Reflectors for solar imaging

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Reflectors for solar imaging

Post by TareqPhoto »

christian viladrich wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:00 pm Each telescope design has its pro and cons, and as in all technical fields there is a bit of a learning curve (optics, use of the telescope, collimation, focusing, processing, etc.), and of course seeing conditions matter.

Just to have some comparisons, here is what you can get in excellent conditions with a 300 mm Newtonian :

http://astrosurf.com/viladrich/astro/so ... 96-5nm.jpg

http://astrosurf.com/viladrich/astro/so ... 96-5nm.jpg

A 200 mm SC telescope in average condition :
http://astrosurf.com/viladrich/astro/so ... -B1920.jpg

A 150 mm telescope (refractor) in average condition, with now completely obsolete camera :

http://astrosurf.com/viladrich/astro/so ... nUT-rl.jpg

Below 150 mm aperture, and as explained by Marty, refractors are much easier to use. And issues to be solved increase significantly with aperture.
That is a great explanation, thank you very much

I hope this reflector is also applied for let's say Ha solar and CaK solar, while for white light either solar film/foil or Wedge or Continuum i see it is always possible with reflectors, but when it comes to Ha and CaK i see that refractors are almost the only choice then.

I will see what i can do with my reflectors for white light only, i won't risk using them for other solar imaging, at least not CaK, while for Ha i can't find a cheap D-ERF for the Mak to make it possible, so i better pass this kind of risk and stay with refractor choice, i think 152mm is a natural choice for maximum, i can always stop it down,and the conditions in my country is always allowing because we have all kind of conditions here and i will never be coward to assume we have like 200 bad conditions and ignoring 100 nice great conditions, even if it is 30-60 great conditions i will go with larger aperture anyway.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok, i won't bring my old thread/topic about the Quark, so i will ask here very simple.

Can you recommend me any good cheap or affordable "Telecentric" Barlow that i can use with my Quark? I don't know what is the Telecentric different than standard Barlow or even a focal extender, and why it is almost recommended with the Quark over standard barlow.

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Christian,
Your high resolution images are awesome. The 12" photosphere images even show the intergranular bright points which is something almost never seen in amateur images though large scope professional images regularly show them. Those blow me away every time I see them.

How well does the 30mm show the granulation visually? By eye? I am sure a filter is required as it typically is to get the contrast high enough to be seen well.

You asked me to colorize a couple of images a week or so ago before I left to visit my dad. I just remembered them. I'll get to it.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:43 am Can you recommend me any good cheap or affordable "Telecentric" Barlow that i can use with my Quark? I don't know what is the Telecentric different than standard Barlow or even a focal extender, and why it is almost recommended with the Quark over standard barlow.
Lets keep the topic on post. Start a new thread.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok