SOLAR300 Continuum - AR3034 equatorial sunspot at opposition

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Simon2940
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SOLAR300 Continuum - AR3034 equatorial sunspot at opposition

Post by Simon2940 »

Thats it! I want one!!!!!!!! Where do i gets me one of these scopes?

pedro
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by pedro »

OUTSTANDING HR WL image, congrats on SPOD

H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Laszlo Francsics wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:19 pm
Hi Alexandros,
there is a misunderstanding about the seeing. In Hungary the seeing is average or poor. We rarely have good seeing, because of the Carpatian-basin. Hence, it is necessary to avoid ground seeing. If one can deactivate groundseeing, the daylight seeing conditions are almost as good as during the night. For this good timing and location are crutial. Water surface, high hills, green surface, strong wind, high level cirri are key parameters. If the groundseeing can't be canceled, the outcome is catastrophic, many of the solar photographers experience that.
Christian Viladrich collected every necessary information in "Solar Astronomy" book.
Yes it is the same scope Christian pesented in a former post.

cheers,
Laszlo
Dear Laszlo,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. The last year I am struggling to find the right place in my country (Greece, which in general has a poor/average seeing), which will allow with the good timing to deactivate the groundseeing. Christian's experience is important (and this reminds me to make a second effort to get hold of his excellent book) and yours as well, given the results you have succeeded after making your own research on deactivating the ground seeing.

In your answer you mention "strong winds" together with water surface, high hills etc. The last two are in favour of the groundseeing deactivation. The strong winds are not against a good seeing? They favour good ground seeing? Also, I suppose your refer to low altitude winds and not the jetstream level of course. Isn't it?

Any detail you may provide from the conclusions of your experience will be extremely helpful to many people who have to fight against the low turbulence and me as well.

Congratulations and thank you once more!
Alexandros

Alexandros
Lunt 130MT+1800BF, C8 Ultima PEC+AstroSolar, Skywatcher Mount EQ6-R Pro
Baader Solar Prism, ZEISS Abbe Barlow 2x, Celestron Barlow 2x Ultima Series
ZWO ASI290MM, ZWO ASI1600MM Pro,
Greece
H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Hi Alexandros,
there is a misunderstanding about the seeing. In Hungary the seeing is average or poor. We rarely have good seeing, because of the Carpatian-basin. Hence, it is necessary to avoid ground seeing. If one can deactivate groundseeing, the daylight seeing conditions are almost as good as during the night. For this good timing and location are crutial. Water surface, high hills, green surface, strong wind, high level cirri are key parameters. If the groundseeing can't be canceled, the outcome is catastrophic, many of the solar photographers experience that.
Christian Viladrich collected every necessary information in "Solar Astronomy" book.

cheers,
Laszlo
Thanks a lot Laszlo for your answer and all the details.
Deactivating groundseeing is what I am trying all the last year by looking for appropriate locations in my country (Greece), which has an average/poor seeing in general. My balcony seems to be influenced a lot by the surrounding buildings, and I am trying to find the appropriate area in the countryside (where a good timing could provide satisfactory results), which is not easy.

This is why the work and experience of Christian and now your own experience and results as well are very precious for me, but for many other solar amateurs, I think.

You mentioned "strong winds" together with some positive factors like green surface etc. Unless I have completely misunderstood so far, I was thinking that the strong wind (at lower altitude and atmospheric levels, because it is well known that the jet-stream is a negative factor for seeing) is also creating a bad seeing. Isn't it? Did you mean the absence of strong winds?

Is the lake a place near where you live, or you ended up there after meticulous research and theoretical thought?

Anyway, whatever part of your experience regarding the seeing you can share, it will be really precious and welcome. Hope one day I can find a place like "your" lake, which could give results even half the way of the quality of your results. ;-)

Once more I wish to thank you and to congratulate you for your amazing results, and I am very glad you became part of the SolarChat community!

Best wishes,
Alexandros

PS: Strange things... I re-wrote my message because a while ago I could not see it, but now it appeared again! Sorry for the repetition...

Alexandros
Greece
galaxie427
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by galaxie427 »

:bow Simply superb!

Laszlo Francsics
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Laszlo Francsics »

H-Alpha wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:26 am
Hi Alexandros,

cheers,
Laszlo
Thanks a lot Laszlo for your answer and all the details.
Deactivating groundseeing is what I am trying all the last year by looking for appropriate locations in my country (Greece), which has an average/poor seeing in general. My balcony seems to be influenced a lot by the surrounding buildings, and I am trying to find the appropriate area in the countryside (where a good timing could provide satisfactory results), which is not easy.

This is why the work and experience of Christian and now your own experience and results as well are very precious for me, but for many other solar amateurs, I think.

You mentioned "strong winds" together with some positive factors like green surface etc. Unless I have completely misunderstood so far, I was thinking that the strong wind (at lower altitude and atmospheric levels, because it is well known that the jet-stream is a negative factor for seeing) is also creating a bad seeing. Isn't it? Did you mean the absence of strong winds?

Is the lake a place near where you live, or you ended up there after meticulous research and theoretical thought?

Anyway, whatever part of your experience regarding the seeing you can share, it will be really precious and welcome. Hope one day I can find a place like "your" lake, which could give results even half the way of the quality of your results. ;-)

Once more I wish to thank you and to congratulate you for your amazing results, and I am very glad you became part of the SolarChat community!

Best wishes,
Alexandros

PS: Strange things... I re-wrote my message because a while ago I could not see it, but now it appeared again! Sorry for the repetition...
Hi Alexandros,

Wind is important. Lack of wind kills solar photography, anytime, anywhere. The wind blows away low level turbulence, which is crutial for good resolution. In windy weather, the high level seeing can be little bit worse. But the benefit of deactivating the groundseeing is much bigger, than the loss of high level seeing.

I found my place after meticulous research and theoretical thought both. I've been searching for that certain place for years.

In Greece I would do the following: I would try to find a ridge or high point very close to and facing the sea, where wind comes from the direction of the sea, and there is nothing between you and the water. No other cliffs, buldings, hills. Thats all. Morning hours are better. Very stable equipment, strong mount is an advantage :-)

Laszlo

Laszlo Francsics
inventor, founder, deep thinker of Soleye
https://www.soleye.eu/
chairman of the Hungarian Astrophotographers' Association
https://magyarasztrofotosok.hu/en/
juror of the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition
Laszlo Francsics
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Laszlo Francsics »

Simon2940 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:26 am Thats it! I want one!!!!!!!! Where do i gets me one of these scopes?
Hi,

It is a custom made telescope, design by me, after consultations with couple of astrophotographers like Christian Viladrich.
It is manufactured by friend of mine (amateur astronomer as well), who has his own small automobile-component manufacturing plant, with CNC- and electro discharge machines. He did a quite nice job.
The net weight of the OTA is about 13,3 kg, With filter wheel, camera and guiding it is about 14 kg.
I asked him how about reproduction of the telescope.
The response was at least five pieces of intruments, otherwise unfortunately it isn't worth for the manufacturing. So if four more person is interested and want to order a telescope like mine, I can help you with the process.

Laszlo

Laszlo Francsics
inventor, founder, deep thinker of Soleye
https://www.soleye.eu/
chairman of the Hungarian Astrophotographers' Association
https://magyarasztrofotosok.hu/en/
juror of the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition
H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Laszlo Francsics wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:11 pm
Hi Alexandros,

Wind is important. Lack of wind kills solar photography, anytime, anywhere. The wind blows away low level turbulence, which is crutial for good resolution. In windy weather, the high level seeing can be little bit worse. But the benefit of deactivating the groundseeing is much bigger, than the loss of high level seeing.

I found my place after meticulous research and theoretical thought both. I've been searching for that certain place for years.

In Greece I would do the following: I would try to find a ridge or high point very close to and facing the sea, where wind comes from the direction of the sea, and there is nothing between you and the water. No other cliffs, buldings, hills. Thats all. Morning hours are better. Very stable equipment, strong mount is an advantage :-)

Laszlo
Laszlo you are very kind! Thanks sooooooo much!

I am glad that you found your paradise seeing after lot of research! It is much better when your reach your goal after hard work. :-)

First of all, I did not know that wind is helping us deactivate the ground seeing. This is precious info.

Secondly, I am so happy that the characteristics of the places I should look for are exactly those that are on the top of my list after my theoretical research the last year!!!! There are only three places like this in Greece (because despite the fact that there is sea everywhere, all the Aegean has strong turbulence because the sea is surrounded by land and contains lots of islands one after the other. Also the prevailing winds come from land/north in most places...). I have been already in the first one (that in addition combines the darkest skies during the night) and will continue trials. If not satisfied will try the second and so on.

If I reach my goal as you did, you will be very welcome that day to visit me! :-) I am planning to build a small stone house and set up an observatory with my scopes... It is my dream for the remaining years of my life. :-)

Thank you once more Laszlo. I wish you to have many days of fantastic seeing in the near future, so that you can amaze us with your incredible scope and photos.

Best wishes,
Alexandros

PS: Please ask your friend an indicative price if Simon and three more would wish to buy such a scope. Feel free to send a PM if you prefer this way.

Alexandros
Greece