June 18 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

June 18 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time was from 15:45 until 18:15 UTC. The skies were partly cloudy at first and clear by session's end. The temperature was 78F ( ( 25.5C ) at the beginning of the session and 81F ( 27.2C ) at session's end. The seeing was just below average at the beginning of the session fading to poor by the end of the session. There's a stiff breeze, almost windy. Much lower humidity.

Coronado SolarMax II 90. SS & DS. 32x and 50x ( Ha )
I can see ten active regions on the Ha solar disc today. Seven in the northern hemisphere with five of those being NOAA numbered. I see three NOAA numbered systems in the southern hemisphere.

AR13038 is seen as a plage in the NE quadrant. Another smaller unnumbered plage is seen just SE of it. North of the unnumbered plage lies three filaments. Almost at the center of the disc barely north of the solar equator lies AR13034. It's visible as a spot with a slight plage and thin long curved filament. AR13033 lies NW of AR13034 and shows a thin dark filament overlying a plage there. Just NW of AR13033 lies AR13032 with a large easy filament curving north and northeast well out of the active region. A spot is seen there too. AR13030 is visible just to the SW of AR13032 as an area of interlaced filaments that seem to come from a spot to the west among plage. To the SW I see another patch of unnumbered plage. I can see some filaments in the NW quadrant near the limb.

A couple of filaments are noticed in the SE quadrant well off the limb. AR13034 is seen as plage nearing the CLM. It has a couple of filaments immediately to it's SSE. Another filament lies well to it's west. The far SW quadrant shows two active regions close together. AR13037 ( NW ) and AR13031 ( SE ).

Prominences are nice today. Two bright very easy ones lie on the NE limb. A nice group of proms lie on the NW limb. One looks like a man, or woman in shape while another one just to the north looks like a shopping cart he/she is pushing!! I noticed this easily before looking at the GONG image. I also see detail in proms on the SW and SE limb. I took a single image using my iPhone 13 Pro Max of the limb showing the prominences.

The spicule layer on the limb is visible with a close look. The disc mottles are easy.

Celestron NexStar 102 GT w/Altair wedge and 540nm Baader filter. 55x and 80X ( WL )
I can see eleven areas of activity on the 540nm photosphere today! Seven in the northern hemisphere with five being NOAA numbered systems. Four are visible in the southern hemisphere with three being numbered systems. I observed white light first for better seeing.

AR13038 is visible in the NE quadrant as an elongated group of spots with a larger one bearing a penumbra at it's eastern end. I notice tiny dark spot SE of the eastern larger spot and a couple of more tiny spots removed to the NW of the group. I see an unnumbered system as a tiny spot at the western end of a faint patch of faculae NE of AR13038. AR13034 is seen near disc center just east of the CLM and just north of the equator as a single spot that shows both umbra and penumbra. I can see the penumbra is lacking in the NE part of the spot. SDO HMI shows a tiny pore there but I cannot see it. AR13033 is visible only as a single tiny spot. WNW of AR13033 in the NW quadrant I see AR13032 as a spot showing an easy umbra surrounded by a penumbra. I can barely hint mottling in the penumbra. Three pores lie just east of this spot. Just SW of AR13032 lies the double spot region of AR13030. The spots are irregular in shape with penumbrae. Scattered pores lie between them. It looks like an area that could produce flares. Actually I did catch one here in an image yesterday! Just SW of AR13030 lies two spots amid faculae. This one is unnumbered.

The SW quadrant shows AR13037 ( NW ) as three pores among faculae. AR13031 ( SE ) shows itself as two spots bearing umbra/penumbra with the NW spot being the larger of the two. A triangle of three pores are seen just to the SE but are still a part of this system. AR13035 is seen just to the east of the Central Longitudinal Meridian as a double indistinct smearing of tiny pores. A patch of faculae without number is seen near the SE limb. I see no spots or pores there.

The granulation could be seen at the beginning of the session but was not obvious. It was totally unnoticeable at session's end.

Good day and Good Night everyone.

James

KSO_Ha_6-18-22.jpg
KSO_Ha_6-18-22.jpg (301.21 KiB) Viewed 296 times
KSO_WL_6-18-22.jpg
KSO_WL_6-18-22.jpg (159.14 KiB) Viewed 296 times
KSO_CaK_6-18-22.jpg
KSO_CaK_6-18-22.jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 296 times
SMII90_iPhone13_Limb_6-18-22_JP.JPG
SMII90_iPhone13_Limb_6-18-22_JP.JPG (911.63 KiB) Viewed 296 times
GONGCT_Ha_NW_6-18-22_16.22UT.JPG
GONGCT_Ha_NW_6-18-22_16.22UT.JPG (121.87 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Last edited by DeepSolar64 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Carbon60

Re: July 18 2022 Observations

Post by Carbon60 »

Thank you, James, for your detailed report.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
DeepSolar64

Re: June 18 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome Stu.

James
Last edited by DeepSolar64 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: July 18 2022 Observations

Post by marktownley »

Thanks James for the report, there is plenty to see on the sun this morning. I've been out with the DS50 and the DS90 a couple of hours ago, got some nice visuals myself and a set in Ha which are just processing. It's cool and damp this morning, 13c as I type this, and certainly when I was out about 7.30am was rather chilly, could see my breath and a coat was needed. Typical UK summer :lol:

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Wow Mark, it’s certainly cooler there than here. I’ll be heading out shortly myself and may set the SMII90 up to image. I always like your images. You are a very skilled solar imager.

And I am glad you liked my report.

James.
Last edited by DeepSolar64 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I just caught this typo. It was supposed to have been June 18th NOT July 18th. I corrected it.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks James for the report, there is plenty to see on the sun this morning. I've been out with the DS50 and the DS90 a couple of hours ago, got some nice visuals myself and a set in Ha which are just processing. It's cool and damp this morning, 13c as I type this, and certainly when I was out about 7.30am was rather chilly, could see my breath and a coat was needed. Typical UK summer :lol:_Mark Townley

I wonder what happened to your typical UK summer. I hear it's really hot there now. The former is what I always pictured for England. May be global warming....

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars