Off-band H-alpha images

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Off-band H-alpha images

Post by thesmiths »

By using the "pixel shift" feature of our software, we stepped through the H-alpha line from slightly blue (top left) to slightly red (bottom right). The mosaic below is from -7 to +7 pixels. Data is from a single SER file taken at 06:56 UTC on July 16. Click on the image to see at a larger scale.

The centre (minimum brightness) of the H-alpha line corresponds to the central image. Each shifted image corresponds to a wavelength displacement of 7.9 picometers. The theoretical spectral resolution is about 20 picometers (0.2 angstroms). The range of wavelength shift from blue to red is a total of only 1.1 angstrom. This shows how important the proper tuning of an etalon filter is.

Mosaic of SHG images, pixel shifted from -7 to +7. 700mm FL, 106mm aperture, 2400 l/mm grating, 9 micron lithographic slit.
Mosaic of SHG images, pixel shifted from -7 to +7. 700mm FL, 106mm aperture, 2400 l/mm grating, 9 micron lithographic slit.
075633_shift=--7-to-7-small.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 295 times

If you look carefully, you can see the Doppler shift due to the solar rotation. Assuming the rotational speed at the equator is v = 2 km/s, the Doppler shift from the east to the west limb is 2 x v/c x 656.3nm = 8.75 picometers.
Last edited by thesmiths on Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Off-band H-alpha images

Post by Montana »

I really love it how you can extract so much data from just one video file :bow :bow :hamster:

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Off-band H-alpha images

Post by marktownley »

Brilliant comparison Douglas.

I'm going to make a copy of this for the reference library as a lot of etalon users will find this useful to I think.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!