Telecentric Barlow for the Quark combo

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Telecentric Barlow for the Quark combo

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me any good cheap or affordable "Telecentric" Barlow that i can use with my Quark? I don't know what is the Telecentric different than standard Barlow or even a focal extender, and why it is almost recommended with the Quark over standard Barlow.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Telecentric Barlow for the Quark combo

Post by marktownley »

It all depends what scope you are using it on....

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:32 pm It all depends what scope you are using it on....
For the Quark i didn't decide yet on which scopes, i am still planning to buy one of those 150mm mainly that Bresser 152mm achromatic, and i still not sure if to buy that F/5 version or ~F/7.9 version, i am thinking about stopping down the scope if possible so i can have slow speed anyway, but i was thinking about F/5 so maybe one day i can use it for astrophotography say DSO or planetary too.

I have ST80, i am still searching for the original stock focuser so i can use this Quark with it, it has that aperture mask cap to convert it, i also have 60mm ED doublets and 90mm triplet and 72 Quintuplet, but i am still not sure if i can use reflectors such as my Newt or Mak if i can buy a frontal ERF, but i think i won't bother if that will cost me more and could be risky too if i don't know what i should buy and put, so for now without planned 152 the scopes i can think to use are: ST80 if i find the focuser, 90mm APO triplet, 60mm ED doublet, Canon 300mm f2.8 lens maybe with Canon 2x extender.

Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:24 am Hi,

Can anyone recommend me any good cheap or affordable "Telecentric" Barlow that i can use with my Quark? I don't know what is the Telecentric different than standard Barlow or even a focal extender, and why it is almost recommended with the Quark over standard Barlow.
Hi Tareq, it's recommended to have a telecentric as it keeps the light cone parallel.. you have a 4.2 telecentric in your quark so it makes sense to keep it in parallel
This from baader explains the difference quite well...
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/b ... c-systems/
A powermate is a telecentric lense

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Sol seeker uk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:57 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:24 am Hi,

Hi Tareq, it's recommended to have a telecentric as it keeps the light cone parallel.. you have a 4.2 telecentric in your quark so it makes sense to keep it in parallel
This from baader explains the difference quite well...
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/b ... c-systems/
A powermate is a telecentric lense
Hi,

2 things for you to clarify:

1. My Quark version is the combo, which is "Without" telecentric barlow/lens

2. I have Powermates, 2x and 5x, i am thinking about adding 4x in future to have almost near complete set of PM, but for solar i don't know if Powermate is good enough.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

The 4x powermate would be a good choice Tareq

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

I see the combo is designed for native high focal length scopes so it hasn't got any amplified Barlow's within..
Did you have a scope in mind to use it with? Or is this with a future purchase?
Good to see Daystar having this option

Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

How do you mean if a powermate is good enough?

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:10 am The 4x powermate would be a good choice Tareq
Saying that it means any Powermate is also nice, i mean 2x is less magnification and 5x is too much, so i don't think that only 4x is the high quality upon the other ones, but i will think about adding 4x in future anyway.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Sol seeker uk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:22 am I see the combo is designed for native high focal length scopes so it hasn't got any amplified Barlow's within..
Did you have a scope in mind to use it with? Or is this with a future purchase?
Good to see Daystar having this option
I bought the combo version for that purpose, i mean i like to decide on which Barlow to use rather than they put a fixed one, limiting my choices anyway.
The scope i am thinking about are my current ones such as ST80 [80mm F/5] and 90mm f/6 triplet and 60mm f/6 ED doublets and maybe in future something like 152mm achromatic for close up details on surface.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Sol seeker uk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:24 am How do you mean if a powermate is good enough?
I mean i remember a member somewhere i don't remember advised me not get a Powermate but instead something else like Baader Telecentric i think, so i was confused about why a Powermate which is a telecrntric from what i read isn't good compared to something like Baader, maybe there are things more details i don't know about, i have two Powermate already and a third one as 4x i can buy for lunar and planetary, but for solar i want the best telecentric lens i can buy and not something of so so.

Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

I've never read anything other than positivity regarding powermates.. lots of solar and planetary imagers use them

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:28 pm
Sol seeker uk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:24 am How do you mean if a powermate is good enough?
I mean i remember a member somewhere i don't remember advised me not get a Powermate but instead something else like Baader Telecentric i think, so i was confused about why a Powermate which is a telecrntric from what i read isn't good compared to something like Baader, maybe there are things more details i don't know about, i have two Powermate already and a third one as 4x i can buy for lunar and planetary, but for solar i want the best telecentric lens i can buy and not something of so so.

I have also been told by several people that the powermates are not truly telecentric, and so are good but not optimum for use with rear mounted etalons. Apparently the Baaders are specifically designed for that application. But I have no idea how big the difference really is in practice.

I have the full Powermate set for use on my Lunt (and occasional lunar/planetary). I much prefer the 4x to the 5x, and actually don't use the 5x at all anymore since I got the 4x. The 5x is usually too much for my seeing and in any event way oversamples on my camera. The 2.5x and 4x are by far my most used, depending on seeing, so I would definitely recommend the 4x for general use.

Kevin

Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sol seeker uk »

KMH wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:38 pm

I have also been told by several people that the powermates are not truly telecentric, and so are good but not optimum for use with rear mounted etalons. Apparently the Baaders are specifically designed for that application. But I have no idea how big the difference really is in practice.

I have the full Powermate set for use on my Lunt (and occasional lunar/planetary). I much prefer the 4x to the 5x, and actually don't use the 5x at all anymore since I got the 4x. The 5x is usually too much for my seeing and in any event way oversamples on my camera. The 2.5x and 4x are by far my most used, depending on seeing, so I would definitely recommend the 4x for general use.

Kevin
So I take it that you're reasonably happy with a powermate as you have the full set, and no experience with the baader ones..

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Sol seeker uk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:40 pm
KMH wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Kevin
So I take it that you're reasonably happy with a powermate as you have the full set, and no experience with the baader ones..

Yes, I'm very happy with the Powermates, except I probably wouldn't bother with the 5x if I had it to do over again. Not that there's anything wrong with it - it's just not a great match to my seeing/camera. But I don't have any experience using them with a rear mounted etalon, so I can't comment on how they would be with a Quark.

Kevin

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ok, thank you very much