strawberry "mineral" moon

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

cte
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

strawberry "mineral" moon

Post by cte »

The moon was low and almost full on sunday. I shot a mineral moon mosaic with a VMC200L at native focal (1975 mm) with an ASI 294mC color camera (uncooled).
The first version I think is the most realistic (I split and linear fitted the RGB channels with pixinsight and removed the green hue with SNCR). So it turns out to be mostly various shades of brown. The second version results from merging of the balanced one and a non-balanced one, just straight from the camera, after RGB align with registax. More colorful, but I believe less natural.
Attachments
mineral-natural_merged-3.jpg
mineral-natural_merged-3.jpg (9.88 MiB) Viewed 990 times
mineral-natural_merged-2.jpg
mineral-natural_merged-2.jpg (11.03 MiB) Viewed 990 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: strawberry "mineral" moon

Post by Montana »

Excellent shots :bow :hamster:

One day I must try this :) The Moon does look a sort of creamy brown colour in real life, so the second does look more natural I think. I've seen some very blue/red and green Moons and I wonder how much of this colour is artefact or real.

Alexandra

pedro
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by pedro »

This technique was "invented" by a Portuguese amateur - Filipe Alves
Sky and Telescope, volume 110, number 7, page 120. (S&T Homepage)

http://www.joaogregorio.org/blog/links/ ... ipe-alves/
Attachments
planisferiofinal3eng_BIG_ds.jpg
planisferiofinal3eng_BIG_ds.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 948 times

cte
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by cte »

I do the saturation increase with phoshop, applying several saturation levels, each increased by 4-5 %. I apply about 20 of these levels.
Usually I align the rgb channels during stacking with registax, but I believe that pixinsight does a better job in removing dominant colors.
Usually I improve the contrast in a non saturated luminance file (after wavelets, I apply some small radius contrast mask with photoshop) and I paste the color saturated image as a new level on top of the luminance file, which is merged as a "color" level. Some more tweaks with camera raw complete my processing. But I do get the feeling that some colors are camera/atmospheric artifacts