Venus & Jupiter Conjunction at 0.39 degrees of separation | April 30th 2022

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Venus & Jupiter Conjunction at 0.39 degrees of separation | April 30th 2022

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

I took a stab at the Venus & Jupiter conjunction this morning. I couldn't do it in the dark due to my tree line not showing things under 14~17 degrees of elevation so I had to chance a daytime imaging session for this fun phenomena. I tried in 742nm infrared first but couldn't make out any bands on Jupiter. Yet, when I looked at it in 500nm or 600nm with a green or red filter, I saw bands fairly well. So I just imaged the two planets together in red wavelength since my morning seeing is ok, but not great, with some sunlight involved. I stacked 2800 frames to build up enough signal to noise ratio to balance the brightness of the two plants in post since Venus is significantly brighter. My image scale is 0.59 arc-seconds per pixel, so I think I ended up with a 0.39 degree separation of the two. I enjoyed seeing them in the telescope visually first and then imaged for a little bit to see if it was possible. I managed to get hints of brightness of Io (right) and Ganymede (left) and balanced the brightness of their `smudges' to be able to at least detect them and their relative positions. I had to do extensive clean up and masking to get a dark background as I had some clouds and the original exposure was more of a very light grey tone of the day sky. The pixel positions are real for my time frame of 0833 eastern time from Florida with any differences beings secondary to stacking results. I captured this in narrowband with a 150mm F8 refractor and an IMX253 sensor (3.45um pixels, mono) using an Astronomik red imaging filter, so the native image is black & white due to imaging in daytime conditions with a single filter wavelength. I was going to attempt color, but figured it wouldn't work out and didn't want to lose more time.

My daughter and I enjoyed seeing it in the eyepiece as well as on the screen this morning.

B&W:

Colored:

The previous morning:

Jupiter_Venus_Mars_Saturn_NamesOnly_04292022.jpg
Jupiter_Venus_Mars_Saturn_NamesOnly_04292022.jpg (401.24 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

150mm F8 Refractor
Astronomik red imaging filter
IMX253 (1.1" 3.45um mono sensor)
0833 Eastern Time

Emberlynn_Marty_Jupiter_Venus_Conjunction_04302022.jpg
Emberlynn_Marty_Jupiter_Venus_Conjunction_04302022.jpg (273.44 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

Very best,

rsfoto

Re: Venus & Jupiter Conjunction at 0.39 degrees of separation | April 30th 2022

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Marty,

Very well done

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
JochenM

Post by JochenM »

Nice shots, Marty. Having Io and Ganymede visible as well is a nice extra touch.

I was originally planning to view if myself (just visually though), but clouds decided otherwise unfortunately.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

HI Marty,
Nice work on Venus and Jupiter.
I was going to do it but find going to the local park at 3-4am to setup a bit scary....

So even in the daytime, I could try ! Yes, I have a 742nm IR pass filter, so could give it a try. I also need a Red filter (not H-alpha filter) so I might try it sometime in the daytme as well !!

I like your planets, though at 150mm it must be a bit tricky to use (heavy !!)

Nice to your children in the photo.

Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wow!! these are phenomenal :bow :bow :bow what an alignment! :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

Lovely to see your daughter enjoying herself too, how lucky she is to have you :girl:

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Brilliant! They are behind a hill from my house so i've not seen it other than online.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!