Solar Scintillation Monitor

VENDORS WELCOME! Please, only solar equipment.
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Solar Scintillation Monitor

Post by vineyard »

Hello,

In the unlikely event that someone has an SSM they no longer use, I'd be v interested pls. Want to understand how good or volatile the seeing here is. Must be in excellent condition please.

Thanks & cheers,

Vin

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Solar Scintillation Monitor

Post by rsfoto »

vineyard wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:39 am Hello,

In the unlikely event that someone has an SSM they no longer use, I'd be v interested pls. Want to understand how good or volatile the seeing here is. Must be in excellent condition please.

Thanks & cheers,

Vin
Hi Vin,

IMHO better save that money for better things and with time you will be able to judge your seeing.

BTW, I process my AVI videos with AviStack 2.0 and there I get a diagramm of how much pixels my details moves and multiplying the pixel value by your image scale you can find out your seeing.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Thanks Rainer, that's intriguing. I use FC & ImPPG so I wonder if there's a way of extracting that info from there. There is the theoretical convenience of setting up an imaging trigger linked to an SSM reading so that you can go off and do s/t else (like do visual in WL...) but I suppose how often would that happen :lol:

Cheers!

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Vin,

I took 4 videos of past days and ehre the graph I get. By pure coincidence my image scale in H-alpha is 1.001" arcseconds per pixel so the seeing is 1.1 to my pixel deviation.

Then I look where the graph is more dense and so I can make a good guess about my seeing.

For example I would judge seeing for

May 19th a bit <1" or =1"
May 23rd ~1.5"
May 25th ~1" to ~ 1.25"
May 27th ~ 1.25" to ~1.5"

May 19th
May 19th
Pixel_Seeing_NHSA_20220519.JPG (47.93 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
May 23rd
May 23rd
Pixel_Seeing_NHSA_20220523.JPG (44.16 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
May 25th
May 25th
Pixel_Seeing_NHSA_20220525.JPG (49.35 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
May 27th
May 27th
Pixel_Seeing_NHSA_20220527.JPG (46.88 KiB) Viewed 1609 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

vineyard wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 pm Thanks Rainer, that's intriguing. I use FC & ImPPG so I wonder if there's a way of extracting that info from there. There is the theoretical convenience of setting up an imaging trigger linked to an SSM reading so that you can go off and do s/t else (like do visual in WL...) but I suppose how often would that happen :lol:

Cheers!
Hi Vin,

I do not know but do you really want to have a huge amount of truncated videos with a lot of different amounts of frames ?

I always take 480 frames at a speed of 16 fps and that is it and gives me a time frame os 30 seconds. My experience from many years. eg. since 2008, tells me that 30 seconds in my place is good enough to get the waves of good and bad seeing per video.

Sometimes I take 2 or 3 series of 9 videos and then I decide which series I process.

Look, on May 1st I took two series of 9 videos and then I decided to process the second series as I knew it is better. When I take more then one series in most of the cases I always process the last because I know that was the best.

NHSA_Video_Series.JPG
NHSA_Video_Series.JPG (209.01 KiB) Viewed 1607 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

That's a really good point about the videos - especially as for close-ups sometimes the image can move as well (and my old laptop creaks with the file sizes anyway).

Its also interesting sitting there next to the equipment (rather than wandering off), b/c I'm noticing the more you do that, the better you can sense when conditions might be improving (at least in your immediate vicinity) based on wind-speed & heat haze etc. I have to get a dark blanket or something like that though so that I can see the screen more sharply.

But for WL I really struggle for some reason - perhaps b/c I'm using an old 4" achromat & maybe the seeing just doesn't support that round here.

Thanks for saving me money!