May 19 2022 Observations. M-class Flare in AR13014

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

May 19 2022 Observations. M-class Flare in AR13014

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time was from 15:20 until 17:31 UTC. The skies are partly cloudy with considerable high cloudiness. The seeing is below average. The temperature is 82F ( 27.7C ). Hazy.

Coronado SolarMax II 90 SS & DS. 32x and 50x ( Ha )
Today I could see a whopping thirteen active regions in the Ha chromosphere today! Seven in the northern hemisphere, five numbered and six in the southern hemisphere, five numbered.

AR13017 in the NE quadrant shows a scattered plage laced by wormlike filaments. A spot is noticed to the SW side of the region. To the east of AR13017 lies an unnumbered plage just off the limb. A filament lies just north of it. To the NW of AR13017 lies AR13014. It's visible as a plage containing spots. At the beginning of the session prompted by a SWL flare alert I caught am M1.17 flare just past max. I got it as a C9 class. Though small it was easy to see and faded rapidly and within 10 minutes was undetectable against the background plage. AR13015 to the south of AR13014 seems reduced today and has a couple of visible spots. AR13011 to the west of the former two systems is seen only as a small plage. I didn't notice the small filament shown there by the Big Bear GONG instrument. Two plages are seen in the far NW quadrant. AR13008 is the westernmost of these near the limb.

AR13007 is seen as a plage near the SW limb. A filament is noticed immediately to it's east and another to it's north. Well east of AR13007 lies AR13013 which takes a close look to see and is only a brightening under a small filament. AR13010 now past the CLM in the SW quadrant shows a filament among plage with a spot in it's western side. At session's beginning at the same time a flare was seen in AR13014 well to it's NE I saw a C-class flare going on in AR13010 as well. It was fainter than it's northeastern counterpart but was more elongated E-W and a bit bigger. Nice filaments are seen well SE and south of AR13010. AR13016 is seen some distance due east of AR13010 and shows a couple of spots with plage between them. The small plage of AR13018 is located just to the NW. A small hard to see disturbance is seen very near the limb east of AR13016. It lacks an NOAA number.

The most noticeable prominence is on the northwest limb. It's fairly tall with a void underneath. I see a couple of others on the NE limb.

The mottles are easily seen across the chromosphere today.

Celestron NexStar 102GT w/Altair wedge and 540nm Baader filter. 55x ( WL )
I can see eleven active regions on the 540nm photosphere today. Six in the northern hemisphere with five being numbered. I see five in the south with four having NOAA numbers.

AR13014 in the NE quadrant nearing the CLM is the most obvious active region on the solar disc. It's composed of 3 large spot areas with the eastern one looking like a four eyed alien head complete with horns, or large ears! The four eyes are spot umbrae and the head is the surrounding penumbra. The horns are two areas of smaller spots and pores. A spot west of the head is like a small thorax! An umbra lies in it's east side. The " abdomen " spot to the west is a fused umbra surrounded by a common penumbra. I can see a dark pore just to the NE of the " abdomen " spot and SDO high def images show some pores just west of it but I cannot pick them out due to the seeing. South of the abdomen spot of AR13014 lies a double spot that belongs to AR13015. A closer look during moments of better seeing reveals two more. One almost touching the fully structured western spot and another just north of the eastern spot. To the east of AR13015 I see four spots that belong to AR13017. All are small with the southernmost being the largest. The two easternmost ones are close together reminding me of a binary star. I can glimpse some pores elsewhere in the region but high definition SDO imagery shows them more clearly. Two facular regions are seen near the east-northeast limb. A couple of spots reside in the lower one and I see none in the upper one. A can see faculae near the NW limb that belongs to AR13008.

I can see AR13007 nearing the SW limb. The system shows three spots to my eye that are surrounded by faculae. This system seems to be dying back and in a state of decay. AR13010 is visible only as a single spot now in the SW quad. I can see a couple of pores east of it. AR13016 can be seen as two spots in the SE quadrant. A single pore marking AR13018 is seen to it's NW. A small unnumbered patch of faculae is seen almost at the SE limb.

The granulation is not noticeable today and can only be seen with a close look.

Carpe Noctem

James

GOES_M1.17flare_5-19-22.JPG
GOES_M1.17flare_5-19-22.JPG (46.33 KiB) Viewed 158 times
GONGha+SDOHMIc_5-19-22.JPG
GONGha+SDOHMIc_5-19-22.JPG (145.16 KiB) Viewed 158 times
SDOAIA94+SDOAIA193_5-19-22.JPG
SDOAIA94+SDOAIA193_5-19-22.JPG (155.83 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: May 19 2022 Observations. M-class Flare in AR13014

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the report James, I got back from work early(ish) yesterday and setup to image in CaK, but sky was very hazy and not ideal. I did get the sunoculars out and enjoy a beer sat in the garden with the good lady wife which was nice. Hopefully will salvage an image. You had a better observing session than me.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

An amazing report James, these really should be preserved for all time :bow

Alexandra

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for sharing James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

marktownley wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:43 am Thanks for the report James, I got back from work early(ish) yesterday and setup to image in CaK, but sky was very hazy and not ideal. I did get the sunoculars out and enjoy a beer sat in the garden with the good lady wife which was nice. Hopefully will salvage an image. You had a better observing session than me.
You are welcome, Mark. My sky was a bit hazy here with high clouds to boot but it did clear a bit during the second hour of the session.

Alexandra. I save snapshots of all of my observational posts and the images relevant for the day whether from GONG, KSO, SDO etc or my own. Thank you for the compliment.

You are welcome, Maurits!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount