! I like it.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Martin_S wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:00 pm Thank you Marty, I think I'll do a PST mod instead for High Res work, the cost of a 4x telecentric is quite high in Australia.
Given you've already got a 4" f10 scope it makes more sense for you to use this for the PST mod. It's a very proven result.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

Thanks Mark, my 4" f10 scope performs great on Cak and WL It would be great to do H-alpha as well with minimal setup times.